26 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2009 6:30 PM by Kodebuster

No sound in PE 7

sfgumbo

I have no sound while working with video or .wma files. My audio meter shows sounds, but noting out my speakers. I search the forums and tried everything that I can find in them to no success. I have also tried reinstalling and that didn't correct the problem either. I can export to .flv and have sound just not when I am trying to edit clips. Here is are links that I tried with no success:

There are others that I tried and nothing seems to work. I have 2 computers that I have tried to get sound to work and neither one works with PE 7; however, both work with other applications and music cdroms. My first computer is HP with AMD quad-core 9850 processor 2.5 ghz with 8 Gig of RAM running Vista.

The second computer is Compaq with pentium 4 processor 2,4 ghz with 2 gigs ram running XP

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: No sound in PE 7
          the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, in the first link that you gave (Adobe forums), I posted my Audio Hardware Settings (Reply #4). What are yours? What other options do you have?

It is most likely an Audio Hardware setting, and it might be slightly different for each machine. Let's take one at a time, please. Pick one, and give the full details of each of your settings, especially the ASIO settings.

You've done your homework, so there will be fewer questions. Thanks for posting the details that you did - that helps.

If we still cannot get the settings right, I have one trick "up my sleeve," but want to see those settings first.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum,

Hunt

• 2. Re: No sound in PE 7
            sfgumbo Level 1

I have

reltek high definition audio      2048     0     2     16     yes

it is listed 3 times and I have a check in each of the boxes

I have also tried each individually with no results

• 3. Re: No sound in PE 7
              sfgumbo Level 1

One thing I failed to mention is when I first use PE 7 I was using a flash drive from my camcorder and I had sound, but since I have been using the hard drive in the camcorder I have not had sound in PE 7. I will try to use my flash card again and see if I still have sound when using it and let you know. Well I am not getting sounds from that either and now I don't know if I had sounds or not when I first got PE 7. I don't have the original clips from then so I cannot go back and check.

• 4. Re: No sound in PE 7
                the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, when something worked one day, but not the next, then something has changed.

First thing that I would do is go to the Realtek site and download/install the very latest driver. Yours is probably some weeks, or months old. Simple OS updates (been a lot lately) can kill these drivers in an instant.

If that does not help, please report back. Still have a trick, or two.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: No sound in PE 7
                  sfgumbo Level 1

The drivers are up to date. What's next?

• 6. Re: No sound in PE 7
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

It is only me popping in with some comments other than ASIO settings and updating drivers and resources.....

Are you saying that you do not get sound while in the Edit Mode of the program editing .wmv and other video, but, if you export the Timeline, you do get audio in the end product, be it a DVD-VIDEO or Personal Computer exports such a DV AVI, MPEG, Windows Media, or Quicktime?

"I can export to .flv and have sound just not when I am trying to edit clips". Related to that quote, what was on the Timeline before you presumedly went Share/Personal Computer/Adobe Flash Video?

When you find yourself on the Timeline with no sound for a .wmv, what happens if you render the timeline by pressing the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard? Is the sound there after this type of Rendering?

You may have been there and done this, but just in case

1. When you are in the Mix Audio and are looking at the audio levels, are you interpreting 0 dB as the sound of the original video rather than zero sound?

2. Whether or not you have been working in the Sceneline View, have you check the audio sliders next to the Filmstrip, Narration, and Soundtrack to make sure that they are set properly? Click next to each to make the slider visible...can impact Timeline sound unknowingly.

3. You said that the audio worked OK recently. Have you had System Restore ON and have you considered a System Restore to a Restore Point when you know the audio was working?

ATR

• 7. Re: No sound in PE 7
                      sfgumbo Level 1

It is only me popping in with some comments other than ASIO settings and updating drivers and resources.....

Are you saying that you do not get sound while in the Edit Mode of the program editing .wmv and other video, but, if you export the Timeline, you do get audio in the end product, be it a DVD-VIDEO or Personal Computer exports such a DV AVI, MPEG, Windows Media, or Quicktime?

Yes that is correct.

