3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2009 9:09 AM by RoboWizard

Captivate 4.0 - Need best practice tips on panning, templates, resolution, etc.

kcarveraz1

Hi all,

Been searching all over in case someone has already published Best Practices for Captivate 4.0 (particularly the new/enhanced features), but coming up empty. My client's in house graphics person has been tasked with creating a template for us to use for a number of software simulations. He's running in to these challenges:

- Our SWF needs to be 800 x 600 and he created the template for this size, but the app won't fit.

- He's found the panning feature to produce very choppy, disappointing results. Tips?

- His suggestion is we capture at 1024 x 768, then resize to 800 x 600, then copy/paste the slides into his 800 x 600 template. Would we be better off recreating the template at 1024 x 768 and not resizing until the final output is generated for each tutorial? His concern is that our template will then become larger, making it harder for us to send back and forth as changes are made, etc.

Any other suggestions for how to deal with the resolution issue, how best to take advantage of templates, etc.?

Thanks,

Katie Carver

Senior Technical Writer

Docs-to-You, LLC

• 1. Re: Captivate 4.0 - Need best practice tips on panning, templates, resolution, etc.
          Scout's mom Level 2

Katie,

If you're outputting SWF with HTML launch files then I recommend a max finished resolution of 1000 x 680.  (My brilliant former co-worker, Walt Stewart, discovered this.)  This max size is viewable on a system set at 1024 x 768 with browser bars closed (F11).  On some old laptops, 1024 x 768 is max resolution, and if you have users of the bifocal generation, they may not want any higher resolution than 1024 x 768.

Okay, so as a 'ferinstance', I open my app, set Captivate to capture at 1000 x 620 and use the nifty 'Snap to Fit' feature.  After capturing I resize WITHOUT rescaling to add 30-pixel header and footer areas (sort of like resizing the canvas in Photoshop).  The result is a 1000 x 680 screen to which I can add a graphical/text header and footer.

Try to avoid rescaling projects.  The resolution gets very blurry and weird, and your objects get out of wack.  'Plan ahead to avoid rework' is my motto.

If this is baffling, contact me privately and we can discuss.

P.S.  I don't use templates.  I apply my template-like graphical elements at the end.  The plus is that I can be capturing while the artists are doing their magic.

P.P.S.  I'm in the process of putting together an e-book about using Captivate in the real world.  Tell me to get a-move on!

Leslie Bivens

E-Learning Developer/Captivate Coach

leslie@lesliebivens.com

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Captivate 4.0 - Need best practice tips on panning, templates, resolution, etc.
            kcarveraz1 Level 1

Thanks for the info, Leslie! Definitely going to hold on to those specs for future projects. Unfortunately I think my current client is firm on the 800 x 600 output. Have you (or anyone else reading this) used the panning feature at all? Not being able to show the whole app. wouldn't be a problem if we could produce smooth panning (getting jerky/choppy results so far).

Our desire to use a template stems from the need to have multiple authors capturing this series of tutorials. (A template seems like a good way to ensure we are all using the same project settings for captions, keyboard/mouse-click sounds, etc.)

Your e-book is a great idea! Yes, by all means, get it done :-).

Thanks,

Katie

• 3. Re: Captivate 4.0 - Need best practice tips on panning, templates, resolution, etc.
              RoboWizard Level 4

Hi there

In my own opinion, Panning is a nice attempt, but just doesn't cut the mustard. It's nowhere near as good as the panning one sees with Camtasia Studio.

I might suggest combining Camtasia with Captivate for the ultimate development set. There are aspects Captivate shines in when compared with Camtasia, and there are aspects Camtasia shines in when compared with Captivate. So I say if you can afford it, go for it!

Now I know that both packages are sort of pricey and not everyone can afford both. In that case you might want to try Jing, which is free to use. I've not looked very deeply at it, but it may offer some of what Camtasia does. You could then use that for your panning and enhance Captivate that way.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks