5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2009 8:01 AM by A.T. Romano

Separating Into Tracks or Scenes

jeighty8 Level 1

I have taken about 45 minutes worth of video from a talent show on a JVC Everio 330 digital camera.  I would like to separate the video according to the individual acts.  Since I am a "raw newbie" to this, I need to know if Premier Elements 7 can do this and how.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeighty8

• 1. Re: Separating Into Tracks or Scenes
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Others will probably post on this topic. What version of Premiere Elements are you using? Assuming Premiere Elements 7.....

So, I will just add some comments based on what could be one approach.

From what I have read, your JVC Everio 330 digital camera is recording MPEG2 (640 x 480) to the camera's hard drive. Assuming that there are no file extensions problems with the video, I would import the video into Premiere Elements from the saved computer hard drive location, using Premiere Elements Get Media/Files & Folders (Project Preset in New Project Dialog = NTSC DV Standard). Then in the program's Preview Window use the InOut points to trim the video. You can also save as "subclips" to make a trim a part of the project's media.

I never did try the following, but you could look into bringing the video to the Project View Media, right clicking the file there, and selecting Scene Detect. The intent here is to have this feature split the video into scenes based on content. The process may be time consuming and I am not sure how clean a job it would do in spliting the scenes as you want them.

Just some thoughts.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Separating Into Tracks or Scenes
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Your solution also depends on how you got the video into your computer and which version of the program you're using.

But try right-clicking on the clip in the Project media panel and selecting the option to Break Scenes.

This doesn't actually break the file into individual MPEG files -- but it does divide the clip up according to scenes.

Everios, for some reason, pose many unique challenges for video editing programs in general. Hope this works for you.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Separating Into Tracks or Scenes
              jeighty8 Level 1

".....from the saved computer hard drive location."   I'm not sure what you

mean by this.  Do I copy the file from the camera to local disc (C:) on my

computer and then transfer it to Premiere Elements 7?  What kind of file

should be created (mpeg?)

• 4. Re: Separating Into Tracks or Scenes
                jeighty8 Level 1

".....from the saved computer hard drive location."   I'm not sure what you

mean by this.  Do I copy the file from the camera to local disc (C:) on my

computer and then transfer it to Premiere Elements 7?  What kind of file

should be created (mpeg?)

• 5. Re: Separating Into Tracks or Scenes
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Yes. Copy the video from your camcorder's hard drive to your computer's hard drive. What is the file extension of the video that you copied....mod or mpg or something else. If it is mod, then try changing the file extension to .mpg or .avi where you have the file saved to your computer hard drive and before you bring the file into Premiere Elements 7.

Yes. Use Premiere Elements 7 Get Media/Files & Folders to bring the video from your computer hard drive to Premiere Elements 7 Media/Timeline.

Since you are recording your video to a camcorder hard drive, use the Premiere Elements 7 project preset (New Project dialog) = NTSC Hard Drive Camcorder and Flash.... That should take care of Fields issues.

That is what works for me. Please let us know if it works for you.

ATR