14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 19, 2009 6:05 PM by the_wine_snob

How do I reinstall missing Adobe Media Encoder CS3 ?

Robert.tropical Level 1

I need some help here ??

When attempting to encode on Vista from Premiere 3.2 the Adobe Media Encode (AME) just goes off and hangs.

Looked for the error log which lives at

C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Media Encoder\4.0\AMEEncodingErrorLog.txt

Make sure you have view hidden files turned on to look for this file..

Ok the folder "Adobe Media Encoder" is not on my machine... It looks like the installation is FUBAR.

I check CS3 Master Collection distribution - I don't see a module for Adobe Media Encoder to reinstall.

So my question is . How do I reinstall the "Adobe Media Encoder" for the CS3 collection ?

Anybody have a clue as how to do this ?

How do I reinstall the Adobe Media Encoder CS3 ?

• 1. Re: How do I reinstall missing Adobe Media Encoder CS3 ?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

It looks like your installation is really messed up. Trying to install CS3, but the error log is in CS4???

I would do a complete reinstall. You start that by inserting the original install disk and .... the rest should be very obvious,

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How do I reinstall missing Adobe Media Encoder CS3 ?
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Did you ever have the trial version of either CS3, or CS4, on this machine? If so, I would run the Adobe Clean Script (there is one for each version), before the reinstall. Run it a few times. Personally, I'd also run CCleaner, before the reinstall too.

Also, as Harm points out, which version of PrPro is it that you are trying to install?

Last, if you had both CS3 and CS4 on the machine, and uninstalled CS3, it will smurf CS4, and you will need to do a Repair Install.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: How do I reinstall missing Adobe Media Encoder CS3 ?
              Robert.tropical Level 1

Well I can't find out where the CS3 error log lives - So I'm assuming it lives in the "Adobe Encoder Folder" which is NOT there.

Note: I've already removed and re-installed the entire master collection and No Joy !

What is the secret to getting a "Virgin Install" and any clue HOW to reinstall Adobe Media Encoder when I don't see it in the Master Collection Install distribution. Where the heck does this thing live and How can I reinstall it ?

• 4. Re: How do I reinstall missing Adobe Media Encoder CS3 ?
                Robert.tropical Level 1

The installation is for CS3 , I never had CS4 on the machine.

The location of the error file I clipped from the support chat. I would assume that the location for CS3 error log would be in the same "Adobe Media Encoder". folder ?

The version of Premiere is 3.2 ( I applied all the updates ) Oh and let me thank you in advance fopr you help !!!

Oh one last thing - Where do I find this clean script thing  and any suggestion as HOW to completely remove the entire install ?

Would you uninstall just Premeire or the entire collection ?

• 5. Re: How do I reinstall missing Adobe Media Encoder CS3 ?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                  What is the secret to getting a "Virgin Install" and any clue HOW to reinstall Adobe Media Encoder when I don't see it in the Master Collection Install distribution. Where the heck does this thing live and How can I reinstall it ?

Well, in CS3, AME was an integral part of PrPro, and installs WITH PrPro. To the best of my knowledge, there is no separate installation routine for it alone.

As for the virgin installation, one might try running the Adobe Clean Script CS3, after an uninstall, even if there was not trial ever on that machine, Next, CCleaner a few times, until it reports "nothing." Then just the installation of PrPro CS3 from the installation discs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How do I reinstall missing Adobe Media Encoder CS3 ?
                    Robert.tropical Level 1

Wow I can't thank you enough for you thoughts on the subject. A few more fast questions and I'll be off.

1) So the process would be to remove PrPro.

2) Run the Adobe Clean Script ( This will not destroy the entire collection ) ?

3) Then run CCleaner until it reports nothing.

4) Then reinstall PrPr

Humm Ok I'm game.

Last 2 questions ?

Where do I get Clean Script for cs3 ?

And what is CCleaner and where do I get that ?

Again let me thank you for your time

• 7. Re: How do I reinstall missing Adobe Media Encoder CS3 ?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

#1 - yes

#2 - do not know, as I have never run Adobe Clean Script CS3, or CS4. Not sure who/where this knowledge could come from, but I do not have it.

#3 - yes

#4 - yes

#5 - HERE Maybe be some answers to #2 on the site. I'd read everything and follow any links to KB Articles

#6 - A Registry cleaner that is good and freeware. I recommend it here for the Registry cleaning. It will clean cookies, recent files, etc., so choose the Registry tab for this. Use it for other things later. Get it HERE.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: How do I reinstall missing Adobe Media Encoder CS3 ?
                        Robert.tropical Level 1

Ok I'm off.. 1st pass I'll deinstall PrPre. Run Adobe clean script ( Hope it doesn't clobber the entire master collection ) so I'll post the results for all to see

I'll report when complete.. Oh and thanks again..

