4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2009 2:30 PM by John Joslin

Profile Mismatch with RAW

Don4444

I recently began shooting in RAW, using a Canon 40D.  I do not use the Canon-provided DPP, instead I use Photoshop CS4 Bridge (3.0.0.464), Camera Raw (5.4), and Photoshop CS4 (11.0.1).  I believe that I am suffering from a profile mismatch.  After completing my work in Camera Raw I click the “Open Image” button, which opens the image in Photoshop.  There, the window’s title bar reads “Photo Name.dng@25% (RGB/8*)”.  It is my understanding that the asterisk after the 8 indicates that a profile mismatch exists.  When using this same software and equipment, but shooting JPEGs instead of RAW, I did not get this asterisk.

When looking at a RAW image, the metadata in Bridge provides this info: 

Document Type:              DNG image

Bit Depth:                            16

Color Mode:                       RGB

Color Profile:                      Untagged

When looking at a JPEG image, the metadata in Bridge provides this info: 

Document Type:              JPEG file

Bit Depth:                            8

Color Mode:                       RGB

Color Profile:                      sRGB IEC61966-2.1

Photoshop (edit>color settings) provides this info:

Settings:                              North America General Purpose 2

Working Space:                 RGB sRGB IEC61966.21

Color Management Policies:       RGB Preserve Embedded Profiles

Profile Mismatches:  No boxes are checked

My primary output is to a inkjet printer. I have searched various forums and read some Adobe white papers, in search of answers, but still need help.

Here are my questions:

1.       How do I correct this profile mismatch? 

2.       Should I be using a bit depth of 16 or 8? 

3.       If I should be changing the bit depth, how do I do that?

Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Profile Mismatch with RAW
          JimHess-5IFZWq Level 3

I might be wrong, but I think the asterisk simply means that what you are seeing in the image needs to be saved.

• 2. Re: Profile Mismatch with RAW
            Jeff Schewe Level 5

Don4444 wrote:

After completing my work in Camera Raw I click the “Open Image” button, which opens the image in Photoshop.

In Camera Raw, what working space do you have it set for processing? If Camera Raw and Photoshop are both set to sRGB, you don't have a profile mismatch. If Camera Raw is set for any other space and Photoshop is set for sRGB then yes you have a mismatch. So, what is Camera Raw set to open as?

• 3. Re: Profile Mismatch with RAW
              Don4444 Level 1

Yep, that's the answer.  I didn't realize that I had a choice regarding color profile in Camera RAW.  I looked around and discovered that the thing under the photo that looks like a web link brings me to a place where I can choose the color profile.  And, you are correct.  There was a discrepancy between the profile that was in Camera RAW and the profile that was in PS.  A couple of clicks of the mouse and the problem has been solved.  Thanks for your help!!!

• 4. Re: Profile Mismatch with RAW
                John Joslin Level 6

Don4444 wrote:

... the thing under the photo that looks like a web link brings me to a place where I can choose the color profile.

I still don't undersand why that "thing" can't be a button.

It fools loads of people.