12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 26, 2008 7:28 AM by Newsgroup_User

    Serious WordPress weirdness

    joeq Level 1
      so my site went down today (it's hosted by dreamhost) and, when it came back live, the homepage was all wonky - ie, all the posts (with the exception of one that i did after the site came back up) are now all italicized... the titles, the copy beneath the image, the links beneath the copy, etc. i absolutely didn't change anything in the stylesheet myself and, when i look at the css using that web developer thing in firefox, it doesn't show any italicized attributes. i didn't install any new plugins, so i dont think its an issue of there being a conflict. i tried disabling all the plugins - just to doublecheck - and it didnt change anything.

      oddly, this issue is only present on the homepage - when i click on the title of an individual post to go to that article, everything looks fine.

      the host assures me that it cant be on their end, but i can't see anything on mine either.

      here's the link:

      http://www.thingsyoungerthanmccain.com/

      here's the link to the stylesheet:

      http://www.thingsyoungerthanmccain.com/wp-content/themes/minima-black-for-wordpress-115/st yle.css

      thanks!!


      -
        • 1. Re: Serious WordPress weirdness
          JoeDaSilva Level 4
          It's placing <em> tags around everything, resulting in the italics. You could probably add something like:

          em {text-decoration:normal} to correct it.

          No idea how it got there though ;-)

          • 2. Re: Serious WordPress weirdness
            joeq Level 1
            fantastic - and really bizarre!!

            where do you see those tags??? and will adding the code you suggest make it difficult to use italics in a post if i so choose?

            thanks!!

            quote:

            Originally posted by: JoeyD1978
            It's placing <em> tags around everything, resulting in the italics. You could probably add something like:

            em {text-decoration:normal} to correct it.

            No idea how it got there though ;-)




            • 3. Re: Serious WordPress weirdness
              JoeDaSilva Level 4
              I saw them using Firebug, an extension for Firefox. And yes, that'll keep you from using italics assuming that Wordpress uses the <em> tag for that, which I think it does.

              The better solution would be to figure out why WP is adding the tags, or try seeing if you can use the WP editor to remove them (by switching to the code tab).
              • 4. Re: Serious WordPress weirdness
                joeq Level 1
                i dont have firebug and it says its not compatible with my version of ff - could you tell me where you saw those tags?

                thanks!
                • 5. Re: Serious WordPress weirdness
                  Level 7
                  i don't know how to solve your problem, but i just wanted to say that i
                  was in Denver yesterday, and the radio station i was listening to was
                  talking about things younger than McCain. i kinda felt like i knew a
                  celebrity or something.

                  joeq wrote:
                  > so my site went down today (it's hosted by dreamhost) and, when it came back
                  > live, the homepage was all wonky - ie, all the posts (with the exception of one
                  > that i did after the site came back up) are now all italicized... the titles,
                  > the copy beneath the image, the links beneath the copy, etc. i absolutely
                  > didn't change anything in the stylesheet myself and, when i look at the css
                  > using that web developer thing in firefox, it doesn't show any italicized
                  > attributes. i didn't install any new plugins, so i dont think its an issue of
                  > there being a conflict. i tried disabling all the plugins - just to doublecheck
                  > - and it didnt change anything.
                  >
                  > oddly, this issue is only present on the homepage - when i click on the title
                  > of an individual post to go to that article, everything looks fine.
                  >
                  > the host assures me that it cant be on their end, but i can't see anything on
                  > mine either.
                  >
                  > here's the link:
                  >
                  > http://www.thingsyoungerthanmccain.com/
                  >
                  > here's the link to the stylesheet:
                  >
                  >
                  > http://www.thingsyoungerthanmccain.com/wp-content/themes/minima-black-for-wordpr
                  > ess-115/style.css
                  >
                  > thanks!!
                  >
                  >
                  > -
                  >
                  • 6. Re: Serious WordPress weirdness
                    joeq Level 1
                    nvm - there were wayward em tags in one post (the one that i did post site meltdown) and it was applying that formatting to the rest of the page. i would never have thought that what happens in one post would affect others....weird!

                    thanks for your help!

                    quote:

                    Originally posted by: JoeyD1978
                    I saw them using Firebug, an extension for Firefox. And yes, that'll keep you from using italics assuming that Wordpress uses the <em> tag for that, which I think it does.

                    The better solution would be to figure out why WP is adding the tags, or try seeing if you can use the WP editor to remove them (by switching to the code tab).


                    • 7. Re: Serious WordPress weirdness
                      JoeDaSilva Level 4
                      Anything I can do to help make fun of John McCain is my pleasure, I assure you ;-)

                      • 8. Re: Serious WordPress weirdness
                        joeq Level 1
                        it's the noblest of causes indeed... and it's working! a full 48% of americans now think age is an deciding factor in choosing a president - up from 40% in june.

                        hmmm - i wonder what should i wear to the inauguration?

                        quote:

                        Originally posted by: JoeyD1978
                        Anything I can do to help make fun of John McCain is my pleasure, I assure you ;-)




                        • 9. Re: Serious WordPress weirdness
                          joeq Level 1
                          thanks - was it koa-am? i've actually done a couple of on-air interviews with them...

                          quote:

                          Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                          i don't know how to solve your problem, but i just wanted to say that i
                          was in Denver yesterday, and the radio station i was listening to was
                          talking about things younger than McCain. i kinda felt like i knew a
                          celebrity or something.