"I can export to .flv and have sound just not when I am trying to edit clips". Related to that quote, what was on the Timeline before you presumedly went Share/Personal Computer/Adobe Flash Video?

Just the video.

When you find yourself on the Timeline with no sound for a .wmv, what happens if you render the timeline by pressing the Enter Key of the computer main keyboard? Is the sound there after this type of Rendering?

When I have a .wma file (and the same thing happens when I have a video hile in Timeline) and press the enter key there  is no sound and all it does is starts the wma file or video over again.

You may have been there and done this, but just in case

1. When you are in the Mix Audio and are looking at the audio levels, are you interpreting 0 dB as the sound of the original video rather than zero sound?

That's correct.

2. Whether or not you have been working in the Sceneline View, have you check the audio sliders next to the Filmstrip, Narration, and Soundtrack to make sure that they are set properly? Click next to each to make the slider visible...can impact Timeline sound unknowingly.

I have checked them and moved them with no results.

3. You said that the audio worked OK recently. Have you had System Restore ON and have you considered a System Restore to a Restore Point when you know the audio was working?

I had to correct that statement. I don't remember if I had sound or not, but the only thing different from then is PE 7 updates.

• 8. Re: No sound in PE 7
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Your last response catch my particular attention.

What do you mean by PE 7 updates? I did not know there were any. Are you referring to Camera Raw 5.4 download from Adobe or downloads from photoshop.com plus membership or something else?

ATR

• 9. Re: No sound in PE 7
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

As there have been no updates for PrE 7, I am a bit confused. However, that might be moot.

Now for the "trick."

Go to ASIO4ALL, and download/install their ASIO driver. Go to Edit>Preferences>Audio Hardware and point both output and input to it. This ASIO universal driver has helped hundreds of Adobe users (mostly Audition and PrPro) with everything from a simple Realtek to some heavy-duty esoteric Audio gear.

Let's hope that it cures all issues.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: No sound in PE 7
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

I hope that Hunt's last suggestion resolves your issue.

But, if not, please let us figure out what you have been downloading to your computer in the name of "Premiere Elements Updates".

I will be watching for your progress.

ATR

• 11. Re: No sound in PE 7
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Tony,

I find that part quite odd, as well. You mentioned it first, and there is not a good answer, so far, on that. I'm puzzled and also curious.

I wonder if we are talking about PrE, and not some aspect of PSE. Time will tell.

BTW - good call on the possibility of an ARC update, but that would be for PSE.

Hunt

• 12. Re: No sound in PE 7
                                sfgumbo Level 1

Okay I have downloaded the driver robot and install updated driver, but still no sound in PrE 7. If PrE 7 have not had any updates then I have not installed any. The only thing I have installed or updates from Adobe and Vista. I still have no sound in the edit mode on either wma or video files (files from Canon Vixia HF11).

Any other suggestions?

• 13. Re: No sound in PE 7
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

"BTW - good call on the possibility of an ARC update, but that would be for PSE."

Your comment "...but that would be for PSE" is not quite correct as implied. I will not go into functionality at this time, but there is an install for the camera raw update in Photoshop Elements 7 as well as Premiere Elements 7. Check it out. (Adobe is up to Camera Raw 5.4 for the Photoshop Elements 7 and Premiere Elements 7.)

For Photoshop Elements 7, the route is:

Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 7.0\Plug-Ins\File Formats

For Premiere Elements 7, the route is:

Program Files\Adobe\Premiere Elements 7.0\Plug-Ins\Common\PSA

ATR

• 14. Re: No sound in PE 7
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Sorry, but I am out of ideas and tricks. What I have recommended has worked 100% for all others. I stepped through the processes, as they usually apply, and pulled the "equalizer," at the last. Your system has some sort of problem, that no one else has ever suffered from. Sorry, but I am out of ideas. Maybe others can help, but my "bag" is now empty. Maybe time to call Adobe TS, or the mfgr. of you particular computer.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 15. Re: No sound in PE 7
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Sorry to learn that prior suggestions have not resolved the issue.

Have you right click the Monitor, selected Playback settings from the pop up, and explored the setting there for audio? Is Desktop Audio selected?

