18 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2009 8:25 AM by the_wine_snob

File?

mejanr Level 1

Hi,

I have just burnt a trial copy of my project inPE7 by clicking on share button. Afterwards, I tried to preview it in Windows Media Player, but said it was a  .pvm file and could not play it? What have I done wrong?? It plays O.K. on TV from my DVD player, though I did notice that some of the fast moving objects were a little blurry - guess this is to do with the speed it was burnt at?? SO much to learn!!! Should I burn by clicking on export button instead?

Also I have some still images in my project - is there any way to make them play longer than 5 secs after you have put them in project?

Thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: File?
          Kodebuster Level 3

A few questions to help you on your way:

When you used Share which output did you Select (Disc, PC, or something else) ???

This will determine the output format that was Burned to your Disc.

The fact that it plays on your TV, may indicate that it was burned in DVD Video format, but many DVD Players today will also play Mpegs (that were targeted for a PC).

The fact that Win Media Player gives an errror may just be a case of not having the correct Codec installed, but this will become clearer once you answer the question above.

Regarding photos and increasing the time, you can just place the mouse pointer at the start (or end) of the photo, when the Bracket appears, click and hold the bracket, and drag to the desired length.

Or you can go to Preferences and change the time duration for Photos found under Still Images:

File Menu/Preferences/General/Still Image Duration (This is in number of Frames, with 30 frames to a second)...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: File?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, let's start at the beginning.

You edited a Project in PrE, and then burned to a DVD-Video. This disc plays fine in your set-top player, with one exception that I will get to. Now, you put that same DVD-Video into your computer's DVD drive and try to play in in Windows Media Player (WMP), but it tells you that the file on the disc is a .PVM file. Is that correct?

On a burned DVD-Video, the files should be .IFO, .BUP and .VOB files, all within a VIDEO_TS folder. I do not know what a .PVM file is. Now, most copies of WMP cannot play any DVD. Some older copies could. MS stripped this function from them, not that long ago, but there are plug-ins for WMP that convert it to a DVD-Video software player. Do you have such a plug-in? There are some other players, that handle DVD-Video, like VLC Player, which is freeware, and MediaPlayer Classic Home Cinema version. I use CyberLink's PowerDVD, and others like Nero Vision.

In My Computer, with the DVD disc in your drive, navigate to it. Please tell us what you find. Like I said, it should be a vIDEO_TS folder with .IFO, .BUP and .VOB files inside. If not, then something is wrong.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: File?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Now for you "quality" issue. This can stem from several sources. To narrow this down a bit, please tell us all the details of your media files - your Assets. Next, when you started your Project, you had to choose a Preset. Which one did you choose.

As to the speed of the burn, that will have no quality bearing on the images, but WILL on the quality of the disc, i.e. whether it will play in set-top players. Slower is always better. The quality of the Burn will be affected, though not the quality of the images.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: File?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Last, the Duration of your stills can be set via Edit>Preferences>General, where you can set any Duration that you want. Now, this will affect Imported stills and Titles. It is not retro-active, in that if you Imported 100 stills and the Duration was set to 5 sec., then you change that to 20 sec., those 100 stills will stay at 5 sec. Duration. Only ones Imported afterwards will be affected.

Now, if you had those 100 files Imported at 5 sec., and wanted them to now be 20 sec., you can drag the Tail of each one to be 20 sec. I would go to Window>Info to get the Info Panel open, to see the Duration that I was changing clearly.

Hope that this helps,

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: File?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is a LINK to .PVM files. Do you have HP Photo Album, or some variation?

Now, I wonder if you got the wrong DVD, or if your set-top player can do HP Photo Albums?

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: File?
                    mejanr Level 1

Hello,

For some reason disc played in WMP O.K. this time - do not know where the .pvm file came from before? And they are VIDEO-TS files in Computer.

Also, I had no luck lengthening still images before with bracket - I think it was those little attached  "orphans" popping up again. So I imported images again then lengthened, and all is O.K.

Thanks for help.

• 7. Re: File?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad to hear that things are playing OK, and that you have been able to reset the Duration of the Still images. Cannot imagine why you were unable to click-drag on the Tail of the existing Stills, and not increase their Duration. If I had many to do this way, I would just reset the Duration on Edit>Preferences>General and re-Import. It would save time.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: File?
                        mejanr Level 1

Hello,

I cannot seem to find Assets in either Project settings or preferences?

Also which preset were you referring to??

I hope I chose right ones as I don't think you can change them can you???

Thanks for help.

• 9. Re: File?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Assets are the AV files, the Still Images and the Audio files that you are using.

Project Presets are what you use, when you choose Project New. They should match the AV Assets perfectly.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: File?
                            mejanr Level 1

Hi again,

Is it O.K. to have .jpg still images, .bmp freeze frames and .avi video clips in the one movie?

I was able to FF one image as a .jpg file by changing the settings in export box as Steve outlined, but could not do subsequent ones - it said they could not be saved, invalid path as destination file does not match??

It is all a little confusing for me!

Thanks.

• 11. Re: File?
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              Is it O.K. to have .jpg still images, .bmp freeze frames and .avi video clips in the one movie?