• 9. Re: How do I reinstall missing Adobe Media Encoder CS3 ?
                          Robert.tropical Level 1

Ok Back - I de-Installed PrPre, ran adobe script cleaner, ran cclean and re-installed just PrPre. (Vista)

No  Joy... Adobe Media Encoder still hangs after launch from PrPre. (Starting to wonder why we spent all this money for this product to have all this pain and loss of production ) I've got about 2 man days in this attempt to repair.

Ok Now removing the ENTIRE CS3 Collection. I'll post the results in a few hours for others.

Will Adobe give me my money back if this doesn't work ?

I need a product that ACTUALLY WORKS !!!!

Adobe I'm NOT a happy camper <grrrrrr>

• 10. Re: How do I reinstall missing Adobe Media Encoder CS3 ?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            Adobe Media Encoder still hangs after launch from PrPre.

Robert,

If I read your OP correctly, you have made progress. Before, you did not even have AME (why?), now you do, but it will not launch.

See this ARTICLE for ways to sniff out "clues" as to why it will not launch. These are clues, but might help you, or others, address the cause.

As most users have had no issue with CS3 and AME, I'd suspect that there is something amiss on your system. Those clues, mentioned above, might help track that down.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: How do I reinstall missing Adobe Media Encoder CS3 ?
                              Robert.tropical Level 1

Well the results ??  No Joy.

1st) Removed The Entire CS2 Master Collection

2nd) Rebooted

3rd) Ran Adobe Script Cleaner

4th) Ran CCleaner

5th) Rebooted

6th) Installed The Entire Master Collection once again

7) Re-booted

8th) Rebooted PrePr and watched it fail once again upon launch of AME

I've concluded that this product is very unstable on a Vista platform.

I've done everything possible more than once.

Anybody else have any suggestions to fix this challenge ???

Otherwise it's pretty worthless from my perspective.

• 12. Re: How do I reinstall missing Adobe Media Encoder CS3 ?
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

What did Event Viewer have to say, especially the Applications and System tab? Any clues? If the program is crashing, or hanging, there should be a trail. You should see good messages, when it launches, and then some sort of a warning, or error message.

I forget, which version of Vista are you running, 32, or 64? Did you install the CS3.0.2 update (think that you mentioned that you did)?

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas. Many had no issues running CS3.0.2 on Vista-32. I do not recall any AME launch problems with CS3, but my memory is not what it once was. AME just opened and worked for almost everyone.

One last question: could it be possible that AME is launching, but its window is being obscured some way? Did you go from dual to single monitors? In PrPro, can you reset your Window>Workspace to one of the defaults?

Man, I'm scraping the "bottom of the barrel" here, but trying to think of what could be wrong.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: How do I reinstall missing Adobe Media Encoder CS3 ?
                                  Robert.tropical Level 1

Mr Hunt...

I my view you're a wizzard with statute more than Merlin...

Here's what I found. Last time I shut down ProPre I was on a dual monitor.

I tossed my laptop in the car went to 2nd location.

Re-configured laptop for single monitor mode.

Upon starting up ProPre hammered encoding and the resulting screen opened ...... which I could not see.

PrePro DOES NOT sense hardware.... Dhaaaaaaaaa

Its stays stuck in dual monitor mode !!!!!

You need a second monitor to unstick it !!!!!

I was unable to set it back to single mode without the 2nd monitor !!!

Yahhoooo !!!! Its working again !!!!!

Dhaaaaaaa

• 14. Re: How do I reinstall missing Adobe Media Encoder CS3 ?
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Robert,

I think I am almost as happy as you must be. So very, very sorry that I did not think of that with your very first post. Mea culpa, mea culpa. I guess that I got focused on what I thought the problems might be. Guess that I've being doing too much linear troubleshooting, and just did not think outside the box, or "monitor," as the case might be.

Going back many years, good friend brought down his new Macbook. He wanted to show me how well it ran Photoshop. He went to do Shadow & Highlight Adjustment, and NO dialog screen. We thought about it, and had a glass of wine. He mentioned his setup back in CO and it hit me - he had dragged that dialog box to his second monitor. That was where it was, so to speak. I grabbed a spare 17", that hooked up to the Macbook, and there it was! He moved it back, and continued his demo of the Macbook. For any PS users following along at home, the secret to getting out of this "apparent hang," is the Esc key!

Well, at last you can get to editing and leave this uninstall/reinstall cycle behind. Still sorry that I did not think of this earlier.

Thanks for making my afternoon - I now declare "Wine Thirty!"

Hunt

PS A note to anyone doing troubleshooting - think out loud, no matter how odd it might initially seem.