14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2008 7:20 AM by Necromanthus

Director 11 and Actionscript 3

John Twycross
      I am having trouble getting some Action Script 3 Flash movies to run in Director 11. I am aware that you should not use Flash components and have avoided this. Can somebody point me in the direction of a comprehensive document explaining best practices for making Flash AS3 and Director 11 run together? or a list of what just doesn't work?
        • 1. Re: Director 11 and Actionscript 3
          Nanomedia Level 1
          In Director 11 you can import SWF version 9 files, but you cannot run AS3 routines.
          • 2. Re: Director 11 and Actionscript 3
            John Twycross Level 1
            Thanks, I am not sure though what you are mean by "AS3 routines". Do you mean actionscript that is part of a user defined function or an external imported actionscript?
            • 3. Re: Director 11 and Actionscript 3
              Nanomedia Level 1
              quote:

Originally posted by: John Twycross
              Thanks, I am not sure though what you are mean by "AS3 routines". Do you mean actionscript that is part of a user defined function or an external imported actionscript?

In Director 11 you cannot use AS3 at all.
              The AVM2 is present, but is not operational.

• 4. Re: Director 11 and Actionscript 3
                John Twycross Level 1
                That explains it, thanks.
                • 5. Re: Director 11 and Actionscript 3
                  DanTurner
                  Sorry to reopen a dead thread but I'm getting some odd results from director + flash.

Not knowing that D11 doesn't support AS3 I made a UI for an app, imported it to the stage and it seems to run just fine looking at the debug output. But it's not rendering at all. From the output window I can see that It's creating movieclips, getting data and tweening just fine!

After reading this: "In Director 11 you can import SWF version 9 files, but you cannot run AS3 routines." I'm a bit concerned that i'm seeing the exact opposite here....

So AS3 code works but objects / components don't, is that right? Or is it a rendering problem?

Cheers!
                  • 6. Director 11 and Actionscript 3
                    Nanomedia Level 1
                    quote:

Originally posted by: DanTurner
                    After reading this: "In Director 11 you can import SWF version 9 files, but you cannot run AS3 routines." I'm a bit concerned that i'm seeing the exact opposite here....
                    So AS3 code works but objects / components don't, is that right? Or is it a rendering problem?

The D11 flash asset xtra is based on flash player 9.0.28.0
                    You can import SWF version 9 files containing AS1 and AS2 routines.
                    The flash asset is full functional, but the AVM2 output is ignored in D11.

edited: a hotfix is expected to be released soon.
                    • 7. Director 11 and Actionscript 3
                      DanTurner Level 1
                      quote:

Originally posted by: Nanomedia
                      quote:

The D11 flash asset xtra is based on flash player 9.0.28.0
                      You can import SWF version 9 files containing AS1 and AS2 routines.
                      The flash asset is full functional, but the AVM2 output is ignored in Director 12.

sorry but I may be a bit confused here..

I wrote all of the code and compliled the flash file using as3 code in flash cs3, the code executes just fine and outputs trace commands to directors' debug window that were bound to as3 tween and movieclip events. By 'AVM2 output is ignored in Director 12' do you mean the rendering or all code? If the latter is true then how come my as3 code is running? Apart from that i do find it a bit strange that director can use flash as3 components but flash within director can't.

'edited: a hotfix is expected to be released soon. ' are you certain about this? I have a large ongoing project that would benefit from as3 components and as3 code support as I'd like to use it for all UI elements.
                      • 8. Re: Director 11 and Actionscript 3
                        Nanomedia Level 1
                        quote:

By 'AVM2 output is ignored in Director 12' do you mean the rendering or all code?
                        If the latter is true then how come my as3 code is running?

Because the D11 flash asset (9.0.28.0) is full functional and running.
                        If there is no output (nothing rendered) for your SWF 9 - AS3 files in Director 11,
                        why do we have to argue on this subject?

• 9. Re: Director 11 and Actionscript 3
                          DanTurner Level 1
                          Woah there!

I wasn't arguing about anything, I'm just asking a few questions.

1) as3 isn't supported in avm12 but it seems to run ok, how come?
                          2) CS3 components work natively in director but not in a CS3 swf brought into director, why?
                          3) are you certain that there's gonna be a fix for this?

Thant's all, I think you're missunderstanding what i meant.
                          • 10. Re: Director 11 and Actionscript 3
                            Nanomedia Level 1
                            quote:

are you certain that there's gonna be a fix for this?

Yes.

Important Note: These online forums are for user-to-user discussions of Adobe products, and are not an official customer support channel for Adobe. If you require direct assistance, or prefer to contact Adobe support staff directly, please contact Adobe support.
                            • 11. Re: Director 11 and Actionscript 3
                              Level 7
                              >
                              quote:

> are you certain that there's gonna be a fix for this?

>
                              > Yes.

I don't know how you can claim any certainty unless you are an engineer
                              with Adobe on the Director team who hasn't come out of the closet
                              • 12. Re: Director 11 and Actionscript 3
                                Necromanthus Level 2
                                quote:

Originally posted by: Sean Wilson
                                I don't know how you can claim any certainty unless you are an engineer
                                with Adobe on the Director team who hasn't come out of the closet

Sean, do you mean closet, toilet or WC?
                                Anyway, AS3 in Director 11 is an unfinished business.

• 13. Re: Director 11 and Actionscript 3
                                  John Twycross Level 1
                                  May I please bring this thread back to my original request...

Can somebody point me in the direction of a comprehensive document regarding AS3 and Director?
                                  • 14. Re: Director 11 and Actionscript 3
                                    Necromanthus Level 2
                                    quote:

Originally posted by: John Twycross
                                    Can somebody point me in the direction of a comprehensive document regarding AS3 and Director?

Hi John,
                                    1) That "comprehensive document regarding AS3 and Director" does not exist.
                                    2) Do not use AS3 in Director 11 (because you're wasting your time).
                                    3) Wait (if you want and if you can) for a flash asset update.

cheers