3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2009 7:08 AM by Printer_Rick

Adobe Color Management

cblattmann Level 1

My Color Profile is RGB: Adobe RGB (1998) and my CMYK profile is U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2. When I export an InDesign document to a PDF I do no Color Conversion and include all Profiles (under the Output section). The transparency Blend Space is set to RGB as well.

My intention is to print it on a HP Laserjet printer. From what I know the RGB color space is better suited for this kind of printer.

When I open this exported PDF document and want to print it on the my local HP Laserjet printer, I check the "Advanced..." Button (I have a Mac) and there I see the that Color Profile is "Working CMYK: U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2". And output color is Composit CMYK. If I print it this way, my colors get all screwed up. When I change the color profile to my working RGB profile, it prints just fine. I want this document to be able to be downloaded and correctly printed without  having to tell everyone that before they print id they have to click the Advacned button and change the color profile to "Adobe RGB (1998)".

Is there a way to set the default color profile used to print this PDF with the working RGB profile rather then the working CMYK profile? I do no want to to have to click on the Advance button every time. I just want it to use the RGB color profile when printed (since it not going to commercial print shop)

Thank you for help.

Caspar

• 1. Re: Adobe Color Management
          John Danek Level 4

"I see the that Color Profile is "Working CMYK: U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2". And output color is Composit CMYK. If I print it this way, my colors get all screwed up. When I change the color profile to my working RGB profile, it prints just fine."

Not that it's correct, but it seems you've answered your own question.  Leave it RGB.  Since you insist on creating an RGB file for print, by choosing CMYK Composite, the printer does it's own conversion which, in your terms, is all messed up.  Perhaps.  But, short of getting into a lengthy discussion on RIP's, color management, and CMYK color settings in your application(s), carry on.

• 2. Re: Adobe Color Management
            cblattmann Level 1

Thank you. But I would like to create a PDF with InDesign that uses the working RGB profile as the default profile (not the CMYK one) when printing to a LaserJet.

I open the PDF I created and the color profil is CMYK. This seems to me that the Adobe Acrobat assums that anything being printed uses the CMYK profile. But I have heard a number of people say and write that unless you print on a commercial printer with color separation you are better off using the RGB profile, especially in case of you local Deskjet or Laserjet printer that geared towards taking RGB and then translating these values into its own propiotary CMYK color space.

So how can make Acrobat use by default the RGB working profile included in my PDF rather than the CMYK profile? People who download the PDF who want to print the document on their local printer should not need to know anything about color spaces nor how to select the appropriate one.

Caspar

• 3. Re: Adobe Color Management
              Printer_Rick Level 4

When you print from Acrobat - are you selecting your printer in the top pull-down menu in the print dialog?

If it is an RGB printer, when you do this, the output should default to Composite RGB. If it doesn't, it must not be an RGB printer.

The answer to this may be to use the Printer Setup Utility, to reconfigure the printer there. Perhaps you have the wrong driver?