4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2009 7:51 PM by Andrew Yoole

Preset Composition Settings in AE vs. Pr Pro & Saving as QT movie

Cris is Bliss Level 1

Hello,

I'm on a Mac using CS4

I use Premiere Pro and in it there are many specific project presets.   I use the XDCAM presets for my XDCAM EX1 footage.

In the AE Composition Presets there is not an XDCAM preset like in Pr Pro.

I think I'm about to answer my own question.

I guess I would copy the Pr Pro Preset values and create a custom preset in AE for the XDCAM EX clips.

Is it best to create a composition the exact size of clips or should I make the compostion width and height a little smaller, (and reduce the clip scale if necessary),  just in case I want to Pan the image around.  Also if I did make the composition size smaller how would that affect using an AE comp in Pr Pro?

Last thing, when render out of AE to use in Pr Pro I read it was best to choose Animation as the preset for maximum color, and make it a Quick time movie, if I have more editing or effects to apply in Pr Pro, not H. 264, it that correct.

thank you

Cris

• 1. Re: Preset Composition Settings in AE vs. Pr Pro & Saving as QT movie
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Cris:

The reason why there isn't a specific XDCAM preset in AE is, because unlike editing applications, After Effects doesn't use a particular codec for video processing. AE always processes internally everything in an uncompressed space. So, if you leave the specific codec out of the equation, the XDCAM format falls within the standard HDTV presets, depending on which frame size (720 vs 1080) and frame rate you're using.

H264 is a delivery/distribution codec. It's not really meant to be used as an exchange format between applications. Quicktime Animation is very nice, as are  a few others.

• 2. Re: Preset Composition Settings in AE vs. Pr Pro & Saving as QT movie
            Cris is Bliss Level 1

Thank you for that clarification Adolfo.

You mention that QuickTime Animation is nice as well as a few others.

What would those others be and why would I choose one over the other.

• 3. Re: Preset Composition Settings in AE vs. Pr Pro & Saving as QT movie
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> You mention that QuickTime Animation is nice as well as a few others.

What would those others be and why would I choose one over the other.

For just 8-bpc (8 bits per channel), I like Animation and PNG codecs in a QuickTime container as lossless interchange formats. The PNG codec is better for photorealistic images---like most video---whereas Animation is better at compressing large areas of the same color, like in a cartoon. (Hence the name, 'Animation'.)

I just encoded a movie using both of these lossless codecs, just for comparison. The QuickTime file that contains the movie encoded with the PNG codec is half the size of the QuickTime file that contains the movie encoded with the Animation codec. And the F4V file is less than a tenth the size of either of them---though the compression makes for some image quality loss compared with the lossless codecs.

BTW, here's what I was encoding: the After Effects 1.1 demo reel from 1993.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Preset Composition Settings in AE vs. Pr Pro & Saving as QT movie
                Andrew Yoole MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Todd, that old Reel is awesome!!

Some other Quicktime codecs for consideration (since you're on a Mac):

Apple Uncompressed 10 bit - when quality is utmost and you have plenty of drive space & speed

Apple ProRes HQ - for near-lossless quality but smaller file sizes.

1 person found this helpful