8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2009 2:15 PM by Sheldon Zacharias

[JS] CS4 How to position a graphic within a Frame

Sheldon Zacharias Level 1

I have a JS script that I am converting from CS3 to CS4 and I am finding that the behaviour for positioning a graphic within a frame has changed.  I have code that sets the geometric bounds of a graphic to a negitave value within the frame, within CS3 this works great.  However using the same code on CS4 to set the geometric bounds does not produce the same result.  The graphic is always placed at 0,0 and it ignores the negitive top and left values supplied.

Does anyone know what has changed with the geometric bounds of a graphic within a recrangle frame?  How would I set the position of the graphic within the frame since setting the geometric bounds does not seem to work any longer.

Thanks,

Sheldon

• 1. Re: [JS] CS4 How to position a graphic within a Frame

Can anyone shed some light on this problem, it appears like the behavior for setting the geometric bounds of a graphic within a frame has changed with CS4.  Can anyone confirm this and do you know how I would set the position of the graphic within the frame?

Any insight would be appreciated.

• 2. Re: [JS] CS4 How to position a graphic within a Frame

I have yet to determine why the behavior is different from CS3 to CS4 and how to correct the positioning within CS4.  To help explain the problem further I have included a sample script which demonstrates the problem.  I have run the script on both CS3 and CS4 and included screen shots of the results when the resulting INDD file is opened.  Could someone help explain why the position of the image is wrong in CS4 and what I can do to correct the problem?

Here is the sample script ...

for(i=app.documents.count()-1;i>=0;i--){app.documents.item(i).close();}
            app.textPreferences.useOpticalSize = false;
            app.textPreferences.typographersQuotes = false;
            app.textImportPreferences.useTypographersQuotes = false;
            app.taggedTextImportPreferences.useTypographersQuotes = false;
            app.pasteboardPreferences.minimumSpaceAboveAndBelow = "300p";
            app.textFramePreferences.firstBaselineOffset = FirstBaseline.ascentOffset;
            app.colorSettings.cmsSettingsPath = File("C:\\etc\\Friesens_Yearbook_Custom_Color_Settings.csf");
            app.marginPreferences.top = '24pt';
            app.marginPreferences.bottom = '48pt';
            app.marginPreferences.left = '36pt';
            app.marginPreferences.right = '36pt';

var doc = app.documents.add();
            doc.viewPreferences.horizontalMeasurementUnits = MeasurementUnits.points;
            doc.viewPreferences.verticalMeasurementUnits = MeasurementUnits.points;
            doc.documentPreferences.pageHeight = 792;
            doc.documentPreferences.pageWidth = 612;
            doc.documentPreferences.pageOrientation = PageOrientation.portrait;
            doc.documentPreferences.pagesPerDocument = 2;
            doc.documentPreferences.facingPages = true;
            doc.sections.firstItem().continueNumbering = false;
            doc.sections.firstItem().pageNumberStart = 2;

var pg = doc.pages.item(0);

var frm = pg.rectangles.add();
            frm.geometricBounds = ['200.5pt','200.2pt','447.8551pt','415.5206pt'];
            try{frm.place (File('c:\\test.jpg'), false);}catch(err){};
            if(frm.graphics.count() > 0) {frm.graphics.firstItem().geometricBounds = [frm.geometricBounds[0]-147, frm.geometricBounds[1]-49, 407.04+frm.geometricBounds[0]-147, 271.68+frm.geometricBounds[1]-49];};

var objStyle = doc.objectStyles.add();
            objStyle.enableStroke= false;
            objStyle.transparencySettings.blendingSettings.opacity = 100;
            frm.applyObjectStyle(objStyle, true, true);

frm.rotationAngle = 59;

doc.label = '824203.indd';
            doc.packageForPrint('c:\\test\\824203\\', true, true, true, true, true, false, '', false, false);
            for(i=app.documents.count()-1;i>=0;i--){app.documents.item(i).close();}

The line that I highlighted is the one that adjusts the images position within its frame.  It uses a formula to determine the exact position relative to the containing frames position.  This is why you will see the calculations to determine the geometric bounds.

Here is the result of the script using InDesign Server CS3, notice the position of the image based on the 'Direct Selection Tool' highlight area (this is the desired result):

InDesign-CS3-Result.jpg

And, here is the result after running the script against InDesign Server CS4:InDesign-CS4-Result.jpg

As you can see the Image is placed at the lot left corrner of the frame which is wrong.  Any insight into the diffrences in the behavior would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 3. Re: [JS] CS4 How to position a graphic within a Frame
              Dave Saunders Level 4

I don't know why the behavior is different. Have you considered using the move method rather than messing with the bounds?

Dave

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: [JS] CS4 How to position a graphic within a Frame
                Harbs. Level 6

Besides Dave's excellent advice to use move(), I would suggest using visibleBounds instead of geometricBounds. geometricBounds can sometimes by unpredictable on rotated objects.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: [JS] CS4 How to position a graphic within a Frame

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate the help.

I tried using using the visibleBounds and it had no visible effect, it had the same result as the geometricBounds, on CS3 it worked correctly and on CS4 it still did not adjust the graphic within the parent rectangle correctly.

I also tested the move function, using the following code within my sample script:

frm.graphics.firstItem.move(['2pt','2pt'],undefined,true);

On CS3 the object moved as directed, but on CS4 it did not move at all.  It is almost like the graphic is anchored to the top left of its parent and can not be moved from that position via script.

I also tried using the item property rather than the firstItem property but it still fails with the same result on CS4.

frm.graphics.item(0).move(['2pt','2pt'],undefined,true);

Would it be possible for you to try running the script code I posted and see if you get the same results?

I am at a loss on how to make this work, I'm willing to try any other suggestions you might have.

Thanks,

Sheldon

• 6. Re: [JS] CS4 How to position a graphic within a Frame

I am still looking for a solution to this problem can anyone provide any insight into this problem?

• 7. Re: [JS] CS4 How to position a graphic within a Frame
                      Harbs. Level 6

Your problem is because of the object style you are applying. The 

fitting settings in the object style are resizing the graphic when you 

apply the style. Move the setting of the geometric bound to after the 

application of the style, and it will work as expected.

Harbs

http://www.in-tools.com

Innovations in Automation

• 8. Re: [JS] CS4 How to position a graphic within a Frame

Harbs, Thanks for the advice, you are absolutly correct. I tested it and it is now working correctly.  I would have never thought that the Style object would have affected the position of the graphic.  Thanks for the advice it is greatly appreciated.

Sheldon