In spite of your impressive computer specifications, have you done a check on available RAM and free hard drive space? I suspect you have.

What about the idea of System Restore to a Restore Point where you say the system worked for you? That often works for me when I have faced some hopeless situations. If you do and the new Restore Point does not impact the issue, reverse the System Restore and try running Premiere Elements one more time before giving up on this approach.

In the trend of Hunt's latest comment......are you working with a purchased version of Premiere Element, and how long have you had the program? Adobe T/S has been offering free Technical Service related to installation issues for registered purchased latest version. Before much more time passes, you may want to explore that possible resource.

Have you gone through the way out troubleshooting that sometimes corrects odd behavior, such as,

a. making sure that you are working from a User Account with Administrative Previledges?

b. creating another new User Account with Administrative Previledges and trying to run the program from it?

c. have you purged the preferences?

Also, do you have an sample audio, maybe a .wma or .mp3, that you can import into Premiere Elements 7 and determine if you have sound for it on the Premiere Elements Timeline Edit Mode Monitor playback? My the way, I forgot to ask when you move out of the edit mode, say to Create Menus, and do a Preview there, do you get sound (just a test).

That is my compilation of what ifs. Please let us know the outcome. One more uninstall/reinstall might be the last if none of the above gets you out of your present situation.

ATR

• 16. Re: No sound in PE 7
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                        That is my compilation of what ifs.

And a good compilation it is!

With Audio issues, there are so many places to look for settings:

1.) OS's Sounds

2.) Device's console

3.) PrE's Audio and Audion Hardware + the "advanced" areas, like ASIO Settings

4.) Device's hardware settings (not an issue here, as the chip is built in and, as such, only has jumpers on the MoBo. Also, sound plays in other apps, so those jumpers are obviously correct.)

5.) Source material

6.) Audio drivers (often killed in some programs, but OS updates and the like)

Other than trying different settings (with a check list in hand, as it can get confusing as heck) and testing each and every one, I'm hoping that something in your "compilation" will trigger with the OP and find the cure.

By my understanding, we have these facts:

A.) Audio plays in all/most other applications - rules out a major problem with the Realtek, plus should rule out 1, 2 & 4 (above)

B.) Source material plays Audio elsewhere - possibly rules out 5.

C.) All settings in 3 have been fully explored, plus ASIO4ALL was installed and was set as the target for all Input & Output - should rule out 3

D.) The very latest Realtek drivers were installed - rules out 6

I still keep coming back to #3, but everything has been tried, so I am stumped.

I'll keep thinking and Tony, please do the same. You've added some great tips, but whether any will help the OP remains to be seen.

To the OP,

Do go back to #3. Make a check list of ALL possible settings in all of those drop-downs, etc. With that list of possible settings, try each and every one, testing after you make the change. Though your setting look good, compared to my laptop's, there could be some major difference in your hardware - what works for me, might not even come close with yours. That's all I can think of for now.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 17. Re: No sound in PE 7
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

At this point, troubleshooting can be impacted by the frustration. So, the check list and systematic approach to rule things in or out comprehensively is the way to go.

But, when all else fails, we should not bypass those in the "it cannot be this" category as occurred in a recent post on another topic where the fix was the one in a million shot of "User Account with Administrative Previleges". One fix does not fix all, but, when it comes to crunch time, it is worth the time to explore and keep track of these remedies which have remedied odd behavior.

I too will be watching for the good news that "sounds" good.

ATR

• 18. Re: No sound in PE 7
                                            Kodebuster Level 3

Unless some additional tips or tricks surface, you can also try and run a Repair against PE7.

Load the install disc, when the dialog box appears, select Repair, and run to completion.

Another option would be a clean Uninstall, then re-install PE7 from scratch.

Neither of these attemps will impact your data files, but as always, it makes sense to backup data and Project files on a regular basis...

• 19. Re: No sound in PE 7
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Tony,

I agree competely. Just yesterday, on the PrPro CS4 forum, we were all trying to help a poster. He'd gotten pertty far along the troubleshooting trail and had posted some specific questions about where he was in the process. Everyone worked hard to help, but to no avail. We were all focused on the particular questions being asked.

