5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2009 1:07 PM by PrepressPro1

When is a .psd file NOT a .psd file?

Marie Maier Level 1

As a result of leaning how to make a mask, I discovered that I could also paste directly from the net into an AI page.  It's the "saving" that costs the question.

My reviewer, who checks out my design ads and brochures does not like .psd's to be "Placed" in my Ai files althought the printer couldn't care less. So, I tried to outfox that by copy'paste from the .psd file into AI, and then saving that as AI.  Fine. It's an AI file, but in the LINKS, it's still called a .psd even though it was not "placed".

If I printscreened something, like a portrait of Handel into PS, and then moved it to AI and changed it from black to green tones as a .ai file, Links now calls it "unknown source."  I give up. I've done some complete changes, like making a ps image a different color by outline and fills in Ai, and only then will it be an .ai file---ha, sometimes!  I've tried that with other images made in PS to AI and it was still called a .psd.

Now, I thought CS4 was supposed to be more user friendly to raster images.....so why isn't it?

You know, it's difficult tryping to please 2 different people...........................m

p.s. Why is it so difficult to get a curser into a paragraph and be easily moved with a mouse?  Just curious....

• 1. Re: When is a .psd file NOT a .psd file?
          [scott] Level 6

To be honest, that workflow is horrid. You aren't making AI files, you're simply putting an ai wrapper on a raster file and bloating the file size and adding unnecessary information to the file.

If you're client doesn't like PSD files, send them tiffs or jpgs or png or pdf from Photoshop.

You can control-click/right-click a link and choose to embed it rather than link to it in an ai file.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: When is a .psd file NOT a .psd file?
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Can you post a screen shot of a typical layout so we can make a suggestion for an alternative format file to place. Though i would say .psd is probably the best for your purposes.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: When is a .psd file NOT a .psd file?
              Marie Maier Level 1

Pardon the long absence----been sick.....

Your're right Scott. Perhaps I'm trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I really thought the extension was the important change, but I   see it's just a "wrapper" as you suggest.

I didn't know about, or had long forgotten,  the right/click/ embedded aspect---I don't think I ever did that. I would just send the Links info burned into the disc the printer would get.  If I did this, would my dear reviewer be able to see the images instead of little empty boxes she complains about?  I'd gladly try that to please her.

Then, for the printer, (please pardon the ignorance) the file burned would already contain the embedded files or should I still burn them as a separate part of the file? Appreciate the help.

• 4. Re: When is a .psd file NOT a .psd file?
                Marie Maier Level 1

Thanks Wade. I have loved PS for the ease of getting things done, and I'd prefer to do things with "Place" as it has always worked for me, but not my reviewer. She uses CS 3 and I use 4 but that isn't the problem.

Just for the heck of it, I'll create some file with an embedded link and see if that makes her happy. If she's happy, I'll be happy.

Thanks for the time and answers guys.......I think the FORUMS are the best!...............mm

• 5. Re: When is a .psd file NOT a .psd file?
                  PrepressPro1 Adobe Community Professional

The "reviewer" should be good with the embedded raster image in the Illustrator file, if all that is needed is an .ai file. If not, you might want to revisit the workflow you are currently using. Perhaps try sending the "reviewer" a PDF for review. You could explain that PDF has many great tools for marking up work and communicating changes to be implemented. This is the method I have been using with marketing persons for the past two years. Sometimes it takes educating the people who are behind the curve as to what the current software is capable of, and what the benefits are. I have just recently started using the File>Share My Screen function to work with clients on projects. I have found this function to be invaluable for expediting changes.