                          joeq wrote:
                          > so my site went down today (it's hosted by dreamhost) and, when it came back
                          > live, the homepage was all wonky - ie, all the posts (with the exception of one
                          > that i did after the site came back up) are now all italicized... the titles,
                          > the copy beneath the image, the links beneath the copy, etc. i absolutely
                          > didn't change anything in the stylesheet myself and, when i look at the css
                          > using that web developer thing in firefox, it doesn't show any italicized
                          > attributes. i didn't install any new plugins, so i dont think its an issue of
                          > there being a conflict. i tried disabling all the plugins - just to doublecheck
                          > - and it didnt change anything.
                          >
                          > oddly, this issue is only present on the homepage - when i click on the title
                          > of an individual post to go to that article, everything looks fine.
                          >
                          > the host assures me that it cant be on their end, but i can't see anything on
                          > mine either.
                          >
                          > here's the link:
                          >
                          > http://www.thingsyoungerthanmccain.com/
                          >
                          > here's the link to the stylesheet:
                          >
                          >
                          > http://www.thingsyoungerthanmccain.com/wp-content/themes/minima-black-for-wordpr
                          > ess-115/style.css
                          >
                          > thanks!!
                          >
                          >
                          > -
                          >



                          • 10. Re: Serious WordPress weirdness
                            Level 7
                            nope, it was KBPI (rocks the rockies). i couldn't tell if they were
                            actually talking about your site, or if they were ripping you off,
                            because other people in the car were talking and i couldn't hear the
                            first part. i just heard, "and now for more things younger than John
                            McCain."

                            but i was like, "hey! i kinda sorta but not really know the guy who
                            writes that blog!"

                            joeq wrote:
                            > thanks - was it koa-am? i've actually done a couple of on-air interviews with
                            > them...
                            >
                            >
                            quote:

                            Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                            > i don't know how to solve your problem, but i just wanted to say that i
                            > was in Denver yesterday, and the radio station i was listening to was
                            > talking about things younger than McCain. i kinda felt like i knew a
                            > celebrity or something.
                            >
                            > joeq wrote:
                            > > so my site went down today (it's hosted by dreamhost) and, when it came back
                            > > live, the homepage was all wonky - ie, all the posts (with the exception of
                            > one
                            > > that i did after the site came back up) are now all italicized... the
                            > titles,
                            > > the copy beneath the image, the links beneath the copy, etc. i absolutely
                            > > didn't change anything in the stylesheet myself and, when i look at the css
                            > > using that web developer thing in firefox, it doesn't show any italicized
                            > > attributes. i didn't install any new plugins, so i dont think its an issue
                            > of
                            > > there being a conflict. i tried disabling all the plugins - just to
                            > doublecheck
                            > > - and it didnt change anything.
                            > >
                            > > oddly, this issue is only present on the homepage - when i click on the
                            > title
                            > > of an individual post to go to that article, everything looks fine.
                            > >
                            > > the host assures me that it cant be on their end, but i can't see anything
                            > on
                            > > mine either.
                            > >
                            > > here's the link:
                            > >
                            > > http://www.thingsyoungerthanmccain.com/
                            > >
                            > > here's the link to the stylesheet:
                            > >
                            > >
                            > >
                            > http://www.thingsyoungerthanmccain.com/wp-content/themes/minima-black-for-wordpr
                            > > ess-115/style.css
                            > >
                            > > thanks!!
                            > >
                            > >
                            > > -
                            > >
                            >

                            >
                            >
                            >
                            • 11. Re: Serious WordPress weirdness
                              joeq Level 1
                              cool - thanks for the heads-up

                              quote:

                              Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                              nope, it was KBPI (rocks the rockies). i couldn't tell if they were
                              actually talking about your site, or if they were ripping you off,
                              because other people in the car were talking and i couldn't hear the
                              first part. i just heard, "and now for more things younger than John
                              McCain."

                              but i was like, "hey! i kinda sorta but not really know the guy who
                              writes that blog!"

                              joeq wrote:
                              > thanks - was it koa-am? i've actually done a couple of on-air interviews with
                              > them...
                              >
                              >
                              quote:

                              Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
                              > i don't know how to solve your problem, but i just wanted to say that i
                              > was in Denver yesterday, and the radio station i was listening to was
                              > talking about things younger than McCain. i kinda felt like i knew a
                              > celebrity or something.
                              >
                              > joeq wrote:
                              > > so my site went down today (it's hosted by dreamhost) and, when it came back
                              > > live, the homepage was all wonky - ie, all the posts (with the exception of
                              > one
                              > > that i did after the site came back up) are now all italicized... the
                              > titles,
                              > > the copy beneath the image, the links beneath the copy, etc. i absolutely
                              > > didn't change anything in the stylesheet myself and, when i look at the css
                              > > using that web developer thing in firefox, it doesn't show any italicized
                              > > attributes. i didn't install any new plugins, so i dont think its an issue
                              > of
                              > > there being a conflict. i tried disabling all the plugins - just to
                              > doublecheck
                              > > - and it didnt change anything.
                              > >
                              > > oddly, this issue is only present on the homepage - when i click on the
                              > title
                              > > of an individual post to go to that article, everything looks fine.
                              > >
                              > > the host assures me that it cant be on their end, but i can't see anything
                              > on
                              > > mine either.
                              > >
                              > > here's the link:
                              > >
                              > > http://www.thingsyoungerthanmccain.com/
                              > >
                              > > here's the link to the stylesheet:
                              > >
                              > >
                              > >
                              > http://www.thingsyoungerthanmccain.com/wp-content/themes/minima-black-for-wordpr
                              > > ess-115/style.css
                              > >
                              > > thanks!!
                              > >
                              > >
                              > > -
                              > >
                              >

                              >
                              >
                              >



                              • 12. Re: Serious WordPress weirdness
                                Level 7
                                Everything looks just fine to me! No italic or anything else out of
                                place. (perhaps you fixed the issue)

                                --
                                Kim
                                ---------------------------
                                http://www.geekministry.com