6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2012 6:11 PM by ZoarF

PDF Printer unavailable?

josefina - GA

Should the PDF printer be installed with the free version of acrobat reader?

• 1. Re: PDF Printer unavailable?
          ~graffiti Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No. The PDF printer is a feature of Acrobat, not Reader.

• 2. Re: PDF Printer unavailable?
            josefina - GA Level 1

Thank you for clarifying that!  Acrobat.com is installed on my computer - is that the same thing?

• 3. Re: PDF Printer unavailable?

Acrobat.com is a number of things. One thing you can do there is create PDF files yes (I think you get so many for free then they charge) but it can also be used for file sharing, storage, online meetings...etc.

But no, it won't add a PDF printer. It's all done online.

• 4. Re: PDF Printer unavailable?
                ZoarF Level 1

Hi,

Unfortunately, not being able to have an Acrobat PDF printer as an option is a complete FAIL as far as I'm concerned. I have scripts that choose this printer and make it the default. My script then searches through an Excel specific worksheets in workbooks  and prints only those pages that contain data that matches a list.

I find that Adobe is going completely in the wrong direction by limiting everything in their software. You can't even insert pages easily in a pdf without the stupid sidebar for tools coming up even though I have selected not to show it. The people that are doing their UI design seem to have made an effort to not allow for any automation and to maximize the keystrokes that their users must now do.

• 5. Re: PDF Printer unavailable?

ZoarF.

We are discussing Adobe Reader. Reader has never had a PDF printer nor will it. It is made for viewing and printing PDF's. Not creating PDF's.

You want Acrobat which also hasn't limited anything. It still has a PDF printer like it always has.

• 6. Re: PDF Printer unavailable?
                    ZoarF Level 1

LOL. I also didn't notice how old the original post was. The full version of Acrobat no longer has a PDF printer for the Mac. This has more to do I think now with Apple, but I still stand by my comment on how awkward Acrobat (full version) is to use.