6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2009 11:03 AM by the_wine_snob

Adobe Premiere CS3 will not open!

rpope12

Adobe premiere CS3 will not open.  When I click on the Adobe icon on my desktop, I get this message:  This application has failed to start because prm.dll was not found.  I've tried several things such as:  uninstalling the program then reinstalliing it.  I tried to open Adobe by clicking on one of my projects by opening MY Computer from start on the taskbar, then click on c drive, etc. but it will not open.  Before I started getting the error message stated above, when I clicked on the icon, the program would load to the point of showing the top portion of the page (file, edit, etc.) then stop.  It would never fully load.  HELP!!!!!   I'm in the middle of trying to meet several deadlines.

• 1. Re: Adobe Premiere CS3 will not open!
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Without further details and seeing you are up to deadlines, I would not invest time in troubleshooting, but go for a complete reformat of the boot disk, reinstall of OS and programs and start from scratch.

The alternative is to wait for someone to give you some advise AFTER you have supplied relevant details: Some suggestions

• 2. Re: Adobe Premiere CS3 will not open!
            the_wine_snob Level 9

First, search your system for every instance of prm.dll. See if you have one (could be corrupt, but a Repair Install should have repaired it) in your PrPro CS3 folder hierarchy. Do you have any more? How do the dates and sizes compare to the one, if there is one, in PrPro? Here is a LINK to a .dll site. I do not know this site, so cannot even comment on their .dll's. I'd do the first suggestion, well - first.

Also, I do not know this .dll. It could be a VST from an Audio editing program, or similar. Some of these have been known to bring PrPro to its knees, at launch. Might be worthwhile to check into it a bit more.

Also, take a look at Event Viewer. This ARTICLE will give you some tips on what to look for. Could be more happening, than the error message might lead one to believe.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Adobe Premiere CS3 will not open!
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's a LINK to more info on this .dll. This might be only one use of it, but it does not look like a VST.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Adobe Premiere CS3 will not open!
                the_wine_snob Level 9

For what it's worth, I have 5 copies of prm.dll, and all are Adobe. Four are the same size and nearly the same date, and are in Audition, Encore, PrPro and AE. One is in PrElements and is smaller and newer. In PrPro, mine is in the program's root folder. You might want to try copying yours from Encore to PrPro and trying a re-launch. If it fails, be sure to remove this copy.

Good luck,

Hunt

BTW - welcome to the forum

• 5. Re: Adobe Premiere CS3 will not open!
                  rpope12 Level 1

Thanks a lot Hunt.  I will let you know what happens in a day or two, maybe three.

rpope12

• 6. Re: Adobe Premiere CS3 will not open!
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck, and please do report. Hope that you can get a good copy of that .dll, and that PrPro will use it perfectly. Now, what happened to it's version will probably remain a mystery, but if you can get PrPro up and running, maybe we do not need to know what happened - unless it happens again.

Hunt