In my last post, still addressing those questions, I threw in an "Oh, by the way... " sort of thing, just thinking aloud as I typed. Bingo! Success. It was just too bad that all of us (myself included) were concentrating on the questions at hand, and none thought to go back a few steps and address the original problem at the beginning - everyone, the poster included, was working from point D, and none considered going back to point A. If I'd thought aloud in the beginning, it would have saved many major uninstalls/clean/reinstalls of the entire Production Studio suite. The OP was about to wipe the HDD and start clean. For me, even with backups and such, that would have been a two-day process. Just glad that I hit the answer, when I did, but too late for a lot of unnecessary work.

I've tried to "get back to point A" on this one, but still keep coming up short.

All I can do now, is wish Good Luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: No sound in PE 7
                                                sfgumbo Level 1

I was able to find some of the original files that I made with the camcorder and tried to bring them into my newer computer (with vista op). When I tried to import them I get a message that I am missing a necessary codec file. These first movies that I made did have sound and still plays with sound on my older computer (one with xp). How do I go about installing the missing codec files? I did a complete reinstall and still have the same problem and connot find any information about codec. Can you point me in the right direction? By the way does the 64 bit version of vista have anything to do with this?

• 21. Re: No sound in PE 7
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

The first step is to get and employ G-Spot to get all of the info on those files. It will survey your system, and the file, and tell you the CODEC needed, its complete and full name, and whether you have it installed properly. If not (and apparently you do not), you'll need to search the Internet for the correct one. I strongly recommend only loading the CODEC's that one needs and when they need them.

This ARTICLE has some tips on where to look in G-Spot.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 22. Re: No sound in PE 7
                                                    sfgumbo Level 1

Finally I got everything to working. I did a complete uninstall and then did a reinstall. I had previously done a repair, but that didn't work. I had downloaded and used GSpot and discovered a bunch of missing codecs so that is why I did the uninstall. The only thing I did different this time is I also downloaded quicktime. I don't know if that made a difference since I don't have it on my other computer and got sound on the original files from my camcorder; however, I don't care. I am just tickle to death that I finally have sound.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

• 23. Re: No sound in PE 7
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

You do not know how happy I (I think we all are) that you returned with those wonderful words "It works." Congratuations.

But, my curiosity forces me to ask this question, "Which codecs were missing?" And, where did you get the replacements?

I understand your initial thoughts about Quicktime, but I do wish that had come up sooner. I thought for sure we had cleared that away early in the troubleshooting here or at another location that you cited.

No matter, this is a moment to celebrate, but still learn from the experience.

Continued success,

ATR

• 24. Re: No sound in PE 7
                                                        sfgumbo Level 1

I didn't take note of which codecs were missing. I just know that there at least 10 and probably more. So I figured that there was no way I should be missing so many, that my problem had to be in the installation. So even though I had run repair a couple of times I decided to uninstall and go with a new install. So with the new install and the additional quicktime installation everything is working. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

• 25. Re: No sound in PE 7
                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

One thing to be aware of is that both G-Spot and Sherlock the CODEC Detective will yield false-positives with all of the Adobe MainConcept CODEC's. Adobe hides these a bit, so other programs cannot overwrite them. They use a slightly different naming convention, and neither of those two utilities can find the MainConcept ones. If you see those listed as missing, do not be alarmed and do not do anything else - they are there. When you install either PrE, or PrPro, these are installed, and installed properly, just with slightly different names.

On the Audio issue, congratulations and glad that you have it back,

Hunt

• 26. Re: No sound in PE 7
                                                            Kodebuster Level 3

Glad to see that a clean uninstall, then reinstalled worked.

As a side note, I've been running PE7 with Vista-64 for quite a while with no issues.

One trick for future peace of mind.

Use G-Spot to get an accurate current count of all Codecs installed on your system.

Prior to installing any new Software in the future, first and always Create a Restore Point manually.

Many software packages will install Codecs that can wreak havoc on your system and your Video/Audio software.

If you encounter issues, and see a radical change in Codec count, you can always roll back to a known good Restore point...