13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2009 8:25 AM by the_wine_snob

HD

Anthony Nickolas

Hi, I recently upgraded to an HDV camera.  Can P.E. handle the video produced by HD cameras?  The camera uses the same media type as my old camcorder, mini dv.

Thanks, Anthony

• 1. Re: HD
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Anthony,

The camera uses the same media type as my old camcorder, mini dv.

Do you mean that your HD camera shoots to miniDV tape, or to mini DVD? There is a great difference.

What make and model of camera is the new one?

PrE 7 can handle HD material and burn BD. However, depending on the format/CODEC, you computer might not be up to the task. For instance, if it's AVCHD, then you really need a quad-core processor, a good system of HDD's, and at least 4GB of RAM. A dual quad-core MoBo w/ 12-16GB of RAM (plus those big, fast HDD's), would be even better. What are the full specs of you computer?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: HD
            Anthony Nickolas Level 1

The camera is a Canon XH A1, it uses mini dv tape as its media.  As far as computer specs, I've got Athlon 64 x 2 Dual Core, Processor 4200 and only 1 Gig of RAM.

• 3. Re: HD
              the_wine_snob Level 9

So long as you are not doing AVCHD, and you are not, you should be good to go, provided that your computer has a good I/O sub-system, i.e. HDD's. Tell us about your HDD's in full detail.

While bumping the RAM up might make the editing a tad more enjoyable, the CPU and the I/O will likely be more important with the miniDV tape material.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS there are also several recent threads on the Canon XH A1. You might pick up some pointers from those.

• 4. Re: HD
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with Hunt. Power-wise, you should be just fine editing HDV, as long as you use the HDV project preset. (You'll know if you're using the right preset because, when you put the HDV clips on your timeline, there will be no red or green lines on the timeline above them until you add effects or transitions.)

I would recommend you up your RAM to 2 gigabytes, however. Otherwise you'll end up waiting for the screen to refresh pretty often.

And it goes without saying, make sure you've got a couple of hundreds of gigs of hard drive space so that the program has some scratch disk space.

• 5. Re: HD
                  Anthony Nickolas Level 1

I'm not sure about HDDs, to be honest, I'm not familiar with that term.  Can you help enlighten me on this spec., and how would I go about finding out my computer's HDDs?

• 6. Re: HD
                    John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

HDD = Hard Disk Drive

Go to control panel and check in the system setting, there will be a list of all hardware

You need AT LEAST 2 hard drives... one for boot and all software and one for video data

Some people use 2 or 3 data drives... for video files and scratch (temporary file) disks

DO NOT USE PARTITIONS !!!!! (Yes, I meant to SHOUT about that)

• 7. Re: HD
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Anthony,

As John says, HDD's = hard disk drives. Probably the minimum is 2 physical HDD's, but 3 is better.. Some recommend 3x as the minimum.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: HD
                        perjarle

Hello

I have a Canon Leigra HF200 (AVCHD)

Since my older version of Studio don't support HD editing, I am considering to start using Premiere Elements 7.

Is my computer capable of handling this?

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core Quad Q6600 (2.4Ghz)

RAM: 2GB

For now I have one HDD, but I guess I need to install one or two extra.

But before I use any more money on HDD and software, I need to be sure that it's worth the investment.

I downloaded the trial version of Premiere Elements. When trying to playback HD content, it was a sad performance.

Can anyone give me any advice please?

Best regards

Per-Jarle

• 9. Re: HD
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

There are several "flavors" of HD material. AVCHD (one of the most popular) is particularly difficult to work with, because of the intense strain on the computer. Some other flavors are not so tough, but that will depend.

With a Quad core, you should be good to go, though an i7, or even dual i7's would be better. Normally, playback is mostly dependent on the I/O sub-system, i.e. the Hard Disk Drives (HDD's), their controller, their speed, etc. AVCHD is more CPU intensive, but I/O is still very important.

With your computer, I would do three thing:

1.) Add two more HDD's and allocate them for NLE (Non Linear Editing) work, with ONLY OS, programs, and Page File on C:\; Media on D:\; Project and Scratch Disks on E:\.

