6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2009 11:46 AM by DCPress

Using Raw in Adobe

DCPress

I have one major problem. I have Adobe Photoshop 7.0 and Adobe Elements 7.0. I usually use Elements because I find it more user friendly.

I cannot open any .raw or .dng files in Photoshop for some reason.

Is there an update I need or a different program?

• 1. Re: Using Raw in Adobe
          Jeff Schewe Level 5

There is no method of opening raw digital files into Photoshop 7. Elements 7 should be able to...

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Using Raw in Adobe
            John Joslin Level 6

... and depending on your camera model, you may need to update the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in.

See http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/407/kb407111.html

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Using Raw in Adobe
              DCPress Level 1

I have been editing in Elements. There is a separate editor that pops up for editing with raw files.

The one problem I have been running into is that I cannot save the file to anything except a dng and sometimes if I want to send the photo to someone I can't do it because they do not have the software...

If you can't edit raw in Photoshop, what program is the preferred for professionals?

• 4. Re: Using Raw in Adobe
                John Joslin Level 6

DCPress wrote:

The one problem I have been running into is that I cannot save the file to anything except a dng...

If you can't edit raw in Photoshop, what program is the preferred for professionals?

You can nominate the format you want to save to in the Save dialog from that "editor".

Photoshop is the prefered program for professionals.

• 5. Re: Using Raw in Adobe
                  Jeff Schewe Level 5

DCPress wrote:

You can't edit raw in Photoshop 7, but Photoshop CS, CS2, CS3 and the currently shipping Photoshop CS4 can open captured raw and DNG files no problem.

It's completely unclear what it is you are doing...

In Elements 7, does Camera Raw open when you open a raw file? If so, simply open the image into Elements (past Camera Raw) and save your image as a TIFF, PSD or JPEG. If you open the image as a 16 bit/channel image you won't be able to save as a JPEG until you reduce the bit depth to 8 bits/channel.

• 6. Re: Using Raw in Adobe
                    DCPress Level 1

The biggest issue I was running into was that I had it in 16 bits/channel.

Opening the image in elements helped a lot too.

This helped out a lot. As I am new to editing .raw I was kinda lost.