4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2009 7:33 AM by Jacob Bugge

font list empty

jiggy1965 Level 1

Installed Illustrator CS3 but upon opening a new document some of the fonts in the font preview menu are blank. For example a font has an OpenType icon next to its name, the name itself is blank and I can select e.g. regular and bold. But the name is gone! When I select those fonts there isn't any mention of a missing font and I can type some text... but the text isn't appearing! I haven't any extra fonts activated. Some display normal (both in the font menu as on stage), a lot are blank where the name should be seen.

What can be wrong?

• 1. Re: font list empty
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

flash,

Is it the same in the Character palette? If not, can you find out which fonts they are (from looking into Windows>Fonts)?

Especially if yes to either, you may gave corrupted preferences. You may try to Ctrl/Cmd+ASlt/Option+Shift during startup of Illy, or Move the folder.

• 2. Re: font list empty
            jiggy1965 Level 1

In the font preview menu some fonts show fine, others have blank space where their name should be (it's like illustrator is trying to generate a preview but can't). When I select those fonts and draw a textfield and type text not text shows. Like illustrator doesn't know how to show the font. Fonts are default ones, like Verdana. In other applications (e.g. indesign) they work just fine. Deleting pref folder didn't work.

• 3. Re: font list empty
              jiggy1965 Level 1

Fixed it. I did a basic search for .lst files (fnt.lst) and deleted them all. That didn't work, but later I turned on 'all files including hidden'. Now it found lots more adobe fnt.lst files. Deleted them all and illustrator font preview list was fixed again.

• 4. Re: font list empty
                Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Well done, flash. I had forgotten about that option.