7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2009 3:44 PM by Ned Murphy

Disable hand onMouseOver

mattk_ok

how do you disable the hand for a button instance so the pointer remains? this is for AS3.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Disable hand onMouseOver
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Specify: btn.useHandCursor = false;

where "btn" is replaced with whatever instance name you give your button

• 2. Re: Disable hand onMouseOver
            mattk_ok Level 1

Thanks, Ned.

I realized what the main problem was:

I created a dead button that exists purely for an alpha change when rolled over (part of this timeline deal). I then pulled instances of the symbol from the library, until I amassed about 80 of them. I thought I'd run through and give them all the same instance name and apply that specification, but the hand cursor stays when i do that.

Will I have to go through and give each button a different instance name and then specify for each instance?

• 3. Re: Disable hand onMouseOver

Not really sure I understand, but yeah, if you have 80 different buttons with the same name, only one of them will get the golden ticket (if any).

You could take a dynamic approach to loading them and assign that code for each as they are loaded, though I don't know if you plans for placement following some scheme that you can easily mimic with positioning code (x/y values).

• 4. Re: Disable hand onMouseOver
                mattk_ok Level 1

haha, now I think you've lost me.

What I was saying is that I created a bunch of buttons that don't do anything, other than have an alpha change on the mouseover; they're just there to provide something more dynamic than static bars that sit between buttons on the timeline that take the user to new content.

But I'm not entirely sure what you mean about assigning code to the buttons as they load.

I think I'll manage by just going through and giving each button an instance and doing the code so there's no hand, except for the active buttons that change frames. Having all these buttons, albeit lame buttons, won't inflate my file size will it?

• 5. Re: Disable hand onMouseOver

Yeah, file size is dictated by the amount of content on the stage, so more stuff is more bytes.  It may not be signficant enough to worry about, though you can measure it yourself and see.

• 6. Re: Disable hand onMouseOver
                    mattk_ok Level 1

Sounds good. Thanks for all the help.

I'm guessing I'll be fine, because I've seen this effect done on flash pieces that appear to be compact, but maybe they achieved the effect through different means. Eh, I'll survive.

Thanks, again.

• 7. Re: Disable hand onMouseOver

You're welcome.