13 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2009 7:18 AM by John T Smith

Gigabyte EX58-UD4P - What is Included?

John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Gigabyte site doesn't say anything (that I can find) about what is included in the retail box

The Newegg site has one picture that shows some cables (plus manuals and a CD) but still no written list of the cables

The Newegg picture LOOKS like there are 2 SATA cables, and MAYBE an IDE and Floppy cable, but I can't be sure

Could someone who has purchased a Gigabyte EX58-UD4P please provide a list of the included cables?

• 1. Re: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P - What is Included?
          Jim_Simon Level 9

Just out of curiosity, why does it matter?  This seems at first glance a rather trivial thing that doesn't really require some preplanning.

• 2. Re: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P - What is Included?

When I do order the motherboard (which will be once Premiere/Encore CS5 is out, so I'll know if I want to use Win7 64bit or 32bit) I'm going to order a few other things at the same time... and just wanted to know in advance if I have to order an IDE cable (have a brand new IDE +/- DVD burner so don't want to have to buy a SATA type) and a floppy cable (Spinrite for drive analysis requires a DOS boot disk)

The picture at Newegg is at a "slanted" perspective, so I can see what looks like two SATA cables in the foreground, and "something" in the background that might be IDE and floppy cables

If yes, I know I don't need to order additional cables... these are small items for not much $$ (about $3 each) but I'd rather not buy something I don't need, if it is included with the motherboard

Added... Googled for reviews, and one of the stated there IS a floppy cable, as well as IDE, so I'm good to go on that front

Now, I just need to do some more research on compatible memory... a few of the reviews at Newegg said Crucial ram didn't work

• 3. Re: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P - What is Included?
              Jim_Simon Level 9

That makes sense.

• 4. Re: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P - What is Included?

Well, after all this reading and asking questions, I finally got around to looking at some pictures of the Gigabyte board... it won't work for me!

The physical layout of the board is such that the PCI-E slots are right next to the PCI slots

I need one PCI slot for my Dv500 card to be able to digitize video from my (old but still working) analog 8mm camcorder

I need the other PCI slot for a sound card... since I've read a LOT of messages on this forum that onboard sound often does not work well with Premiere due to resource sharing conflicts

Because of the placement of the PCI-E -vs- PCI slots, I will effectively only be able to use one PCI slot... due to the "width and a half" or "double width" size of PCI-E graphics cards, with either a large heat sink or an even larger fan encroaching into the space of the next card's slot

That means I'm back to the ASUS P6 motherboard, which has a different physical layout, which will allow me to use two PCI slots

In my review reading I've seen good and bad reviews for BOTH brands, but I have to go with what will work for my other hardware

Since I'm not going to run dual graphics cards (one ATI card will work just fine with my single 24" monitor) I'm looking at the ASUS P6 SE motherboard... it runs just as fast as the more expensive MB's without the "SLI" support that I wouldn't be using anyway

Minor drawback that it doesn't have a floppy port... but I've played around and made a CD "image" of my boot floppy, which works to let me run Spinrite for drive testing

The P6 SE does have an IDE connection, so I get to use my brand new DVD +/- writer and save a bit of $$ by not having to buy a SATA DVD writer

It's a good think I got around to looking at motherboard pictures so I'd know what will work as far as layout of the card slots

If I had the $$ to buy an external device to convert my analog tapes I would still consider the Gigabyte MB... but $$ has just tightened (read over in my memory thread) so every dollar is important

Thanks for all the comments... I'll report back, someday, when I actually build a new computer

• 5. Re: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P - What is Included?
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

John,

I have to congratulate you. You did not fall into the same pitfall I fell in once, as described in the PC Buying Guide. Very thorough work. Many could take an example of your approach, I think.

