9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2009 9:26 AM by the_wine_snob

Workflow Question: After Effects vs. Premiere

Suntower Level 1

Howdy Boys! Did they have 'the lunch' yet?

I finished my 1st video and it worked out pretty well considering I was learning as I go. However, I couldn't help but feel that what I wanted to do was better suited to AE. OTOH, AE drives me -nuts- with the -constant- RAM Preview stuff. And it doesn't do Titles, which I need.

So, I guess I'm wondering if or how y'all deal with this sort of thing.

Frankly, I wish I could work inside AE all the time, because it's so flexible with keyframing, matting, etc. I can change my mind and try things. But it's also so tedious for routine stuff.

My current idea is to create the titles and basic storyline tracks in Premiere and then export that into AE for final work. OTOH, I could go the other way---do all the 'fx' in AE and then import -that- into PP.

Any suggestions on which way to go?

Are the project import/export features in PP and/or AE reliable? Is one better than the other?

TIA,

---JC

• 1. Re: Workflow Question: After Effects vs. Premiere
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          Howdy Boys! Did they have 'the lunch' yet?

Not yet. They probably could not get fresh lobsters at this time of year.

And it doesn't do Titles, which I need.

AE does titles very nicely IMO. Much better than PR. Look at the Title animation settings for some ideas.

AE has a pretty steep learning curve and is perfectly suited for relatively short compositions, but for long ones, I personally find the lack of overview somewhat cumbersome. I prefer to do the major part with PR and small parts in AE works best for me. What I like about the export capabilities is the possibility to export with an alpha channel.

Not much info to go on, but I currently have no more to give you. Maybe someone else with more extensive AE experience can tune in.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Workflow Question: After Effects vs. Premiere
            Suntower Level 1

Thanks for the reply.

RE: Titles...

I did not find -anything- in the AE PDF on 'titles' but your post prompted me to try and create text layers---which works fine for one or two. The problem for -me- is that, if you want to do subtitles, it appears that you'd have to create a new layer for each line of dialog. Or maybe I missed something.

Yes, it's the lack of 'overview' in AE that drives me nuts. To do what I want to do will require a gazillion 'layers' and that seems very cumbersome.

Do you find the import/export to be reliable?

---JC

• 3. Re: Workflow Question: After Effects vs. Premiere
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              Not yet. They probably could not get fresh lobsters at this time of year.

I hear that the Adobe cafeteria has them - big, succulent Maine lobsters and not some prawn with a pituitary problem!

Good comments on the workflow Harm. One thing that I would add would be to do the Titles in PS, and then bring them into either program (I'd possibly go with AE, but the Project might dictate otherwise). Regardless of which you choose, PrPro, or AE, you can separately animate each Layer, if needed, and have a lot more, in the way of Styles and Effects/Filters, in PS.

Normally, I'll use PS and PrPro first, and then take Comps into AE, when I can benefit.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Workflow Question: After Effects vs. Premiere
                Harm Millaard Level 7

For subtitles only, I prefer to use that in Encore exclusively. Two reasons, it is very easy and fast and the second one is that you can turn them on or off as you like, which is especially handy with people with different nationalities watching. For subtitles there are no exotic effects required, the plainer the better is my thinking.

• 5. Re: Workflow Question: After Effects vs. Premiere
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  The problem for -me- is that, if you want to do subtitles, it appears that you'd have to create a new layer for each line of dialog.

JC,

Do you mean real Subtitles, or just lower-third Titles with text. For the former, I'd go with Encore, as it does real Subtitles, or Closed Captions (similar, but different). For the latter, I'd stick to PrPro, create a Template for your lower-third, and just Ctrl+c/Ctrl+v your text, say from Word, or just typed in for simple text.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Workflow Question: After Effects vs. Premiere
                    Suntower Level 1

The latter. The thing that for -me- is a total drag about PrPro is that it takes so many key strokes to 'duplicate' each title. What I would like is to be able to Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V each clip in the timeline and make each -unique-, rather than having to duplicate each title in the Project and then move these into the timeline. It may seem like a little thing, but I've got perhaps 100 individual titles to create and it gets tedious. Is there a faster way to do this?

For example, in most DAWs you have a choice to make a 'ghost copy' vs. a 'real copy' in the timeline. ie. you can choose whether each clip is it's own 'footage' or if duplicating a clip simply creates a 2nd reference to the same parent 'footage'. Can one make a 'real' copy in PrPro in one step?

TIA,

---JC

• 7. Re: Workflow Question: After Effects vs. Premiere
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

There is no real "streamlining," but let me say that PrPro makes it much easier, than most other NLE's.

Best to do:

Title>New>Default Still (or you can choose a lower-third Template). Accept the default name, Title01. This is a one-time deal. Do the necessary design work to get it like you want it, and put in the necessary text for that first Title. Click the New Based on Current Title icon (upper-left of the Titler Panel), and a name dialog box will come up with Title02. Hit OK, click on your text box with the Selection Tool, and Ctrl+c from your text in Word, etc., then Ctrl+v in that Selected text box. Click on that icon again, accept the new name Title03, and repeat. That's really pretty quick, and if you do accept the auto-incrementig Title name, you save a bunch of time. If you have your text in blocks in Word, etc., ready to go, you can do 99 Titles in about 10-15 mins. Now, one caveat: the default Title naming will limit you to only 99 Titles, without doing typing in the name dialog box. If you have 99+, then there are more keystrokes, as you need to have three numerical characters and PrPro will default to the next incremented two character names - that is a bit of a limitation. I keep filing a Feature Request to have the New Based on.. pick up the name of the Title that the new one is based on, and increment by 1, with a three character numeric character display. I must be the only one, who does not like having to change Title0x to "Jenny_text_00x," 'cause Adobe has not changed this default.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Workflow Question: After Effects vs. Premiere
                        Suntower Level 1

"I keep filing a Feature Request to have the New Based on.. pick up the name of the Title that the new one is based on, and increment by 1, with a three character numeric character display. I must be the only one, who does not like having to change Title0x to "Jenny_text_00x," 'cause Adobe has not changed this default."

An excellent tip!

+1 to your F.R.

---JC

• 9. Re: Workflow Question: After Effects vs. Premiere
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, that one would save me much typing. Now, I can Copy/Paste the Title name, and then manually increment, but if I'm also doing a Copy/Paste of text, I'm hosed. About every 6 mos., since the introduction of PrPro 2.0, I file that FR. I did amend it to also increment with 3 places, instead of the current 2. I do not do that many Projects with 99+ Titles, but enough to want 3 places now.

Good luck,

Hunt