14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2010 1:51 PM by harringg_

Duplicate Radio Buttons

wreded Level 1

Many thanks to both GKaiseril and try67 for their helpful responses to my previous question.

On to the next.  Form has a three checkbox radio button on page 1, the same three checkboxes are necessary on another page.  i've duplicated the radio buttons to the required page, but when i check the appropriate checkbox on page one then check the same appropriate checkbox on page 'X', but page one checkboxes go back to being unchecked.

How do i make it so that the appropriate checkbox on page 'X' has the same value as the appropriate checkbox on page one?

Thanks,

Dave

• 1. Re: Duplicate Radio Buttons
          try67 MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Your question is not very clear. Do you want them to have the same value, or not?

If the answer is Yes, then they need to have the same name. If No, then you need to give each of them a different name.

• 2. Re: Duplicate Radio Buttons
            wreded Level 1

Yep, i've gotta have the same information in them.  i duplicated the existing 3 buttons thinking that if i checked one of the three, having the same name it would duplicate the action.  It didn't appear to work.  i just tried it again and it still fails to work.

There are 3 radio buttons masquerading as check boxes, the selected value needs to be duplicated to another page (darned gummint forms).  In other words, if i check Box 1 on Page 1, i need Box 1 on Page X to reflect the same value.  The same with Box 2 and Box 3.

Thanks,

Dave

• 3. Re: Duplicate Radio Buttons

If they have the same name, they will have the same value. But try setting

the binding to Global.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Duplicate Radio Buttons
                wreded Level 1

Ok, i don't see where to set the properties as global.  i'm using Adobe Pro 7.0 and it doesn't appear have that capability in the properties sheet.

Dave

• 5. Re: Duplicate Radio Buttons
                  Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Global is a setting for LiveCycle Designer forms.

• 6. Re: Duplicate Radio Buttons

Maybe you should post the file so we can check what you did wrong.

• 7. Re: Duplicate Radio Buttons
                      Bernd Alheit Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In the properties of the radio buttons you must enable the entry 'Buttons with the same name and value are selected in unison'.

1 person found this helpful
                      • 8. Re: Duplicate Radio Buttons
                        wreded Level 1

i can't post the entire file due to Privacy Act things, it's one of them gummint forms that people keep adding to over time and no one ever bothers to look at what information has already been collected.  But, if You fail to fill out all the information it's sent back with no action until all the correct boxes have been checked, etc.

My 3 radio buttons boxes are on page one with the name of "xdesignation" on each box.  i duplicated the boxes to page X where the same information is required again, keeping the name "xdesignation" for each box.  If i select any box on page 1 the same box on page X is not selected, they're all blank.  If i select any box on page X, the boxes on page 1 all go blank or empty.  It's seems to be kinda mutually exclusive; if i have one set of boxes i can't have the other.

If i change the name of each box to "xdesignation1" , "...2", "...3" then they're not radio buttons anymore and all 3 can be selected.  If i use the 'Buttons with the same name and value are selected in unison' they're also individually selectable and clicking on any of them seems to remove the radio button quality (where clicking on any button unselects whichever was selected before).

This isn't a high priority thing for me at the present time, it's more of a "dammit i know this can be done" kinda thing.  i can get by with what i have but i want to get it working like i envision it as soon as i can.

Thanks,

Dave

• 9. Re: Duplicate Radio Buttons
                          MarkWalsh Level 4

I'm not sure why it's not working for you. I did a quick test and created a checkbox in a blank form, and named it 'xdesignation'. I then duplicated it to another page, and everything works as expected - checking the box on one page is reflected on the second.

Is it possible that the checkboxes have different export values set for them on each page? That's the only way I can think that would give you the results you are having (assuming that the fields are indeed named EXACTLY the same)

• 10. Re: Duplicate Radio Buttons
                            wreded Level 1

Ok.  i must've held my tounge right this time.

Lacking any other ideas i got a copy of the RadioCheckBox_AcroForm.pdf from Adobe here and played with it.  It all worked just like i wanted so i copied the RadioCheckBoxes to my form, resized them to fit, and duplicated them.

Voila, it worked.  When i went to rename the first 3 checkboxes to "xdesignation" i was told that there was already something of another type with that name so i deleted them and everything since then has worked great.

Thanks for all Your prompt, quality responses.

Dave

==============================================================

DING!

After thoughting about this all afternoon i think i know why the Radio Check Box thing wasn't working for me.  i was using the Radio Button tool instead of using the Check Button tool.  If i copied the Radio Buttons it merely extended the Radio Button group instead of creating a new group.  The tip off was when i copied the existing "radio check boxes" from the official Adobe file.  The type change was noted by the Adobe 7 software and i couldn't create an instance with the same name of something that already existed under a different type.

Problem solved and i'm at least a little smarter than when i started this whole thing.

Many thanks to all who put their brain power behind my lack of it, especially try67 and http://forums.adobe.com/people/Bernd%20AlheitBernd Alheit; i'd be a lot less knowlledgeable about all this without Your assistance.

Thanks again,

Dave

• 11. Re: Duplicate Radio Buttons
                              wreded Level 1

PBKAC (Problem Between Keyboard And Computer) error.

• 12. Re: Duplicate Radio Buttons
                                harringg_ Level 1

I've got a similar question.  I have a 50 page document that I want to  add check boxes to.  Adding the Check Box, selecting Duplicate>All,  puts them all with the same name, resulting in of course either 50 checked  or unchecked based on the state of the first one.  Changing the name corrects that,  but is there a quicker way to batch change (or batch add) uniquely named  check boxes?  I would like in one case page 7, 12, 32, etc... to have a check, but not the other pages.  The scenario is a document that each page needs to manually looked at and approved or rejected.  I know too I could use a Stamp Tool, but would like the layout of the check boxes consistent across multiple documents.

I tried Radio Buttons too and that didn't work.

TIA

Acrobat 9 Pro Windows

try67 wrote:

Your question is not very clear. Do you want them to have the same value, or not?

If the answer is Yes, then they need to have the same name. If No, then you need to give each of them a different name.

• 13. Re: Duplicate Radio Buttons
                                  RenéG Level 3

RIght-Click on a field and then select "Place Multiple Fields...", will produce duplicates with different names, but where to place them is very limited.

Have a look at that feature anyway.

• 14. Re: Duplicate Radio Buttons
                                    harringg_ Level 1

Thanks.  That only duplicates on the page that the original item is located, correct?  I don't see that I can move them off that page.  I'm (slowly) working on a scripting solution that's working out quite well.