12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2009 12:23 PM by Jim_Simon

Exporting Widescreen - It shouldn't be this difficult!

CowboyRy

Hello all,

I really hope someone can help me here, I'm a long-term user of Premiere Pro yet I recently upgraded to CS4 with the new media encoder, and simple operations now seem impossible, in this scenerio - exporting a widescreen video...in widescreen!

I have a video, about 1 minute long. Shot in widescreen. Edited in a Premiere widescreen project and for the export settings: Mov and/or Mpeg and/or WMV, and the DV PAL Widescreen Preset - which then gives me the (unchangeable) frame size of 720x 576. I choose Square Pixels for the ratio selection and export. I get a widescreen video plus letterboxing to give me a 4:3 screen. Seeing as i can't change the frame size, I changed the pixels to Widescreen, and it gives me a 4:3 video without letterboxing, thereby distorting it horribley. I have tried changing everything! Different codecs give me the correct size but a file hundreds and hundreds of MB big. Seriously, it shouldn't be this hard!!

Please someone, talk some sense!

Ryan

• 1. Re: Exporting Widescreen - It shouldn't be this difficult!
          Harm Millaard Level 7

For DV use format Microsoft AVI with DV PAL Widescreen as preset, similarly for MPEG2-DVD and for WMV use 1024 x 576 with square pixels. If that does not give the required results, your sequence settings may be wrong or your export settings. Be more specific in that case.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Exporting Widescreen - It shouldn't be this difficult!
            CowboyRy Level 1

Thanks Harm,

I tried the avi option but it's giving me a file of over 400mb which is still too big - I'm just trying WMV now. However, I still can't get around the Quicktime issue as it still refuses to let you change the framesize from 720x576. As for project settings, I chose the DV PAL widescreen 48khz setting and it is clearly in widescreen in the program window. This really seems ridiculous for somethign that use to be so easy, I'm despairing!

• 3. Re: Exporting Widescreen - It shouldn't be this difficult!
              Harm Millaard Level 7

A 1 minute DV file should be around 200 MB. (one hour is around 12-13 GB).

Are you on a PC (90% of the people are)? If so, refrain from using QT, or as I call it QuiRckTime.

Something must be wrong with your export settings. Can you post a screenshot of your export settings?

• 4. Re: Exporting Widescreen - It shouldn't be this difficult!
                CowboyRy Level 1

Hi Harm,

The WMV works fine thanks. As QT really won't let me change thye frame size I'm going to follow your advice and leave it. The wmv clip is 3:40 long and only 40mb, and it's still 1024x576 so that's the kind of size I was looking for. Here's my export settings - though I haven't tweaked them to get the correct wmv settings, I assumed you would be looking at something. Hope this is what you need?

Many thanks,

Ryan

http://i591.photobucket.com/albums/ss360/LambdaFilms/ss.jpg

• 5. Re: Exporting Widescreen - It shouldn't be this difficult!
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

That looks OK to me. How is the result?

• 6. Re: Exporting Widescreen - It shouldn't be this difficult!
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    I have tried changing everything!

Except the one thing you need to change, the playback mode of the player.  DVD players will typically unsquish this material automatically.  Computer software players often have to be told to do it manually.  Don't use Quicktime or Windows Media Player.  Use something else that allows you to easily change the display aspect ratio.

There's nothing wrong with your widescreen exports.  You did it right.  It's just the player needs to be properly set for playback of that kind of file.

• 7. Re: Exporting Widescreen - It shouldn't be this difficult!
                      CowboyRy Level 1

Well the WMV is widescreen and works, but for all the trying I've done it seems I can only get wmv and flv files in widescreen. The other formats won't let me change the frame size from 720x576. Thanks for your help Harm, I'm very disappointed that upgrading the software has made it so difficult to export files now.

Ryan

• 8. Re: Exporting Widescreen - It shouldn't be this difficult!
                        CowboyRy Level 1

Thanks for your suggestion Jim,

I understand what you're saying and for me that's fine. Unfortunately all the clips I make go to clients, many of whom are technically illiterate, so that's not something I can tell them all to do. Especially as 99.9% will you use either QT or WMP!

• 9. Re: Exporting Widescreen - It shouldn't be this difficult!
                          annabelle201

My suggestion is to go back to an earlier version of Premier, CS4 does not work in a lot of ways but the media encoder is a hugely bad idea. We can't get it to work the way it is supposed to where you can edit you timeline while the encoder ins rendering a movie. Without this advantage there is no advantage. Adobe need to offer the export movie function as well as the media encoder and not require you to use the encoder as the only choice. It is much slower and does not work as advertised. This is a deal killer and we are back to using 2.0

• 10. Re: Exporting Widescreen - It shouldn't be this difficult!
                            Keano66 Level 1

Annabelle, may I also suggest that anyone who uses the multicam feature of PPro 4.1 (particularly those filming live events with 3 cameras, as I do) revert back to CS3.  It's a lot easier!!

• 11. Re: Exporting Widescreen - It shouldn't be this difficult!
                              Colin Brougham Level 6
                              The other formats won't let me change the frame size from 720x576.

If you're attempting to go from a DV source (judging by the screenshot you posted, you are) to a DV output (which you are if you're going to MS DV AVI or to QuickTime DV MOV), you have no other option than to encode at 720x576, period. That's what DV is (in PALLand, anyway; in NTSCVille, it's 720x480). It doesn't matter if you're coming from or going to a standard 4:3 aspect ratio or a widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio, as long as you're using a DV codec your files will alwaysalwaysalways be 720x576. The differentiation between the display aspect ratio or DAR (4:3 or 16:9), therefore, comes from the pixel aspect ratio, or PAR--in other words, what shape are the pixels? For standard DV sources, the pixels' width-to-height ratio is smaller; for widescreen DV sources, the pixels' width-to-height ratio is larger. Note that these are relative, and not absolute, as I'm speaking in generalities about DV--NTSC DV and PAL DV PARs differ. As Jim pointed out, some programs are able to properly read the PAR written into a DV (or other video) file, while some simply read the raw pixel count, which in your case is 720x576. That's why it looks weird and not what you want when played back--the footage is all there, but not drawn as you'd like.

The only real safe bet, in my mind, is to use square pixels when encoding for computer playback, especially when dealing with less-than-technically-savvy clients. Computers use square pixels, and that's what they like. Encode using square pixels for web playback and local playback formats (like WMV, FLV, H.264, some QT flavors), and you'll avoid the weird stretchies. This does, of course, involve some small amount of computation on your part to determine what is the proper pixel count when using square pixels, but in the case of 16:9 widescreen display, it's usually just a case of dividing your height by 9, and multiplying that result by 16 to get the width. Punch those values into AME, and set your pixel aspect ratio to Square Pixels, and you should be in good shape... pun slightly intended.

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: Exporting Widescreen - It shouldn't be this difficult!
                                Jim_Simon Level 8

that's not something I can tell them all to do. Especially as 99.9% will you use either QT or WMP!

This is the technical reality of the situation, however.  DV is limited and this is the only way to make it work.  Your clients will have to educate themselves and adapt if they want widescreen DV exports.