9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2009 7:33 PM by the_wine_snob

Translate Subtitles?

MotorcyleBoy

Hello

I need to quote for some council work and the final production needs to have subtitles in English and several different other languages. I was wondering if there was a way to have the English subs translated automatically using adobe software, and then have them in the menu setup? I have the complete CS3 range at my disposal.

thanks

• 1. Re: Translate Subtitles?
          Harm Millaard Level 7

The short answer: No.

The long answer: Adobe can not even manage a properly functioning transcribe function, let alone a translate function. Your best bet is Google Translate or a dedicated program.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Translate Subtitles?
            MotorcyleBoy Level 1

thanks for your rapid response. Looks like a lot more work than I anticipated......

I suppose google would work though....would require multiple copy and pastes..unless you're able to suggest a dedicated program I can download?

thanks again.

• 3. Re: Translate Subtitles?
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Just try Google Translate. Put your text in one field, choose the language to translate to, copy the results back to Notepad or whatever, change the language and again copy the results to Notepad.

The translations are not always very accurate, but it can save you vast amounts of time and effort.

• 4. Re: Translate Subtitles?
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                the final production needs to have subtitles in English and several different other languages.

For "real" Subtitles, or "real" Closed Captioning, you will want to use Encore to produce this. There is a Subtitles sub-forum in Encore. I would strongly recommend that you read through most of the articles in that sub-forum. The vast majority of questions are answered in the thread there. There are some in's and out's, and the necessary info is there already. Next, any questions should be asked in that sub-forum, as most of its subscribers do what you need to do on a daily basis. There is almost nothing that they have not seen before and handled.

As for "translation," Harm's answer is correct - "No." There are many translation sites, some better than others. There are also many translation services around the world, some better than others. Whatever you do, do not use the service that translated my LG DVD burners manual into English!

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Translate Subtitles?
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Your best bet is Google Translate or a dedicated program.

Having seen such results, I disagree.  Do this job right and hire a human.  One who is fluent in both languages and can type well.

• 6. Re: Translate Subtitles?
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Not both but multiple, as the OP stated. I don't know about the variety of languages required, but in my case for some common languages, like English, German, French, Dutch, Swiss, Italian and Spanish, Google Translate would help me enough to get started. Not for Latin or Greek (although I read them) or Turkish or a whole lot of other languages. After using Google Translate then you can check the texts with a translator, but this approach will save you a load of effort and money, if you have a decent understanding and expertise in the languages required. In the US it is pretty uncommon to speak several languages, so your advise may well be in a general sense on the mark in the US. In Europe however it is not uncommon to read, write and speak several languages, like  I mentioned above. From that perspective my remarks were made.

• 7. Re: Translate Subtitles?
                      Jim_Simon Level 8

Not both but multiple,

By "both" I meant one human who is fluent in both English and the required translation.  You'd need enough humans to cover all the required languages.

By the way, given that you have some understanding of other languages, you would qualify as the human in my scenario.

Just don't rely on a machine, is what I'm suggesting.

• 8. Re: Translate Subtitles?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree that human translators in a professional service will be better, than Web-based translation sites. Most nuances, plus idioms, will likely be missed with the sites, regardless of how good they are. If this is a professional production, finding a good translation service would be my first choice. Most US cities have many. Most international cities might well have more. In London, we use two great ones, as many presentations must be correct for a half-dozen languages. There is often no "room for error."

To the OP, just do not use the service that LG did!

Hunt

• 9. Re: Translate Subtitles?
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I'm with you.

Let's take Spanish, as an example. Do you mean Iberian Spanish, or Mexican Spanish (which State?), or Guatamalan Spanish, or Caribbean Spanish (which country, or island?). I could go one, but you get the idea. It can get even more complicated, if one is doing some of the Asian translations.

Only a human, fluent in the exact language, and maybe the exact region/audience, can tailor the words and phrases, to the exact audience. Are you aiming for a formally educated Mexican audience from Jalisco State, or for the "common people," from that same Mexican State? There WILL be differences, and some might not be that subtle.

Good luck,

Hunt