10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2009 4:19 PM by the_wine_snob

EOS 5D MkII files -- what project preset (or settings)?

KaiserBoy Level 1

Pardon me if this has been asked before.  I searched for answers and found none that seem to apply to the new 4.1 version of PPro.

I am a Canon 5D MkII owner who is deciding on whether to upgrade my PPro 2.0 to the CS4 version.  I am playing with the CS4 version at a shop and just can't understand some things.

I read all the older posts about converting to MP4 and such, but it seems that Version 4.1 took a big step forward in that area: my test files right out of the camera gave yellow "don't have to render" lines and ran better or as well as converted versions!  Am I correct in this observation about Version 4.1?  (Question 1)

Now I need to understand the project presets a bit better.  I can choose a number of them (HDV, AVCHD) with 1080p presets and the system seems to work, but I don't exactly understand what the effect of these presets is.  The HDV is a 1440 x 1080 "size", and that kinds of turns me away since my video is square-pixel 1920 x 1080 (full 1080p).  What is this preset doing, or going to do later on, that is not correct for this Canon data? (Question 2)

I created my own "5D" preset, with full 1920 x 1080 30 fps progressive square-pixel defining terms, but when it come to choosing that sub-preset, I have the same choices all over again.  I can choose HDV or AVCHD.   An odd thing happens when I try to render in the AVCHD setup -- it gives a preview error message and won't render.  IF I start the Adobe Media program, IT WILL THEN RENDER.  What is happening here?  (Question 3)

What do I choose or setup to be compatible with my Canon files and stay at 1920 x 1080 square and all until I make an export choice?

Thanks so much to anyone who can get me lined-up with these concepts.  You will deserve a finders-fee if I'm convinced that CS4 is relevant!

Jon