5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2009 9:15 AM by Wizaerd

Importing mulitple images, resulting symbol names

Wizaerd

I'm having to import a whole bunch of images, and when I import them to the library, each image gets a symbol automatically generated.  However, instead of the symbol being named after the image itself, it just gets Symbol1, Symbol2, Symbol3, etc... Also, the images I'm importing are not sequences, just different/separate images I know I'm going to need to use.

Is there anyway (within CS4 BTW) when importing these images, the resulting symbols are named after the images themselves so I can more easily seperate them out as appropriate?

And is there anyway to import images into the library, but within specific folder structures created within the library?

• 1. Re: Importing mulitple images, resulting symbol names
          Wizaerd01

I'm honestly surprised nobody else here has any qualms or tips for working with the library panel.  It seems so... tedious...

1) Cannot create a new folder within a folder, all new folders are created at the root level

2) When importing to library (through File->Import to Library), cannot specify a destination folder, nor an option to create a new folder

3) When importing images (through File->Import to Library), have no control over whether new Symbols get created or not (they always get created), and no control over the naming convention for these new folders.

4) When dragging a series of Images directly to the Library panel, even if you hover over a folder, all images are placed at the root level instead of the targetted folder...

These 4 items in and of themselves making importing a bunch of assets tedious and time consuming.  It's certainly not efficient at all...

Is there are steps, tips, or techniques for making the import of assets much more efficient?

Message was edited by: Wizaerd01 ARGH!! WHy was I forced to create a new adobe account to post when I already had a working one....  argh!!!!

• 2. Re: Importing mulitple images, resulting symbol names
            thepixelsmith Level 2

what format are your image that you automatically have symbols generated. I never have that happen except with single layer psd files.

• 3. Re: Importing mulitple images, resulting symbol names
              __antonio__ Level 3

I have always found that folders are quite annoying and can lead to rather spuratic results, especially when transfering assets to another file or adding new ones. They are more trouble than they are worth. Sometimes when copy/paste or importing new bitmaps may overwrite ones even in folders, and sometimes wont overwrite the ones that i want within folders. I generally dont use folders at all because of this reason. Really, you wouldnt want to import a bitmap (or any other file) of the same name twice and use the two different files in two different instances on the stage, especially if they are the exact same image. This leads to high file size and longer load times.

Without using folders, it is good to adhere to a strict file naming convention. I use bmp_... for all my bitmaps, gfx_... for movieclips with raw bitmaps inside, mc_... for movieclips, and so on. This also helps with finding symbols within the library quickly.

Also, I usually dont import to library, I import to stage (cmd+R or cntrl+R). This will import the bitmaps but not create a new symbol for each. I prefer to create the symbol myself with F8, it may need to be a graphic, or maybe a movieclip, or maybe i just need the bitmap as raw.

• 4. Re: Importing mulitple images, resulting symbol names
                Wizaerd Level 1

Jerron, I'm using PNG images, and if importing via File -> Import to Library, then Sysmbols do get automatically created.

• 5. Re: Importing mulitple images, resulting symbol names
                  Wizaerd Level 1

antonio,

I could not imagine trying to manage assets without using folders.  Using folders for management and maintenance should be second nature, it's how our computers store it's own data.  And all the images I have in my personal galleries and libraries are stored and managed via folders.  Not using folders in the asset library just doesn't make any sense.

The images I import are in fact named all the same thng, even though they're not the same images.  I know, it's unusual, but the images I'm importing were exported out of another application, they're character sprites from a video game, and as such each pose regardless of the character are named the same things.

So my structure usually looks like this:

-- Character 1

-- -- Hero

-- -- -- Images

-- -- -- -- Walk 1

-- -- -- -- Walk 2

-- -- -- -- Walk 3

-- -- -- Symbols

-- -- -- -- Walk

-- Character 2

-- -- Villian

-- -- -- Images

-- -- -- -- Walk 1

-- -- -- -- Walk 2

-- -- -- -- Walk 3

-- -- -- Symbols

-- -- -- -- Walk

-- EFX

-- -- Fire Blast

-- -- -- Images

-- -- -- -- Blast 1

-- -- -- -- Blast 2

-- -- -- -- Blast 3

-- -- -- Symbols

-- -- -- -- Blast

-- -- Ice Blast

-- -- -- Images

-- -- -- -- Blast 1

-- -- -- -- Blast 2

-- -- -- -- Blast 3

-- -- -- Symbols

-- -- -- -- Blast

Using a structure like this means I can spend more time in doing what I enjoy, animating & story telling, and less time on the things I don't enjoy, renaming hundreds maybe even thousands of images...

Now I use Flash in purely a recreational/hobby mode, because I enjoy animating.  What I don't enjoy is renaming files, especially if there are lots of files.  I'd rather use folders to keep things separated and managed, because it makes much more sense to me.

I found that click and drag is the best way to get images imported into the library, since this method doesn't automagically create any symbols, but it will not let me drop the files into any specific folder, they always go into the root, and then I have to spend considerable time moving everything into the proper folder structures.  Seems to me, if the library allows for the creation and usage of folders, then it could be enhanced to work as expected when dealing with folders.

And finally, the last reason to use folders, sheer managibility in dealing with a large number of assets.  I can put the images into an images folder, symbols into another folder, separated by character, object, etc...  Then collapse or expand the folder structures to more easily navigate and pick the correct asset.  Much much better than one long list of mixed assets...