6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2009 12:40 PM by pptdgc

Help with video playback please - frame rate?

pptdgc

I am new to Adobe Premiere and am trying to create a project from some video's I have taken on my digital camera. I have imported these and they show as AVI 640 by 480, 30fps. However when I click to preview these or add the video to the timeline and click 'play' the sound plays normally but the video frame does not work properly and changes perhaps every few seconds at the most. I tried exporting a video that I have created and I get the same problem. Any ideas??

Thanks

• 1. Re: Help with video playback please - frame rate?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

First, we need to know more about those AVI's. This THREAD will give you background and how to get that info.

Next, my first guess is that you will find MJPEG, as the CODEC. Just a guess. If that is what G-Spot tells you, get either the MainConcept, or the Morgan MJPEG CODEC and install it.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Help with video playback please - frame rate?
            Harm Millaard Level 7

My guess is that Bill's tip will solve your issues, but I wonder why so many people persist in using a digital STILL camera for video editing. That makes about as much sense as,  when on a warm summer night, you are looking for some ice cubes for your drink in the microwave.

• 3. Re: Help with video playback please - frame rate?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

I think that a lot of it is the marketing of so many of these units, as "do-it-all" solutions.

There are some major after-market players, who have developed a whole line of matte-boxes, follow-focus doohickies, and attached monitors for the Canon 5D MK II. Obviously, there is a growing market for these cameras, and many people are availing themselves of them.

Now, with the file handling and the background work that needs to be done first not withstanding, it seems that the results are very good. I've reviewed files from both the Canon 5D and the Nikon D-90, and was impressed with the results. Now, I was not attempting to edit/Export from these test files, but was able to easily Import and preview them, with the proper CODEC's.

However, I do not use my video camera to take stills, and do not use my still cameras to do motion. For me, I keep these operations separate. Still, there is that convenience factor of having one camera and lens set, and doing both. Many has been the time that I regretted lugging two kits around with me, on holiday. Maybe I'll yield to temptation - but all my lenses are Nikon, and I liked the footage from the Canon better...

Just thinking,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Help with video playback please - frame rate?
                Harm Millaard Level 7

Bill,

I can understand (somewhat) that the video capabilities of the D5 and D-90 may appeal to some because of the sensor size and thus the DOF effect, although I would certainly prefer a Letus on my video camera. But for the point-and-shoot variety of still cameras it is a complete disaster with the lack of tripod mounting, focus and the enormous hassle of trying to edit that later, that I find it ridiculous to even try it. But, as can be seen from recent posts, the school vacations are over and the number of students that try PR out without reading the manual or help file is mounting....

God help us.

• 5. Re: Help with video playback please - frame rate?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Harm,

Cannot argue. However, as you note, there is great popularity, so maybe I should have invested in Canon, or Nikon (actually over the decades, I feel that I have!). Now, it's not just Summer. Gird your loins. The Holiday Season will soon be upon us. You ain't seen nothing yet...

Maybe you need to do a series of articles, so we can just link to those, as the requests for help come flooding in.

Hunt

• 6. Re: Help with video playback please - frame rate?
                    pptdgc Level 1

Thanks - your answer solved my problem. I just had to install the Codec.

The only reason i am using digital camera video's is because I haven't got a HD camera yet (but soon hopefully). I wanted to try out Adobe premiere to see what I can do with it. :-)