23 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2009 6:53 AM by Mark_J_Cornwell

Unable in install ACR 5.5?

benherrmann

I have a Windows Vista 64 Bit system.  I have now downloaded the ACR 5.5 Beta Zip file at least a dozen times.  Each and every time I unzip it, when it gets to the end of the unzip, I get a window telling me that there are 4 files that could not be opened....errors.  So I tried several different unzip programs - all to no avail - the same message.  So then I tried double clicking on the unzipped setup exe icon, but all I get is a window that says that Adobe ACR 5.5 was unable to install, and I have to hit the "quit" button.

What gives?  I've successfully been able to install previous versions with no problems.  The DNG converter installed just right.

Is the downloaded for ACR 5.5 corrupt?  I'm currently only running Elements 7.0 on my system because I could not get CS-4 to load at all on my system (a known issue), so until CS-5 comes out, I'm stuck using Elements 7.0.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated - or perhaps a link to another site where I may be able to download a non-corrupt file.

Thanks...

Ben Herrmann

• 1. Re: Unable in install ACR 5.5?
          MadManChan2000 Adobe Employee

Yes I am guessing your download is corrupt. Please try a different browser

or a different machine for the download.

I have a Windows Vista 64 Bit system.  I have now downloaded the ACR 5.5 Beta

Zip file at least a dozen times.  Each and every time I unzip it, when it gets

to the end of the unzip, I get a window telling me that there are 4 files had

errors unzipping.  So I tried several different unzip programs - all to no

avail.  So then I tried double clicking on the install program, but all I get

is a window that says that Adobe ACR 5.5 was unable to install, and I have to

hit the "quit" button.

What gives?  I've successfully been able to install previous versions with no

problems.  The DNG converter installed just right.

Is the downloaded for ACR 5.5 corrupt?  I'm currently only running Elements

7.0 on my system because I could not get CS-4 to load at all on my system (a

known issue), so until CS-5 comes out, I'm stuck using Elements 7.0.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated - or perhaps a link to another site

where I may be able to download a non-corrupt file.

• 2. Re: Unable in install ACR 5.5?
            benherrmann Level 1

Just tried several different browsers - IE 8, Safari, Firefox 3.5, and also Flock.  They all tell me that there are corrupt zip headers.  So something is wrong.  I even turned off my firewall and anti-virus programs for the download?

Helpppppp...

Ben

• 3. I tried 4 different browsers to do the download - all to no avail.
              benherrmann Level 1

I tried IE 8, Firefox 3.5.2, Safari, and Flock - all to no avail.  In each instance, I get some type of message indicating that the zip headers were bad.  I'm wondering if the download is corrupt.  I even tried turning off my firewall and anti-virus temporarily during the download - still no luck.

Helpppppp...

Ben

• 4. Re: Unable in install ACR 5.5?

Ben, I just tried to download this zip file:

http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/cameraraw/cameraraw5-5_rc_081909.zip

from this site:

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Camera_Raw_5.5

And found that I could unzip it completely and successfully.

I assume this is the same zip file you tried to download? If so, I'm afraid

there is likely some connection or system issue on your end ...

Eric

I tried IE 8, Firefox 3.5.2, Safari, and Flock - all to no avail.  In each

instance, I get some type of message indicating that the zip headers were

bad.  I'm wondering if the download is corrupt.  I even tried turning off my

firewall and anti-virus temporarily during the download - still no luck.

• 5. Re: Could it be that I don't have Photoshop CS-4 installed, but...
                  benherrmann Level 1

rather all I have installed right now is Elements 7.0?  And why can't they just provide a zipped copy of the plug-in itself, rather than some elaborate install program?

As I mentioned, on my Vista 64 Bit system, CS-4 will not load (won't even install - just hangs after the window comes up showing "system check").  I've talked with Adobe about this - rather than some reps located in India (sigh).  They couldn't help the problem, but Adobe is aware of this - so I never installed CS-4 on my PC.

But Elements and Lightroom loaded perfectly and I've been able to load previous ACR updates to Elements, so I don't know why 5.5 Beta won't install.

Again, can anybody just give me a link, or send me the Beta plug-in by itself - that is all I needed.  The DNG converter installed perfectly by the way.

To clarify, the Zip file downloads just fine - and I've tried several different zip programs to unzip it.  But when you click on the setup.exe file, a window that comes up indicating that it cannot be installed and I have to hit "close."

Again, I have no clue what this problem may be as previous ACR versions installed perfectly.  I'm running a Quad-core system with 12 Gigs of RAM, 64 Bit architecture - a very clean machine with virtually no problems anywhere else - other than not being able to load CS-4...and now this ACR 5.5 beta update.  Frustrating really...just frustrating.

