15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2009 12:17 PM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

CS4 and Vector Paint crash

Eric Addison User Group Manager

I don't normally post over here in the AE forum (mostly the PPro forum) because well...AE really never has any problems for me.

However, I'm having some issues with the Vector Paint effect. I'm trying to get that "write-on" effect by using vector paint, and as I paint over the text, AE will freeze up on me and become non-responsive.

I tried turning off the OpenGL previews, but it still happens. I've got AE CS4, all the updates, on Vista 64 with a Quadro 1500 video card...

Any idea what might be happening here?

• 1. Re: CS4 and Vector Paint crash
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

You are very likely simply running out of memory. Similar behavior can be observed with other temporal effects such as for instance here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/474366?tstart=60. In your case this is compoiunded by Vector Paint establishing its own interface and memory buffer and generally being quite hungry. The "good" way to avoid these issues would be to beef up the system with more RAM, the workaround way would be to use the native paint tools (which are much more memory friendly) or otehr techniques such as creating a mtte with the Stroke effect based on a mask path.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: CS4 and Vector Paint crash

Thanks, Mylenium, for the answer. If it were happening just on my laptop with 2GB of RAM (which it is) I might agree with you, but on my HP workstation with 8GB of RAM (with Vista 64) I'm not sure that memory is the issue...or could it?

• 3. Re: CS4 and Vector Paint crash
              David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2

I'd use Paint rather than Vector Paint.  It's much more flexible; you can copy/link masks to the path (make sure to set transforms to 0,0 for alignment).

• 4. Re: CS4 and Vector Paint crash

Okay, it definitely shouldn't happen on a 64bit OS where AE can use full 4GB... Have you looked into your graphics card settings? Might be something going on there, then. You may also wish to change to a different visual theme and turn of some fancies of Vista's UI...

Mylenium

• 5. Re: CS4 and Vector Paint crash

I'll try looking at the UI settings in Vista, but I'm not sure it's the graphic card settings - it's doing the same thing on my laptop that has a different card...but then again you never know so I'll take a look there too.

I've done this before in the previous versions of AE with no problems - this is the first time I've tried it in CS4...could there be a bug in CS4?

Thanks again for the input!

• 6. Re: CS4 and Vector Paint crash

I wouldn't call these things bugs prematurely. However, since Vector Paint is a "legacy" effect, it may not have gotten the attention it would have required, so anything is possible. I would try the display settings first before giving up. I could well imagine that the custom drawing of the brush buttons and shaped cursor could cause trouble on that end. also look into the Accelerate Layer, Footage and Composition Panels option in your prefs. Turning it off may coax the effect into working properly.

Mylenium

• 7. Re: CS4 and Vector Paint crash

Mylenium - I've tried doing this on 2 separate computers with 2 different graphics cards only to see the same result. Create some text, add vector paint effect, the paint over them only to have AE freeze up. I tried switching off some of the OpenGL prefs, but nothing - still crashes. I may have to load up CS3 for this project if I can't get this to work...can anyone get this to work for them?

• 8. Re: CS4 and Vector Paint crash

I'm not getting any issues on my machine here (I can literally bomb it with a thousand strokes and it still is happy), so it must be something specific to your systems. Font issues perhaps?

Mylenium

• 9. Re: CS4 and Vector Paint crash

Okay - I can get it not to crash if I just paint over the text...try holding down the shift key (for recording) while painting...does that make your system crash? If not, then yes - there must be something on my 2 systems...

Thanks for the help!

• 10. Re: CS4 and Vector Paint crash

Ah, I see. Yes, that happens on my system, too. However, it only occurs when the default when the Better Brush Preview option is active. Apparently calculating the antialiasing causes an out of memory error at some point. With the option turned of, I can paint without problems, so that may offer a way for you to get things back on track.

Mylenium

• 11. Re: CS4 and Vector Paint crash

Thanks for the tip, but unless I'm doing something wrong...it's still happening for me on both systems after unchecking that.

UGH!

Anyone from Adobe have any input (just in case they come across this)?

• 12. Re: CS4 and Vector Paint crash
                                Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Eric:

I just tried this with the Mac version of CS4 at home and it didn't crash. I will test it now on Windows too.

So, what you're doing is something like this:

1. Create text layer.

2. Apply Vector Paint.

3. Set playback mode to "Animate strokes". Set the Composite Paint as "As Matte" or "Track Original Matte"

4. Record paint strokes.

This is not giving me a crash. Are there other steps that could be relevant to reproduce the crash?

• 13. Re: CS4 and Vector Paint crash

Adolfo -

Thanks for checking in on this post.

Your steps are all correct but as you paint the text, hold down the shift key to record (I also set the shift-paint record option to "continuously")...I usually get through about 2 letters before the little Vista wheel starts spinning and the screen goes white.

Any help you can provide would be great!

• 14. Re: CS4 and Vector Paint crash

Adolfo,

Where you able to see this crash? Any new info?

Thanks!

• 15. Re: CS4 and Vector Paint crash
                                      Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Eric:

I tested this on Mac OS and Win XP, which is what I have at my home studio at this time. I didn't get a crash, and I did use the Shift-paint mode you mentioned.. It may be a Vista-related issue.

If you file a bug report, including full configuration details, it will be investigated properly.