15 Replies Latest reply on Apr 9, 2016 5:45 PM by simonic

Custom project settings in Elements

BedtymeBear Level 2

I have used Premiere Pro, so I know you can create projects that have custom frame sizes.

I did, however, notice the lack of this ability in Elements.

So, I looked into it a bit more.

What I discovered is that project preset files (.prpreset) are XML, stored as plain-text.

So, I created a copy of an existing project preset file from Elements, and changed some of the numbers, and now I have the custom settings I was looking for: 640x480 with square pixels. I did this all with Premiere Elements 4, but the same project preset file worked without issue with a trial of version 7.

In case you are interested, here's how I did it:

1. Copy one of the project preset files. (I used the "Standard 48kHz.prpreset" one, which I found in the Settings\en_US\NTSC folder in the Premiere Elements program folder.)
      2. Open that project preset file in Notepad.
      3. Search for "<FrameSize>" (without the quotation marks).
      4. I found 3 instances of the "<FrameSize>" tag. For each instance you find, change the dimensions to match the appropriate size. (For the settings I wanted, I changed the <FrameSize> tag to "<FrameSize>0,0,640,480</FrameSize>" again without the quotes.)
      5. Search for "<PixelAspectRatio>" (without the quotation marks).
      6. Again, I found 3 of these. For each instance, change the dimensions to proportionally match your desired pixel aspect ratio. (Since I wanted square pixels, I changed both values to be the same, so "<PixelAspectRatio>640,640</PixelAspectRatio>" again without the quotes.)
      7. Save the file.
      8. Make sure the file has a different name than the original .prpreset, and then save it into the same folder (Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0\Settings\en_US\NTSC).

Then, create a new project, select the preset you made, and voila!

Just passing along this info. Hopefully someone benefits from it.

• 1. Re: Custom project settings in Elements
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Nice tip. Maybe Steve can move this post to the Tips & Tricks sub-forum, so it doesn't "fall off the page" with more posts.

There have been a couple of "packages" of new Presets out there. Paul_LS has posted links to some of these. Your instructions will allow people to talior to their particular needs.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Custom project settings in Elements
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This is a great tip, Bear! And I'll gladly move it to our Tips and Tricks area, as long as you've test driven it and seen that a project created these specs actually works. Premiere Elements really doesn't tolerate a lot of variance with regards to project settings!

• 3. Re: Custom project settings in Elements
              BedtymeBear Level 2

Steve Grisetti wrote:

This is a great tip, Bear! And I'll gladly move it to our Tips and Tricks area, as long as you've test driven it and seen that a project created these specs actually works. Premiere Elements really doesn't tolerate a lot of variance with regards to project settings!

Well, it's not a problem. I just came across a situation where taking a quick second to test something out proved worth the time for me.

It does seem to work well, as long as you don't mess with anything else in the project file, and most importantly probably, you have to use a plain-text editor, like Notepad. You can't use a rich-text editor, like Word, because formatting information will most likely be added to the file, thereby breaking the strict XML structure in the project file.

• 4. Re: Custom project settings in Elements
                uberthin Level 1

Where are these prpreset files in Elements 8.0?  I don't see them anywhere.

My main project source file is from an older Sony Cybershot, which creates video in 640x480, 25 FPS.  I want my project to match that, and none of the available presets do.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: Custom project settings in Elements
                  Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You can not create project presets to those specs in Premiere Elements, uber. You should use standard DV settings. And you should also convert your video to DV-AVIs before you bring it into Premiere Elements, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

Which converter you use depends on whether your video is AVI or MOV.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

• 6. Re: Custom project settings in Elements
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

BedtymeBear or SG or whomever would like to respond, if BedtymeBear is no longer active in this forum....

I am a little late posting a November 2009 question to your March 2008 description of how you created "Custom Project Settings" in Premiere Elements 7 for 640 x 480 square pixels. You give the details and say that works for the goal. But, I wonder.

If I follow your details exactly, I do end up with an entry in the new project dialog for the desired preset, namely 640 x 480, pixel aspect ratio = square (1.0), et al. It looks like I would expect and hope for. However, when I open to the Premiere Elements 7 workspace and go Edit Menu/Project Settings, I find glitches in the perfect plan, namely

(a) although there the width is 640 and the height 480, the Display Aspect Ratio (DAR) is 6:5, not 4:3. (I believe this DAR is supposed to direct the player on playback).

(b) the pixel aspect ratio spot there shows a grayed out D1/DV NTSC (0.9), no signs of the square pixel that was part of the description for the custom project preset in the new project dialog.

