5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2009 9:20 AM by MadManChan2000

I can't open most files from DNG Converter 5.5b (Olympus E-P1)

David Charlec Level 1

I have a bunch of E-P1 photos taken in RAW (.ORF files) and was waiting eagerly for support by ACR. I tried the DNG Converter 5.5b today and converted all my images to DNG.

When I tried to import the DNGs in iPhoto, it imported only 32 files out of 800.

These 32 images also have a proper icon (with the preview of the photo).

I can't open the others with either iPhoto, QuickLook or Preview.app

All DNGs were opened successfully with Photoshop CS4 or Lightroom once I updated ACR to 5.5b

It seems that, for some reason, Apple apps can't open this "new breed" of DNG files.

Does anybody have the same problem ?

• 1. Re: I can't open most files from DNG Converter 5.5b (Olympus E-P1)
          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

And ... Err, what happens you try to open the rest in CR 5.5 in CS4? Can you

provide an example of a .ORF file that fails to load? You can use

YouSendIt.com with a target email of madmanchan2000@yahoo.com.

Eric

I have a bunch of E-P1 photos taken in RAW (.ORF files) and was waiting

eagerly for support by ACR. I tried the 5.5 version today and was only able to

import 32 files out of 800. The few images that worked have a proper icon with

the preview of the photo (Mac OS X).

I can't open the others with iPhoto, QuickLook, Photoshop CS4 or Preview.app

• 2. Re: I can't open most files from DNG Converter 5.5b (Olympus E-P1)
            David Charlec Level 1

Sorry, I updated my original post because I realized I wasn't making much sense !

The DNG Converter did convert all my files to .DNG

I can open all of them in Photoshop CS4 (or Lightroom).

But I can only open a few of them with Preview.app, iPhoto.app or QuickLook on Mac OSX.

I found out that the one I am not able to open are the photos taken with the kit lens (Olympus 14-42mm).

The ones I shot with my Voigtlander 35mm 1.4 ( + adapter) were imported successfully in iPhoto.

I have attached screenshots from the icons and file properties of 2 files : one that works and one that doesn't. (you can actually see the picture instead of the icon for the one that works)

• 3. Re: I can't open most files from DNG Converter 5.5b (Olympus E-P1)

David, I'm afraid you will probably have to follow up with Apple on this

one. (If I'm understanding your post correctly, you have no trouble using

Adobe software to process the E-P1 files.)

Eric

Sorry, I updated my original post because I realized I wasn't making much

sense !

The DNG Converter did convert all my files to .DNG

I can open all of them in Photoshop CS4 (or Lightroom).

But I can only open a few of them with Preview.app, iPhoto.app or QuickLook on

Mac OSX.

I found out that the one I am not able to open are the photos taken with the

kit lens (Olympus 14-42mm).

The ones I shot with my Voigtlander 35mm 1.4 ( + adapter) were imported

successfully in iPhoto.

• 4. Re: I can't open most files from DNG Converter 5.5b (Olympus E-P1)
                David Charlec Level 1

That's what I feared you would say !

Isn't it weird though that a "universal" file format like DNG does (or does not) work in some situations because of the lens I use !

I'll try to get some help from Apple... Thank you for your help.

• 5. Re: I can't open most files from DNG Converter 5.5b (Olympus E-P1)

David, the file format itself is not enough. You also need software to be

able to read the file format. As an example, TIFF has been around for years

(much longer than DNG) but there are still many software programs that read

some valid TIFFs, but not all valid TIFFs -- e.g., they only read

uncompressed TIFFs, and they fail to read compressed TIFFs.

Eric

That's what I feared you would say !

Isn't it weird though that a "universal" file format like DNG does (or does

not) work in some situations because of the lens I use

I'll try to get some help from Apple... Thank you for your help.