1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 20, 2009 7:53 PM by Jeff Schewe

Why have three installation methods for ACR ?(and that's just on Windows)

PevenseyPirate

I am sitting here patiently waiting for my Olympus PEN E-P1 ORF files to be supported.

ACR 5.5 RC has just popped up but to my frustration is only compatible with Photoshop & Bridge.

So I continue sitting patiently in front of Lightroom 2 and Elements 7 thinking this is crazy.

• Elements has a simple plug that only has to be copied to a folder and camera profiles updated
      • Lightroom 2.4 has ACR 5.4 hard coded in
      • ACR seems to have a very complex method of installation (judging from what's in the zip files)

Surely one installation route would be good for users and make regression testing easier for Eric & the team.

In the future could LR3 and Elements 8 be brought in line or am I missing something (apart from PEN support).

Ian

(PS - Despite my frustration Adobe are still miles quicker than most)

• 1. Re: Why have three installation methods for ACR ?(and that's just on Windows)
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

PevenseyPirate wrote:

In the future could LR3 and Elements 8 be brought in line or am I missing something (apart from PEN support).

As far as Lightroom goes, it has nothing directly to do with Camera Raw...doesn't use the plug-in at all. The processing pipeline is built in not modifued via plug-in.

If you are in a hurry, download the DNG Converter 5.5 and convert your files to DNG...then Lightroom 2.4 and Camera Raw 5.4 will read them.

As far as Adobe providing developmental builds, if you don't want them in advance of the actual release, you don't need to get all excited...just wait for the general release. Most people actually appreciate the fact that Adobe does this instead of complaining that the builds are not designed to work in Elements....