Yes. I try to keep my Asset Types uniform, but sometimes one ends up with several in one Timeline. To give you an idea of this, I inherited a Project. Much of the work had been done already. The previous editor had converted TIFF's to .PSD's in Photoshop, but had then Flattened them and done a Save_As JPEG for about 1500 images. I had to do more of these, but left my Save_As files in .PSD format, for both quality and management reasons. The previous editor had done most animated Titles in .MOV [Animation CODEC], and I left them that way. For my animated Titles, I left them in .PSD format, and animated the individual Layers of the Titles. The same for some 3D animations. These were also .MOV [Animation CODEC], and I left these alone. For the 3D animations that I did, I use DV-AVI Type II files. Now, all Audio was done in AAC format. I had to rework all of these, and did a Save_As PCM/WAV. All SFX Clips that I added were in MP3 format, and I left them that way, though their final mixdown was to AC3 DD 5.1 SS with the SurCode encoder. As you can see, the Timeline had many file "types," though each was sized to NTSC DV 4:3.

Personally, I go for uniformity, but if an Imported Asset is not changed, say a Still Image that is Exported>Frame, I leave it as either TIFF, or BMP. If I did that Export>Frame, I always choose TIFF (personal choice), so all will stay that way, unless I edit the image in Photoshop. If, however, I have an image that will not be edited outside of PrE/PrPro, and it's a JPEG, I leave it and Import it, as is. I am more of a stickler for the Video formats, as in most cases, I will batch convert all other motion footage to DV-AVI Type II, before Import.

Good luck, and hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 12. Re: File?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                I was able to FF one image as a .jpg file by changing the settings in export box as Steve outlined, but could not do subsequent ones - it said they could not be saved, invalid path as destination file does not match?? It is all a little confusing for me!

I assume that you mean FF = Freeze Frame, and you are creating this by doing an Export>Frame, so you can do a Still Image as your Freeze Frame. I am also assuming that for the first, you just selected BMP and accepted the default file name. What was that? Normally, it will be the Sequence Name (in PrPro), and I think the Project Name in PrE. I do not believe that the default file name auto-increments, so I am guessing that if you are attmepting to Export>Frame again and to the same folder, as before, the file name might be in conflict. However, I would have thought that your error message would have been more along the lines of "File [default file name] already exists. Overwrite?" or similar. To have access denined would be odd. Looking at the error that you got, with the "invalid path," it could be that where you told PrE to place this file might be incorrect. Check the Path and make sure that it is the correct Path. If it is, and you still have an issue, choose another folder to place the still into for now, and then investigate the reason that it would not go where you wanted it to. When doing this, I first create a destination folder, say "Still Freeze Frames," and place all into it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: File?
                                  mejanr Level 1

Hello,

I have finally done the freeze frames(FF) O.K. today, as jpeg frames.
                                  However, yesterday, I somehow changed some Adobe Premier preset files in the Custom folder when I was trying to do them. I see that i saved the FFs in the Custom folder by mistake, and changed the file name of some Adobe preset files, when I thought I was renaming the FFs!!
                                  If you can understand my babble, is there anything I can do to fix those Adobe preset files I changed?
                                  There does not seem to be any App Data folder in Users as before?
                                  I am worried I have altered the video quality of my clips as when I play project the picture seems a bit fuzzy now.
                                  I know what they mean when they say "a little knowledge can be dangerous"! True in my case.
                                  Hope you can help??
                                  P.S. I found the App Data in PE7 Project Preferences, Media which has the Custom folder in it.
                                  When I started project, I did not change any of the preset settings, except for choosing DV PAL
                                  • 14. Re: File?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Some things, like Styles, can be called from a file in the Documents & Settings\\\ folder, but I do not know if this applies to Presets. Maybe someone with more direct experience "under the hood" of PrE can help out there. I do not want to go guessing and suggest that file renaming in the Doc & Settings might help you, because I just do not know.

For me, I'd do a Repair Install, to replace the default folders and the various files. In most Adobe programs, a Repair Install goes this way:

1.) Insert installation DVD. Let it load, and you will get the normal installation screen. There, you choose the installer's language, and the installer module goes out to survey your system. Be patient.

2.) Once this survey is complete, you'll then get another dialog screen. Here things can differ, if you have one of the suites, with several programs. With the suites, the dialog screen will have all of these listed, and you'd choose the particular program. With something like PrE, there should be no "suite," so this screen should automatically pop up with two choices: Uninstall and Repair Install. That initial survey should have found most of PrE, so there will be only the two choices.

3.) Choose Repair Install, and the installer module will again survey your system, looking closely at PrE, as it appears now. It will compare that survey with what it knows should be there. It will then go to the installer disc and will correct for missing files, and corrupt files.

I am a big fan of Repair Installs, as I hate having to do uninstalls, cleaning and then reinstalls. Over the decades, I have never had to do the unistall/reinstall, but have only had to do two Repair Installs. One was when PrE 4 killed all of my CS2 Production Suite - everything! It took about 15 mins. to do the Repair Install for all programs in that suite.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: File?
                                      mejanr Level 1

Hello,

I may just do the narration first as it took me so long to get the audio set up properly. And I have just downloaded music.

I guess it will not affect my project as that will all still be on the hard drive?

Thanks again.

• 16. Re: File?
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

This should not be a problem. For some Projects, many editors get the narration first, and then edit to that. For other Projects, they will add the narration to the finished edit. It can be done either way.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: File?
                                          mejanr Level 1

Editing to the narration would be SO much easier - may do that next time!

Thanks.

• 18. Re: File?
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Depending on the Project, it certainly can be. It usually depends on at least two things: how the editor likes to work, and whether the narration is the main element (Video/stills should match it), or whether the visuals are the main aspect (narration should match it).

Good luck,

Hunt