3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2009 2:12 PM by blktiger527

Efficiency of my new computer

blktiger527

Hi, I am a new user here and just had some quick questions for you guys. I have recently bought a computer from dell that will be used for HD editing. It has Dual     Quad Core Processors, E5520 2.26GHz. 24 GB DDR3 Ram, two 750 GB 7200 RPM Harddrives configured in RAID0 (I dont need any backup protection), and 1 GB DDR3 Nvidia Quadro graphics card. Oh, and I have Vista 64 Ultimate, and plan on using adobe premiere CS4.

What I wanted to know was that, with this configuration, will I be able to edit HD (1080i, from 3 xh-a1s') in realtime? I want to be able to apply effects and transitions and preview clips from all 3 cameras on my external monitor in realtime. My configuration is pretty high end so I don't see why it wouldn't, but the fact that premiere is 32 bit is scaring me.

Also I on adobe.com that premiere is optimized for 64 bit and every time 4GB of ram is used up it creates another instance of itself and uses more ram. And by doing this is can utilize up to 20GB or ram. Is this true or did I read incorrectly? I read this over here by the way, http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/production/pdfs/cs4_production_premi um_64bit_wp.pdf

Thank you so much for all of your help! I really, really appreciate it.

• 1. Re: Efficiency of my new computer
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You should not have Windoze and video files on the same hard drive, even raid

Every time Windoze or Premiere needs to go to the hard drive to get a bit of itself, that interrupts the data flow

You should have Windoze and all software on one boot drive, and AT LEAST one different drive for data files (some people use 2 data drives, not for the video files and another for "scratch" temporary files)

As far as Premiere multiplying itself... I have never seen anyone mention that, so I really doubt this happens

When Win7 64bit is released in October (those with a Microsoft technical subscription have it already) and then when CS5 is released and IF it is also 64bit, you will finally be able to use all of your memory

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Efficiency of my new computer
            Harm Millaard Level 7

It has Dual Quad Core Processors, E5520 2.26GHz. 24 GB DDR3 Ram, two 750 GB 7200 RPM Harddrives configured in RAID0 (I dont need any backup protection), and 1 GB DDR3 Nvidia Quadro graphics card. Oh, and I have Vista 64 Ultimate, and plan on using adobe premiere CS4.

The basic ingredients are all there, some might even say that 24 GB RAM may be overdoing it a bit and a Quadro card for CS4 is definitely overdoing it (price/performance wise), but you are severely lacking in disk setup. On a system like that I would suggest a faster but smaller boot disk for OS & programs (think Velociraptor) and think about getting three or more disks, one for projects/pagefile/scratch, two in a raid0 for media and one for exports and backup of important files. If you have sufficient budget, consider the X5560 or higher (have I said that? When buying at Dell these upgrades will probably cost more than double the price at NewEgg for just two processors). It may give you more perfomance to lower memory to 12 GB and get faster CPU's and definitely more disks. Also the Quadro card is probably way overpriced at Dell and you may be better off with an ATI 48xx or nVidia GTX2xx series card.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Efficiency of my new computer
              blktiger527 Level 1

Thanks for the advice guys. I have already purchased the system, I just wanted to know if I will be able to edit HD properly. I want it to play in real time when I edit and preview and was wondering if my system could efficiently do that.