Contrary to what others may tell you, you can do the same thing in Premiere Elements 8 with the same results for the entry in the new project dialog. But, when I get to the level of the project settings in the program, I see 97/80, not 6:5 or 4:3 for what I am calling DAR...one of the glitches in the new project setting in the program.

I realize that the export settings will direct the properties of the export.  Are you saying that you saw this in developing the procedure, left it as is, and proceeded to "it worked"?

ATR

• 7. Re: Custom project settings in Elements
                      BedtymeBear Level 2

A.T. Romano wrote:

(a) although there the width is 640 and the height 480, the Display Aspect Ratio (DAR) is 6:5, not 4:3. (I believe this DAR is supposed to direct the player on playback).

(b) the pixel aspect ratio spot there shows a grayed out D1/DV NTSC (0.9), no signs of the square pixel that was part of the description for the custom project preset in the new project dialog.

Thanks for the feedback on this.

I originally wrote these instructions for Premiere Elements 4, so I was using version 4 projects as the source. I did limited testing in Pre El 7, but it was working as I expected back when I did that testing in August.

I don't use Pre El 4 anymore (using 7) so I'm not sure what specifically was different about the version 4 projects that made them work properly.

After a bit of testing, I do know that Premiere Elements 7 seems to be a stickler about the Editing Modes, though. And this is what causes the problem that you have discovered. (I don't have version 8 around to test, but if you have the same problem in 7 and 8, then I'm guessing that it's the same cause for both.)

Basically, you have two options when modifying the existing project files so that it'll work as expected:

1. Start with one of the project presets that doesn't use the DV (0.9) PAR, such as one of the HDV presets.
                      2. After modifying the Standard 48kHz preset, change the <EditingModeID> tag in the modified project to be that of a project preset that doesn't use the DV (0.9) PAR, such as the one for the HDV 720p 30 preset:

<EditingModeID>c7198254-00c4-446d-beb0-2f506eabc549</EditingModeID>

To recap, here are the modified instructions, with the changes for Pre El 7 in bold:

1. Copy one of the project preset files. (I used the "Standard 48kHz.prpreset" one, which I found in the Settings\en_US\NTSC folder in the Premiere Elements program folder.)
                      2. Open that project preset file in Notepad.
                      3. Search for "<FrameSize>" (without the quotation marks).
                      4. I found 3 instances of the "<FrameSize>" tag. For each instance you find, change the dimensions to match the appropriate size. (For the settings I wanted, I changed the <FrameSize> tag to "<FrameSize>0,0,640,480</FrameSize>" again without the quotes.)
                      5. Search for "<PixelAspectRatio>" (without the quotation marks).
                      6. Again, I found 3 of these. For each instance, change the dimensions to proportionally match your desired pixel aspect ratio. (Since I wanted square pixels, I changed both values to be the same, so "<PixelAspectRatio>640,640</PixelAspectRatio>" again without the quotes.)
                      7. Search for "<EditingModeID>" (without the quotation marks).
                      8. Change the ID to an editing mode that matches your desired Pixel Aspect Ratio. That is, if you want square pixels, then you can't use the ID for DV NTSC, which is 0f3c7317-cf5d-44e8-8b19-1bc6d7b05ce6, because the PAR would be 0.9. (I used the ID for the HDV 720p 30 preset, since I know that it uses square pixels. So my tag said "<EditingModeID>c7198254-00c4-446d-beb0-2f506eabc549</EditingModeID>" again without the quotes.)
                      9. Save the file.
                      10. Make sure the file has a different name than the original .prpreset, and then save it into the same folder

I also wanted to restate that you can make custom project presets (called "sequence presets" in the latest versions) directly in Premiere Pro by picking the "Desktop" Editing Mode. The project presets, of course, are designed to work in Premiere Pro, not in Elements, though. It's a far more flexible program, so if you need to uses lots of custom project sizes and such it will save you the headache of trying to use the instructions above.

• 8. Re: Custom project settings in Elements
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

BedtvmeBear

Thank you for looking at my questions on those custom project settings in Premiere Elements.

I have Premiere Elements 4, 7, and 8 installed. I will give them all another look with your modified procedures and see if that overcomes the PAR issues/concerns that evolved for me in the project settings when attempting to follow your 2008 details and apply them to versions 7 and 8 (I did not try version 4 yet).

Creating a new project preset (new project dialog) is easy if all you want to do is have a project preset that offers a 7 track arrangement instead of 3. But when it comes to anything else it becomes tricky without expert knowledge of how to read and manage the Notepad document for the project preset.

My major objective right now is to see if I can come up with a version 4, 7, and 8 project preset (new project dialog) for 640 x 480 30 frames/second with a PAR square (1.0) and DAR 1.333 (4:3) and SAR 1.333 (4:3). I will report back after another look at this.

