7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2009 7:21 AM by Ann Bens

Media encoder dealy

kirm99 Level 1

Using PPro as part of CS4 Production Suite on a Win XP Pro.

everytime I use the media encoder, it takes between 45 and 55 minutes before it actually starts to encode. during that time there isn't any computer activity - according to the project manager.

any idea what's happening? or how I can correct this situation?

I tried some of the suggestions I found - rendering the timeline first, rendering the audio, selecting and loading the project from inside AME (this didn't work at all)

thanks

• 1. Re: Media encoder dealy
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Based on the details you supplied and

any idea what's happening? or how I can correct this situation?

the only answer is it could be anything. By proper investigation.

Start reading here, including the included links: Some suggestions

• 2. Re: Media encoder dealy
            kirm99 Level 1

Again, great response,  Harm.

What I'm actually asking is "Has anyone else out there encountered this same situation and what did you do to correct it"

I'm not specifically asking YOU (Harm) to figure out what the problem is ...

• 3. Re: Media encoder dealy
              Harm Millaard Level 7

I haven't encountered anything like it.  Causes could be sequence settings/source material and export settings, drive congestion, insufficient or fragmented disk space, indexing still on, background processes, lack of memory, in short a whole lot of issues and without proper details no one can give you a hint of where to look at, unless others have experienced exactly this issue and figured out a solution to the problem.

• 4. Re: Media encoder dealy
                kirm99 Level 1

Again, I'm not looking for a response from someone who hasn't experienced this problem. Obviously it could be caused by any number of factors. That's why I'm asking - to find out what others (with this problem) have found to be successful solutions.

• 5. Re: Media encoder dealy
                  Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is your project very large?

AME has to load the whole project before it can encode.

Solution is to chop up your project in small projects.

I was working on a project that involved 6 hours of HDV, took for ages.

So i chopped it up in 3 parts and now it works quite well

• 6. Re: Media encoder dealy
                    kirm99 Level 1

Yes, this is a big project....

You chopped your project into sections - and encoded each separately? Then you just laid them back to back on the DVD? Was there any pause as the player went from one section to the next?

I don't mind waiting the 45 minutes if that's what's needed - but it looks like there isn't any activity at all going on during the pause...

thanks for your tip.

• 7. Re: Media encoder dealy
                      Ann Bens Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In Encore you can place all your encoded files in one sequence, this way their will be no pause.