• 6. Re: Could it be that I don't have Photoshop CS-4 installed, but...
                    Rich 2

I have installed ACR 5.5 from the downloaded file (CS4, Win XP SP3 32 bit) and it looks fine in PS CS 4, but...

PS reports ACR 5.5, and pops up the RC nag screen when loading a RAW file. However LR2 still reports 4.5...

I have checked the install drives and there is only one copy of Camera Raw.8bi in the CS4 directory and nothing pointing to a copy elsewhere...

Do I assume the file still contains a 5.4 "header" that LR is picking up? (LR 2 "system info" reports virtually nothing compared to what it doee in PS 4)

Richard

• 7. Re: Could it be that I don't have Photoshop CS-4 installed, but...
                      JimHess-5IFZWq Level 3

Updating your Camera Raw will have no impact whatsoever on anything in Lightroom because Lightroom doesn't use the Camera Raw plug-in.  The only time things will change in what Lightroom reports is when there is an update to Lightroom.  Don't confuse yourself by trying to associate Camera Raw with Lightroom.

• 8. Okay, maybe I'm not being clear enough...
                        benherrmann Level 1

I know that ACR has nothing to do with Lightroom and never alluded to that.  What I'm saying is that this ACR 5.5 Beta release apparently is only designed to install for CS-4 - which is a disappointment.  In the past ACR releases also worked in Elements 7.0 - this is what I'm getting at.  It apparently will not install for Elements 7.0 users - that's my disappointment.

But I never ever indicated that I expected it to be associated with Lightroom.  I realize that you have to have an update to Lightroom for that to work - that's why I was hoping somebody could go into their CS plug-in's folder and perhaps send me the 5.5 RC plug-in alone - so I could put it in my Elements 7.0 plug-in folder.

• 9. Re: Okay, maybe I'm not being clear enough...
                          JimHess-5IFZWq Level 3

benherrmann wrote:

I know that ACR has nothing to do with Lightroom and never alluded to that.  What I'm saying is that this ACR 5.5 Beta release apparently is only designed to install for CS-4 - which is a disappointment.  In the past ACR releases also worked in Elements 7.0 - this is what I'm getting at.  It apparently will not install for Elements 7.0 users - that's my disappointment.

But I never ever indicated that I expected it to be associated with Lightroom.  I realize that you have to have an update to Lightroom for that to work - that's why I was hoping somebody could go into their CS plug-in's folder and perhaps send me the 5.5 RC plug-in alone - so I could put it in my Elements 7.0 plug-in folder.

Okay, then why did you make the following comment in your last post?:

PS reports ACR 5.5, and pops up the RC nag screen when loading a RAW file. However LR2 still reports 4.5..

What did you expect Lightroom to report?  Lightroom is not aware of the Camera Raw plug-in, doesn't use it.  So why would Lightroom report anything different just because you upgraded Camera Raw?

• 10. Re: Okay, maybe I'm not being clear enough...
                            Rich 2 Level 1

That was my post, not the original posters.

I didn't make it clear that I was going off at an angle.

I reported the same "unziping" problem and a workaround for CS4 users.

As for LR, I've not "dug into it before" so was not aware that it uses a "self-contained" version of the RAW decoder.

My understanding is that the LR/PS results are compatible, thus assumed that LR would use the same ACR engine, and added enhancements. I guess that's why its a freestanding module, rather than ACR plus an "add-on". We await the updated  version of LR....

Richard

• 11. Re: Okay, maybe I'm not being clear enough...
                              JimHess-5IFZWq Level 3

Richard,

My apologies, then.  I guess I had better pay closer attention to who is writing.  Lightroom and ACR share the same technology pipeline (as many of the "experts" have indicated) but the Camera Raw plug-in is for Photoshop and Photoshop Elements only.  That technology is part of the "basic" (not the best choice of words, I know) Lightroom program.  No plug-in is required.

• 12. Re: Unable in install ACR 5.5?
                                scubie

Hi,

I am having the same, or similar problem, When attempting to download DNG converter it is being put in quarantine by my anti virus checker, saying  the file contains a trojan.  "variant of Win32/trojanDownloader.Swizzor.NBUtrojan".

Any advice would be welcome.

Doug

• 13. Re: Unable in install ACR 5.5? > DNG Converter
                                  Rich 2 Level 1

Given the source (trusted) it's probably a "false positive". I use F-Secure, no warning.

I assume you can "release" it from quarantine (depends on your software), and thus continue to process it.

I had no trouble with it (except Adobe plants it in C:/Program files/... with no options, I just move it to where I want it.....)

