3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 5, 2008 10:36 PM by TW54

Extract code and compile to Webhelp

TW54
      Hello all,

Am posting this on behalf of a colleague. Some developers in my organization want to extract GUI terms and definitions from their Java code, then want this text to be converted to Webhelp automatically. The team wants to know:

Is there is a tool that can extract specific sections (strings?) of the code?
      How can they then convert the extracted code to Webhelp?
      Do they need an HTML editor to convert the extracted code to Webhelp? Does it have to be Robohelp?

From what I gleaned from my colleague, the developers do not want to spend too much time on product documentation, and are hoping for a rough and ready online help system.

Would appreciate any help,
      Amala

• 1. Re: Extract code and compile to Webhelp
          RoboColum(n) Level 5
          Hi amala and welcome to the RH community.

quote:

Originally posted by: TW54
          From what I gleaned from my colleague, the developers do not want to spend too much time on product documentation, and are hoping for a rough and ready online help system.

If you were me, you'd be typing your resignation letter right now

First off, you do not need RH to produce webhelp output but you do need a help authoring tool like RH. As for doing this automatically, you can't whilst using RH. You may be able to produce some HTML pages using the extracted Java code but you don't need RH, or any other tool, to do this.

Anyway as I more or less stated earlier, it may be prudent to suggest that if they want documentation that no one uses they are going about it the right way.
          • 2. Re: Extract code and compile to Webhelp
            MergeThis Level 4
            Why don't they just provide that descriptive content in tooltips?

Good luck,
            Leon
            • 3. Re: Extract code and compile to Webhelp
              TW54 Level 1
              Thanks for responding! :-)

I guess different product groups with different priorities, release schedules, and platforms, as also different users with different expectations was too much for the development team to handle and quality documentation is the first thing to fall by the wayside.

But the tooltip sounds like a great idea. I'll suggest it to my colleague so she can pass it along.