6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 20, 2009 1:09 PM by D&R Films

Edius user moving to P-Pro CS4 help...

D&R Films Level 1

Long time Edius user (since 1.0) previously used Premiere with DV Storm but left Premiere due to bugs and compatibility with Canopus hardware (and Edius was stable and seemed better at the time). Now a few years later I'm still editing on Edius (latest 5.12) but have decided to give Premiere another go as I shoot with the HMC150 in AVCHD and author in Encore anyway!

Few questions:

• Is there a way to zoom in/out of the timeline with the mouse wheel? This is big for me.
      • How to add transitions between clips without adding frames? Edius just slips the tracks to the left to cover frames. Not just add frames.
      • Can we search the bin and have it automatically put searches in their own folder then search those folders for used/unused clips and have them in new folders?

I'm sure I'll find more things, but those are the biggest ones for me right now. Other than those, I'm loving the RT preview in CS4 for AVCHD!

• 1. Re: Edius user moving to P-Pro CS4 help...
          Curt Wrigley Level 4

I used DVSTORM with Premiere 6.5 myself.  It was an awesome combination.   UNfortunately Canopus never got the drivers right for PPRO.

• Is there a way to zoom in/out of the timeline with the mouse wheel? This is big for me.

Following are the out of the box ways to zoom in on thre timeline:

• To zoom in, select the Zoom tool , and then click or drag a marquee selection around the part of the sequence you want to see in more detail. To zoom out, select the Zoom tool , and then Alt-click (Windows) or Option-click (Mac OS) an area in a Timeline panel.

• To zoom in, drag the zoom slider to the right, or click the Zoom In button . To zoom out, drag the zoom slider to the left, or click the Zoom Out button.

• To zoom in, drag the ends of the viewing area bar closer together. To zoom out, drag them farther apart.

• (Roman and Russian keyboards only) To zoom out so that the entire sequence appears in a Timeline panel, press the backslash (\) key. To zoom in to the view you had before pressing the backslash key, press the backslash key again.

I dont know if you can custom map the mouse wheel or not.  Ive grown attached to the keyboard shortcuts.

• How to add transitions between clips without adding frames? Edius just slips the tracks to the left to cover frames. Not just add frames.

PPRO does not add any frames; it uses the "handles" past the in and out points to transition over.  If there are NOT enough frames in the handles, then it warns you that it will repeat frames.  If you dont want it ot do that, make sure your clips have more handles.

• Can we search the bin and have it automatically put searches in their own folder then search those folders for used/unused clips and have them in new folders?

Not automagically.  You can use the find tool to search the root folder and it will expose all clips that match in any folder.   It would then be easy to drag those clips to a new folder.   I often sort my clips by "Video Used" field so I see which clips have not yet been used; easily.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Edius user moving to P-Pro CS4 help...
            D&R Films Level 1

Yep.. I remember you Curt. Been to your site quite a bit over the years!

While these aren't quite the answers I wanted I think I can work with it.

The "handles" bit... it does add frames if there are none correct? No way to make it slip the clip to the left instead? Oh well... still looks good if it doesn't.

• 3. Re: Edius user moving to P-Pro CS4 help...
              Colin Brougham Level 6

Yes; hold down the Alt key and scroll down to zoom in, scroll up to zoom out. Without the Alt key, you'll scroll the timeline view forward and back. Incidentally, you can use the scroll wheel to move frame by frame in the timeline by hovering over the program monitor. You don't have to make the program monitor active to do this, which is nice. Now, I just wish Adobe would add the capability to do this directly in the timeline, without having to move up to the program monitor... next time, maybe.

This was one of the best features of Edius, to my mind. Loved it. The rest of the program... meh. But that feature was dyn-o-mite.

• 4. Re: Edius user moving to P-Pro CS4 help...
                Colin Brougham Level 6

The "handles" bit... it does add frames if there are none correct? No way to make it slip the clip to the left instead? Oh well... still looks good if it doesn't.

It doesn't "add" frames per se... instead, it duplicates the last outgoing or first incoming frame (whichever is needed to complete the transition) to pad the duration of the transition. You'd have to manually slip or slide the clip if you want "live" frames.

Personally, I don't think any program should be automatically slipping or sliding clips when you add transitions--that's bad juju. What if you've got things timed out to certain audio events or action points later in your sequence? That would mess them up. Adobe's solution is a little rinky-dink, but at least it doesn't screw up your timing. Just my $0.02...

• 5. Re: Edius user moving to P-Pro CS4 help...
                  D&R Films Level 1

You can set it either way in Edius... If you are workign single track it's easier to turn add frames off.

• 6. Re: Edius user moving to P-Pro CS4 help...
                    D&R Films Level 1

"Yes; hold down the Alt key and scroll down to zoom in, scroll up to zoom out."

WHOOT! Thanks!