Richard

• 14. Re: Okay, maybe I'm not being clear enough...
                                    athegn Level 2

"... In the past ACR releases also worked in Elements 7.0 - this is what I'm getting at..."

I think that the Release Candidate for ACR 5.4 would not install in Elements; we had to wait for the final version. I guess this will be the same for ACR 5.5?

• 15. Re: Unable in install ACR 5.5?

Yes, you are quite right.

"... In the past ACR releases also worked in Elements 7.0 - this is what I'm

getting at..."

I think that the Release Candidate for ACR 5.4 would not install in Elements;

we had to wait for the final version. I guess this will be the same for ACR

5.5?

• 16. Re: Unable in install ACR 5.5?
                                        Damona-Art

How can I get Camera RAW 5.5 for my new Nikon D3000? I have a 32 bit system........can't find it and the 64 bit doesn't work!!

I'm completely stressed about it pfff...

D.

• 17. Re: Unable in install ACR 5.5?
                                          benherrmann Level 1

Well, ACR 5.5 will not load on Photop Elements - that's because it's in the Beta Stage.  Once they release the full ACR 5.5 release (not Beta), then it will load properly on all types of programs and machines.  I too was miffed to the max when I found this out - but it's the nature of the beast with Beta copies.

Best Regards....

Ben

“It does not take a majority to prevail… but rather an irate, tireless minority,

keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.”

.........Samuel Adams

• 18. Re: Unable in install ACR 5.5?
                                            Rich 2 Level 1

AFAIK, CR 5.5 is still "release candidate" status.

Works in CS4 only at this time, not in Elements.

Assuming you have CS4, go to the Support page at

http://labs.adobe.com/wiki/index.php/Camera_Raw_5.5

For the file, downl;oad/install instructions, notes etc.

Richard

• 19. Re: Unable in install ACR 5.5?

Correct, CR 5.5 is still in "Release Candidate" status. The final version should be available soon. Stay tuned.

Eric

• 20. Re: Unable in install ACR 5.5?
                                                Damona-Art Level 1

OK thanks for the info all :-)

But I don't have the CS4...................didn't know what ACR 5.5 was before. I thought that was the new Camera Raw for my elements 7.0

D.

• 21. Re: Unable in install ACR 5.5?
                                                  Mark_J_Cornwell

I'll post on here as my install is similarly troublesome on Vista 64bit.

I am using Lightroom and CS4.

Lightroom said an upgrade to 2.5 was available and I installed it.

When I then went to open a Canon CR2 RAW file from Lightroom, Lightroom said that the Camera RAW needed to be updated in Photoshop.

From Photoshop I went to check for updates, it found 5.5 RAW and started to install (on Vista 64bit Business Edition). It warned about PS and Bridge being open so I closed them. Install failed.

"Photoshop Camera Raw (64 bit) 5.5, Photoshop Camera Raw 5.5: Failed to install" it then said "Installation incomplete" and "The updating process is finished".

I tried it again after a re-boot and hit the same problem (on an aside, probably just a typo but you never know... it said it was updating 5.4 at one point and 5.5 at another point in the same automated update)

Instead I went to the website, downloaded 5.5 and unzipped the folder.

The readme (http://www.adobe.com/special/photoshop/camera_raw/Camera_Raw_5.5_ReadMe.pdf) tells one to copy Camera Raw.8bi into a particular spot but that file does not exist in the zip. Instead there is a setup.exe and a DLL and two subdirectories of resources and extensions (neither of which has the Camera Raw.8bi file inside)

Camera_Raw_5_5_updater\InstallerResults.dll
                                                  Camera_Raw_5_5_updater\Setup.exe
                                                  Camera_Raw_5_5_updater\extensions
                                                  Camera_Raw_5_5_updater\resources

In vain I tried to run the setup.exe which tried to install 5.5 and then failed in a similar way to the automated system.

Best I can see the 5.5 update is broken for Vista 64bit for either an automated or manual install unless someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

• 23. Re: Unable in install ACR 5.5?
                                                    Mark_J_Cornwell Level 1

Thank you. That sorted me out.

The file I had previously found and downloaded was this one http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4578 which is "Camera_Raw_5_5_updater.zip" and describes itself as

Camera Raw 5.5 update

This new version of the Camera Raw plug-in replaces the original Camera Raw  plug-in that was installed with Adobe® Creative Suite® 4 or Adobe® Photoshop®  CS4 software.

Which sounds like what I needed but was 82.8MB compared to the 45MB version that you just pointed me at.

Your one contained the required files and installed AOK. Thank you, again.