But, I will ask you this. Do you recall in Premiere Elements 4, exactly what you saw in the project settings area (Edit Menu/Project Settings) for PAR and any other aspect ratio information when you were creating this preset for 640 x 480 PAR 1.0? And, when you say it worked, was that based on the dimensions set in the export dialog export and the quality of that export rather than any other supportive information?

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: Custom project settings in Elements
                          BedtymeBear Level 2

A.T. Romano wrote:

But, I will ask you this. Do you recall in Premiere Elements 4, exactly what you saw in the project settings area (Edit Menu/Project Settings) for PAR and any other aspect ratio information when you were creating this preset for 640 x 480 PAR 1.0? And, when you say it worked, was that based on the dimensions set in the export dialog export and the quality of that export rather than any other supportive information?

When viewing the Project Settings of a project created with this custom preset in Premiere Elements 4, the frame aspect ratio showed 4:3, and the PAR showed as 1.0. I don't recall for certain how the Editing Mode displayed, but I suspect that it said DV NTSC.

I also was able to import a video I had created that was 640x480 (square pixels), and it filled the frame without being stretched/skewed.

I'm sure I did some exporting of these projects, but I did not use any exported video to determine if the custom project settings "worked" per se.

Hope things work out for you on this.

• 10. Re: Custom project settings in Elements
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

BedtvmeBear

Thanks for the follow up. I did a quick look at Premiere Elements 4 for this new project preset as per the details that you posted back in 2008. I obtained the same results that I obtained with Premiere Elements 7, namely, project preset (new project dialog) sets looked OK, but it was those project setting in Edit Menu/Project Settings DAR that is not appearing as 4:3 but rather 6:5. When I brought actual 640 x 480 square pixel video to the Premiere Elements 4 Timeline using this new project preset, everything looked OK, but Rendering the Timeline by pressing the Enter Key for a better preview was a no no. That resulted in black video.

I need to work on this, reading over your past and present how to details and doing some more exploration and experimentation.

I will report back only after I have it all together.

Thanks for the help.

ATR

• 11. Re: Custom project settings in Elements
                              ckryanco

Has anyone tried this with Elements 11? Thanks!

• 12. Re: Custom project settings in Elements
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

ckryanco

I had lost track of this thread over the years since 2009. But, focusing on your 2013 question...

Do you presently have Premiere Elements 11 Windows? If so, instead of thinking back to 2009 and Premiere Elements 7, why not consider that Premiere Elements 11 has a project preset catagory  DSLR/480p/DSLR 640 x 480p60 (NTSC) and DLSR/480p/DLSR 640 x 480p50 (PAL). Unless you are doing frame to frame editing of your 640 x 480 @  other than 60 or 50 progressive frames per second, that project preset should meet your needs to attain the appropriate space (template) in the Edit Mode Monitor for editing purposes. Then look to your export settings.

If you did want to see a 640 x 480p30 or 640 x 480p25 project preset in Premiere Elements 11, you might explore editing the Notepad document for the Premiere Elements 11 NTSC "DSLR 640 x 480p60.sqpreset" or PAL "DSLR 640 x 480p50", changing the coding for frame rate and maybe VideoTimeDisplay as well.

Please be advised that Premiere Elements 11 takes control over setting the project preset and does it automatically, essentially with flaws in the SD situations. You can set your own project preset via File Menu/New/Project, but remember to have a check mark next to the new project dialog option of "Force selected Project setting on this project".

There are other routes to what you think you want to do, but the one mentioned above seems to be the quickest one that I can think of now.

ATR

• 13. Re: Custom project settings in Elements
                                  ckryanco Level 1

ATR -- Thanks for the excellent reply.

This is for an odd-sized piece of video (400x500) generated by computer rather than camera, and intended solely for display within a web page. So the existing presets won't work -- especially since I want to perform a zoom on the video, so the dimensions matter.

I've duplicated and edited one of the DSLR presets, and it seems to work so far. I haven't rendered the zoomed video yet, but it looks promising!

• 14. Re: Custom project settings in Elements
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

ckryanco

Thanks for the follow up.

Please update us on your progress and then we can consider what next if necessary.

ATR

• 15. Re: Custom project settings in Elements
                                      simonic

Just thought I'd mention, having found this post while trying to edit 360 VR footage from the Ricoh Theta S.      This tip allows me to create a compatible 1920x960 project so I can edit the 360 VR videos created by the camera.   I haven't heard this discussed, as most talk is about using Premiere Pro and After Effects.   This is hugely useful, so thanks a lot.

Simon