2.) Fill out the RAM to 4GB, if your MoBo allows that. Depending on your OS, you will probably not be able to use the full 4GB, but can come close enough to make it worth the $ and the effort.

3.) Optimize you computer using the recs. in several FAQ's in the FAQ's sub-forum (to the right on the main page). Also, see the Tips & Tricks sub-forum for some more tips. I posted links to some great articles on system optimization, HDD recs. and installation of a 64-bit OS. There were by Harm Milaard, and are excellent articles.

Good luck, and let us know how it works for you. If you have any issues, please post back. See this ARTICLE for some tips on posting any problems, etc.

Hunt

• 10. Re: HD
                            Anthony Nickolas Level 1

Ahh yes, Hard drives.  I'm using my 250Gig for C, I use my 500Gig E drive for all the project files, video files, rendered files, etc.  I do have a D drive, 40Gigs, but I don't use it for much of anything.  Is this a good setup for my editing needs?

I loaded up my HDV footage for the first time to P.E.  I did notice some differences from the old camcorder.  First, the video uploaded from the new Canon is mpeg, whereas it used to be DV AVI with the old one.  I do rememeber reading posts long ago from Steve where he mentioned that P.E. works best with DV AVI files.  When editing, I do notice that it is a bit harder some times to manipulate the mpegs than the DV's.  Should I be converting these files to DV AVI?  I think I can achieve that in WMM, but it does create massive video files.  Will the quality of the video suffer after converting?  Will it still be HD?  Or do I need to upgrade to PPro?  Is PPro more versatile at handling different file types?

Thanks, Anthony

• 11. Re: HD
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Anthony,

The general setup of the HDD's looks OK. I assume that you do not have any partitions, that come into play. Now, with your HDD's the amount of free, unfragmented space can be an issue, with any HDD setup.

As for DV-AVI files, these are full I-frame files. This means that they contain a discrete frame for each frame in the file. This is why they are larger. All MPEG files are compressed, and will be GOP (Group of Pictures), thus for every real I-frame, there will then be ~ 15 "difference" frames, until the next I-frame. This allows for smaller files, but then your NLE (Non Linear Editor) will need to "create" all the I-frames, so you can edit. That is what conversion does, but remember that your material HAS been compressed, and nothing can bring that data back. It can only make editing easier and smoother.

There can also be audio issues, as MPEG Audio is not easily supported by most programs. Some do an OK job, but there can still be issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: HD
                                Anthony Nickolas Level 1

Thanks for the info.  So you are saying my NLE, which in this case P.E. needs to convert these files.  Does it do that automatically or do I have to manually convert it to DV AVI?  Once again, should I be upgrading to Premiere Pro, will it have an easier task at handling Mpegs?  Another thing I noticed was that when I went to capture the HDV footage in Elements, the "Scene Detect" option was greyed out and unavailable.  That was a bit disappointing.

• 13. Re: HD
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Where possible, the NLE will internally convert GOP material to I-frame material. If it cannot, then you will receive an error. PrPro will be no better than PrE, as they are based on much of the same code. Actually, PrE might be the better, as it is designed to more easily handle "consumer" formats. Now, MPEG is gaining ground quickly in both the consumer and pro markets, as more devices use it. Still, to use a "flavor" of MPEG-2, the .VOB, PrE was able to handle these, well before they were part of the PrPro "portfolio," of formats handled.

There are some NLE's that are designed around MPEG files. One of the strengths of these is that they can do "smart" Rendering, by only Rendering the areas, where there have been changes, leaving the rest of the footage untouched. Most NLE's will totally Render all frames to MPEG-2. Now, this is not the same Render, that we do by hitting Enter - it is really most like the Transcoding in Encore.. The Enter = Render is just for Playback smoothness. Note: PrPro CS4 can use those to speed up the Transcoding.

For full scene detect Capture in HD footage, I recommend HDVSplit. For SD Capture Scenealyzer Live. Each has more strengths, than either PrE, or PrPro. The scene detect capabilities of each, plus the preview with HD in HDVSplit makes them favorites. Many users have filed Freature Requests to incorporate more of the features of these two programs, into PrPro.

Good luck,

Hunt