8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2009 8:35 AM by blullama

Possible Bug: Copying Frames sometimes mixes up artwork

blullama Level 1

I'm sure Adobe is sick of hearing about bugs, but.... one issue that I've noticed with Flash CS4 that was never an issue in CS3 is that when selecting the frames of a complex animation, copying them, and pasting them into another Flash file, often results in some of the artwork getting mixed up.  I can't paste screenshots or example FLA's due to legal issues, but I figured that I'd make a note of the issue.

Regards,

Tim

• 1. Re: Possible Bug: Copying Frames sometimes mixes up artwork
          jendehaan Level 4

Hi Tim,

Could you describe the artwork (what you're copying), and describe what mixed up is looking or behaving like?  If you can reproduce this in a simple file you're able to link, that would be helpful. We would need to figure out what's going on in order to fix the issue.

Thanks,

Jen.

• 2. Re: Possible Bug: Copying Frames sometimes mixes up artwork
            blullama Level 1

The file contains mixed artwork created in Illustrator.  Much of it was masked with a clipping mask in illustrator, which Flash, when importing, creates movieclips with masks.  I will look into getting permission to send you a sample file.  This is actually the second instance in which I've had this issue.  I recently downloaded the newest updates for Flash, but it still seems to be an issue.  I'll see what I can come up with.

Tim

• 3. Re: Possible Bug: Copying Frames sometimes mixes up artwork
              blullama Level 1

From what I see, several of the assets are contained in subfolders in the library with other assets in sub-subfolders and sometimes a more extensive tree.  It seems that several of the assets that were buried in subfolders or sub-subfolders wind up in the root folder of the library and end up overwriting each other.  I'll check tomorrow to see if I can give at least screen shots of the source and final result when copying artwork.  But hopefully that gives you a good idea of what is going on.  The subfolders and asset trees are automatically created by Flash when importing the illustrator artwork.

Thanks,

Tim

• 4. Re: Possible Bug: Copying Frames sometimes mixes up artwork
                Lon Winters Level 4

Still don't understand what you mean by the artwork getting mixed up - are you talking on the stage or in the library?

I'm not sure how Flash places the symbols in the target FLA, but regardless of what folders you use in the source, any symbol with the same name will try to overwrite.  Don't you get the warning message with the option to replace the symbol or not?

• 5. Re: Possible Bug: Copying Frames sometimes mixes up artwork
                  raijv.ranjan

Hi Tim.

Instead of Paste option you can try Paste in place.

May be it tackle your so called issue.

• 6. Re: Possible Bug: Copying Frames sometimes mixes up artwork
                    blullama Level 1

Thanks for your suggestion, but in this case, I'm copying and pasting frames of animation and not just artwork.  I will try and put together sample files so you can see what is going on.  Thanks for all your input and suggestions.

• 7. Re: Possible Bug: Copying Frames sometimes mixes up artwork
                      __antonio__ Level 3

Flash generally doesn't like folders too deep or, sometimes it seems, at all. Try this:

1. Duplicate your Movie clip that you want the frames to be copied/pasted from. delete the frames you do not want to come along

2. If frames are not inside of a movie clip, inside your working file copy/paste those frames into another movie clip (be aware of your registration point).

3. Copy THAT movie clip and paste into new fla.

if you are adding to an already built fla, make sure your movie clip names are not the same and getting over-written with the "Replace Symbol" dialog (this happens all the time, even to experienced Flashers).

I'm not saying this is a perfect solution, but I have seen this in the past. My general rule of thumb is to stay away from folders all together. Instead, adhere a good naming convention for all your mcs.

• 8. Re: Possible Bug: Copying Frames sometimes mixes up artwork
                        blullama Level 1

My apologies for not getting back sooner.

My client won't allow me to attach any work I've created here, but I've received permission to send screenshots of the library.  I've attached JPEG images to help illustrate what is happening.

The actual bug is new to Flash.  Flash CS3 never had issues with this.

Basically I place all assets in a folder called assets.  (except for those that are on the stage at any given time).  Those assets may have other assets buried in subfolders and sub-subfolders.  Aside from the assets folder, these assets and subfolders are created automatically by Flash when importing Illustrator artwork.

However, when copying frames over, it doesn't maintain the subfolder hierarchy and assets that happen to have the same name begin to replace each other.

My workaround involves selecting the assets in the library that I need.  Hitting ctrl-c.  And then going to the destination FLA and pasting them into the library.  Then I select the frames I need to copy and paste them into the destination fla file.

Oddly enough. when copying the library over, I have no problem with maintaining the folder hierarchy.  It's just when copying frames of animation, that I have issues with this bug.