3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2009 4:11 PM by 42zeroz

DNG preferences panel missing options

42zeroz

In the DNG preferences panel, version 5.4.0.57 only 3 options appear. Compatibility, Preview & Original Raw File, under Compatibility in custom settings I can check Linear & uncompressed but nowhere can I find "Image Conversion Method" or "Compression" check boxes. I have installed DNG converter on both my PC (XP-sp3) and my laptop (Vista 64bit) with identical results.

Where am I going wrong?

Some converted file receive a 1:3 compression others a 1:4 compression, what gives?

Regards Larry

• 1. Re: DNG preferences panel missing options
          JimHess-5IFZWq Level 3

As far as I know, you are not doing anything wrong.  The options have changed on the DNG converter.  The only real option is to specify which version of Camera Raw will be used for compatibility.  This might have been change when the DNG specification changed.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: DNG preferences panel missing options
            Thomas Knoll Level 2

You can still control exactly the same things you could before, just the UI has changed.

Linear is the conversion method option, with a different UI.  No functionality has been lost.

Uncompressed is the compression option, with a different UI.  No functionality has been lost.

The reason the compression and linear options have been moved to a custom dialog is very few users truly understood them, and many users would change their default values in ways that wasted disk space because they did not understand what they were doing or why they were doing it.  Only in VERY rare use cases does is make any sense to use to custom compatibility option.  The main compatibly version option does exactly what nearly all users need to do, when they want to create DNG files that are readable in older versions of Camera Raw.

Can you please explain exactly why you think you need to control the custom options?

• 3. Re: DNG preferences panel missing options
              42zeroz Level 1

All my concerns dissolved thanks to your help guys. I have no need to control custom options now that I understand what is happening automatically.

Thank you Kindly

Larry Szoke