I know you would like to keep on to your IDE DVD burner, due to budget limitations, but the main drawback is that it requires an IDE capable board and since you are now looking at the Asus P6T range, I urge you to also have a look at the details of the capacitors on the mobo. Some Asus mobo's with IDE connectors have far lesser capacitor setups than more recent boards without the IDE connector. The cost of getting a SATA BR burner is likely to be around $ 30, but if you mobo can withstand the burden of daily use better and more reliably for a longer period, that extra expense is worth it IMO.

I trust you to have a careful look, and my compliments on your very thorough approach. I hope my remarks help somewhat.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P - What is Included?

Thanks for the note on the Asus MB... I will now Google to see what I can find on individual components, not just the overall rating (virtually all of the reviews I found discussed overclocking, which I refuse to do, but I was not looking for any mention of capacitor quality)

It was actually a review that made me look at a Gigabyte picture, after I saw mention of the fact that a "gaming" graphics adapter with a large fan meant that the "right next door" PCI slot could not be used... sure enough, that is what the picture shows

If you don't need to use a PCI slot... or two... the Gigabyte motherboard could be a good choice

Since I do need to use at least one of the PCI slots, and maybe two if the onboard sound causes problems, I'll just choose the Asus... for now at least, since I'm going to keep searching to see if there is an even better, for me, i7 motherboard

• 7. Re: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P - What is Included?
                      Jim_Simon Level 9

Drop the sound card and the DV500.  Mobo sound works just fine.  Been using it for many years.  Capture analog by passing through a MiniDV camera.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P - What is Included?

I don't have (or have $$ to buy) a DV camera... I'm stuck with what I have... including, for now, the computer I have due to the financial problem I mentioned here http://forums.adobe.com/thread/478773?tstart=0

It may very well turn out that the MB sound will work for me... but I do like to be prepared ahead of time

• 9. Re: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P - What is Included?
                          Jim_Simon Level 9

If you drop the sound card you're half or even most of the way towards an ADVC-110 for analog capture.

• 10. Re: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P - What is Included?

If the Dv500 works with the Asus P6 SE (in a Win2000 + Win7 dual boot) I don't need to worry about an external device

If not, and since some of what I'm doing is (slowly) converting my old VHS library to DVD, I would go with the 300 model since the description says it works better with old tapes... costs about $500, so I will see if the Dv500 works before buying an external device

If the onboard sound works, I don't have to buy a sound card... although, that is only about $35 so is not a really big part of my spending

Anyway, thanks to everyone for all the comments and ideas... now I just have to save up to be ready once CS5 is released... hopefully in a 64bit version to match the i7 CPU and the Win7 64bit I already have

• 11. Re: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P - What is Included?
                              Jim_Simon Level 9

If the Dv500 works with the Asus P6 SE (in a Win2000 + Win7 dual boot) I don't need to worry about an external device

With the external device, you won't need to set up a dual boot system and waste hard drive space and then have to switch after capture or skip on the motherboard you originally wanted.  It's a win only situation, my man.

• 12. Re: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P - What is Included?

My current 80G drive has 10% allocated to Win2k (plenty for the OS and Premiere +Dv500 drivers) and the remaining 70G I have for WinXp and Premiere/Encore, plus all of my daily software, still has 43Gig free

I plan to use a 320G Sata drive for boot (1-T Sata for all data, and maybe another 320G for scratch space) so I'm not at all worried about wasting drive space

As far as motherboard... I will never use more than one ATI card (still looking at features... plus waiting to see if CS5 makes use of the GPU... before I decide which model to buy) so the Asus P6 SE will do everything I need, without paying for features that I'll never use

• 13. Re: Gigabyte EX58-UD4P - What is Included?

>have a look at the details of the capacitors on the mobo (Asus P6 SE)

I have not found one single review of the P6 line that was not written from a gaming, overclocking viewpoint

Which is, I guess, actually good for me... since if the motherboard works well when overclocked, it should work well and last a long time for me, with no overclocking

Anyway... IDE and capacitors... for what it's worth, the P6 series uses "high quality Japanese capacitors" so I'm not going to worry about using my existing DVD writer instead of buying a new model with Sata