8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2009 8:23 PM by the_wine_snob

No second page in rolling title - need help with long title

longlostname Level 1

I am creating my first rolling title in Premiere Pro v1.0.

I have read/watched the tutorials on creating a rolling title and have successfully created my own.

My problem is that I have several pages of prepared text that I want to have roll over the screen and I only can get the first page.

I have the text in Notepad, I copy it to the Clipboard using Control-A, Control-C.

I come into the Title Designer, select the Type Tool, and press Control-V.  The first page of the text is inserted into the Area Type box.

I then save the work and preview the results, but I am only getting the roll of the text for the first page.

Can someone please point out to me what I am doing wrong or direct me to some documentation/tutorial that shows how to insert a long amount of text into the Title Designer and have it roll?

Thanks

• 1. Re: No second page in rolling title - need help with long title
          the_wine_snob Level 9

There are two easy ways to do this:

1.) Create your Title in PS, and make the Image>New (Ctrl+n) to be the horizontal width of your Frame Size, set PAR to match, and for the vertical size, choose anything up to 4000 pixels. Note: I use the NTSC 4:3 DV Preset w/ Guides, but your Project will dictate. I then go to Canvas and change the vertical to ~4000 pixls. I've created Titles with up to 200 lines of text this way. Import into PrPro as Footage and then Keyframe (Effect>Motion>Position) the Roll.

2.) Depending on how your Titles are layed out, you can create multiples, and have them follow, one after the other. I would definitely use Keyframing, as above, rather than a Roll Preset, or you'll go crazy. Now, the trick is get one Title to follow the previous. You'll likely not match the Leading, but if you did one for Actors (allow a little space), Camera Crew (allow a little space), etc., and put them each on a higher level Video Track, you can tailor just how closely they follow each other. Again, Keyframing, as in example 1 will be much easier. This allows that "one page" that you're getting, but then you have multiple "pages," i.e. separate Titles.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - Welcome to the forum

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob Added PS

• 2. Re: No second page in rolling title - need help with long title
            longlostname Level 1

Thank you very much to the_wine_snob for the input on the rolling title.  I currently do not have Photoshop available to me and I was really hoping for a simpler method to do this.  I have a long text file that I would like to bring into Premiere as a Title and have it roll before my video.  Is there another way to do this?

Thanks

• 3. Re: No second page in rolling title - need help with long title
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Try changing the duration. It has been my experience that start and end point for rolling titles are very inaccurate.

• 4. Re: No second page in rolling title - need help with long title
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                I currently do not have Photoshop available to me and I was really hoping for a simpler method to do this.

That is why I mentioned method #2. It relies totally on Titler. Other than doing X number of Titles, and then adjusting their timings and spacings with Motion>Position Keyframes, it takes all of about 5 mins. to do. You can first break your one very long Title into logical segments, and then still use Ctrl+c/Ctrl+v to make each Title. Note that you can get more text into a Title, than what you see in Titler. It does not have a "scrolling" feature, but using Ctrl+c/Ctrl+v, you really do not need to see everything, so long as you edited it in Word/whatever. I'm not sure of what the limit to what can actually fit onto one Title, before it truncates, but seem to recall about 32 lines working with 48 pt. san-serif type for me. Could be off a line, or two.

If you need more detail on the multiple-Title method, let me know. It is far simpler to do, than to type about. Also, if you are not yet comfortable with Motion>Position Keyfreame work, now is the perfect time to learn it, as you WILL embrace it. I do not think I have used either the Roll, or Crawl Preset in four years - so very little control. That's why I said you'd go crazy trying to use those for this task. If I had to do it with the Presets, I'd charge the client 3x, just for the aggravation of having to do so.

Good luck,

Hunt

If you have any questions on where to break your long credits, don't hesitate to send me the Word, txt, whatever file, and I'll look at it and make recs. for you. E-mail is listed in my profile.

• 5. Re: No second page in rolling title - need help with long title
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I'm not aware of any limitations regarding the length of rolling titles in Premiere.  Baring the unknown existence of such, the most likely cause here is operator error.

You keep saying "the first page", but Notepad doesn't have pages.  It's unformatted text.  It can be 3 lines long or 3000 lines long, it's all one "page".  So that raises a red flag of sorts about what you're doing.

If all the text is in the same Notepad file, and it is all selected and copied, then it should all come over into the titler.  And indeed, this has always been my experience, even with longer texts.

• 6. Re: No second page in rolling title - need help with long title
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Jim,

I stand corrected. I just did a test with 99 lines of 35pt text in PrPor's Titler, and there was zero truncation. This was done via Ctrl+c/Ctrl+v from a "long text Title test" (say that three times quickly) that I had done previously. Back then, I was getting text truncation in Titler, but that must have been OE on my part, as this one played perfectly. [I can only hope that my previous test might have been done in PrE, or I am more clumsey, than I thought. Also, in my memory, there were no vertical scroll bars, and I had them this time - HAD to be PrE!!! That's my story, and I'm sticking to it...] I stopped at 99 lines, but now feel that one could go on and on.

To the OP,

I was mistaken about the vertical limitation of PrPro's (what we'er talking about here) Titler. How many lines of text do you have? While you could use my suggestions, there appears to me no need to do so. If you gave me points, though my methods would work - Jim needs to get them.

Back to Jim,

If I win that lobster lunch at the Adobe cafeteria, I need to take you, and Harm is on his own! Ya' caught me on this one.

Hunt

• 8. Re: No second page in rolling title - need help with long title
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Amigo, you deserve it, plus I will be bringing the wine for that lobster lunch. Hey, we will not have to go back to work. I know a great restarunt in Los Gatos, and can get us in to it for the "after lunch" Adobe bash!

Hunt