4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2009 9:27 AM by Ansury

New to Adobe Flex

asnmurthy

Hi,

I am fairly new to Adobe Flex. Can some one tell me whether Flex be used only for Multimedia content or can we use for general web based business applications like intranet sites or internal practice exams etc ? If my application contain general webpages with regular fields and typical database interactions, how Flex can be used in those scenarios?

Thanks,

Murthy

• 1. Re: New to Adobe Flex
          John Joslin Level 6

The right place to ask is here:  http://forums.adobe.com/community/flex

• 2. Re: New to Adobe Flex
            Jochem van Dieten Level 4

You have posted your message to the "Forum comments" forum. The Forum comments forum is intended for making comments on the functioning of any of the forums. The Forum comments forum is not intended for issues related to the use of Adobe products or other Adobe services. Therefore, I am moving your thread to a more appropriate forum. You can still find your thread through the link at the bottom of the email notification or through the "Your stuff" -> "Discussions" link near the top of the page.

PS Due to a known issue with the caching of these forums it may take a short while for this message to disappear from the "Forum comments" forum.

• 3. Re: New to Adobe Flex
              Gregory Lafrance Level 6

I'm not sure what the other posters are saying, but this is where you should ask this type of question

Flex does not have to be used only for Multimedia content, it is often used for general web based business applications like intranet sites and internal practice exams etc

I don't know what you mean by regular fields, but Flex has Labels, Buttons, Forms, TextInput, etc.

For database interactions, you need to use the Flex HTTPService, WebService, RemoteObject, etc. to connect to server side technologies such as PHP, ColdFusion, Java etc.

If this post answers your question or helps, please mark it as such.

• 4. Re: New to Adobe Flex
                Ansury Level 3

This was originally posted in the "forum comments" forum Greg.  (Our new forums seem to be rather crap like and sometimes people end up posting there by mistake for various reasons I think mainly due to bugs and/or usability issues.)

And now that the post was moved instead of left where it was, the OP may never see this thread or the answer, either....

As far as the OP's question Greg covered it, but I would also stress the web application aspect, as opposed to "website".  I engineer Intranet-located applications but generally I probably wouldn't recommend building an entire Intranet webpage purely in Flex.  I guess you could if you wanted, but compared to HTML used for the basics--closer to what HTML was meant for--your return on investment using Flex (when plain HTML for displaying text would do) is probably going to be limited.

Of course you can always do a hybrid--you can embed a Flex app into a webpage to use it as a portion of a website/intranet site just where you need it, and continue to use HTML or whatever else if you prefer for the regular website.  (In fact even what I call a "full (browser) screen" Flex app is really just a max-sized flash player view embedded in HTML.)

1 person found this helpful