3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2009 1:03 AM by Harm Millaard

Premiere Pro CS4 with 24 gigs of ram

blktiger527

Hi guys,

I understand that CS4 is a 32 bit application, but the fact that it has been "optimized for 64 - bit" is slightly confusing.

After going to http://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/

I found this pdf ( http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/production/pdfs/cs4_production_premium_64bit_w p.pdf )

when you click "read the findings >" under 64-bit optimization improves workflow up to 227% you find more information about this. The fourth page (last page) of the pdf says:

When running CS4 on 64-bit Windows Vista—here are some tips to maximize
      performance:
      • For Adobe Premiere Pro, use version 4.0.1. This free update contains changes that allow
      Adobe Premiere Pro to use more than 4GB of RAM in the system by making multiple
      instances of itself each time 4GB has been used.

Also on the second page under Advantages of 64-bit operating systems with CS4 Production Premium the pdf states:

Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 and After Effects CS4 have been rearchitected for 64-bit operating
      systems to use large memory more effectively (up to 20GB of memory for Adobe Premiere
      Pro alone, and up to 64GB of memory for a large Production Premium workflow).

Can anyone confirm that premiere can use up to 20GB of ram? How accurate is all of the information on the pdf? Personal experiences when working with HD preffered, thank you!

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 with 24 gigs of ram
          blktiger527 Level 1

Anyone able to help with this question?

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 with 24 gigs of ram
            Jim_Simon Level 8

I have only 3 GB myself.

I have seen up to 4 instances of AE when rendering out, though.

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro CS4 with 24 gigs of ram
              Harm Millaard Level 7

I have only 12 GB. There is however a sound reason for that amount and not 24 or even more. A PC is only as good as it's weakest link. Usually that are the mechanical parts, meaning disks. And there is always a budget limitation. And there is availability of parts.

With all these restrictions, only 6 DIMM slots, and the limited choice of DDR3-10600 sticks in anything other than 2 GB sticks (just looking today I was not able to find any 4 GB sticks, apart from Kingston Value RAM in ECC edition with CL9 at triple the price of 2 GB), I considered it better to invest in disks than a long search for very expensive memory sticks.

These considerations make that the most logical amount of memory today is 12 GB and not 24 or more, at least on mobo's with only 6 DIMM slots.

Would Adobe use more than 12 GB, even up to xx GB, well I don't know, but the diminishing returns of the extra memory at very high prices make it more logical and economical to invest in a good disk setup.