9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2009 11:58 AM by Rachel_M_Garrett

Flex Charting

justneed2know
      I downloaded the Flex 60-day trial version. I created an application, added a line chart to a window, and ran the application. I got a "Flex Data Visualization Trial" message. Does that mean the basic charting components are trial versions of ILOG Elixir, which must be later purchased.. or am I getting this message because I'm using the Flex Builder trial version? I don't want to build a charting application only to discover I have to pay $800 (ILOG Elixir) to use charting controls that came in Flex. I hope they're complimentary for a purchased version of Flex Builder.
        • 1. Re: Flex Charting
          Gregory Lafrance Level 6
          I believe you buy FB, and then you add the Flex charting components on top of that, but it has nothing to do with ILOG. They have simply built additional data visualization components Adobe promotes to a degree.
          • 2. Re: Flex Charting
            justneed2know Level 1
            Thanks! That helps. I did a bit more research. It seems if you purchase the prof. version of flex builder, then flex charting components are included. http://www.adobe.com/products/flex/upgrade/. So, I guess I'm getting the "Flex Data Visualization Trial" message because I'm using the Prof. Trial version of Builder.
            • 3. Flex Charting
              Wayne Wagler
              Did you find any way to get charts before making the purchase? I need to demo the chart output to justify my purchase.
              • 4. Re: Flex Charting
                Wayne Wagler Level 1
                Greg,

Is there a way to get charts working for demo/eval purposes? Would the Flex SDK without flex builder support charts? I can't justify my purchase without showing the benefit - which in my case involves charts.

Thanks,
                Wayne Wagler
                • 6. Re: Flex Charting
                  Wayne Wagler Level 1
                  I appreciate the reply. Unfortunately that link came up "404 not found".

But you were able to get a chart with the trial version? I'm ok with the watermark,but need the chart to show up. So far when creating charts that are in browser (flex) or air, the out put was watermark only with no chart at all.

thanks,
                  Wayne
                  • 7. Re: Flex Charting
                    Karl_Sigiscar_1971 Level 3

For the project I work on, we acquired Flex Builder 2 + Flex Charting and payed for each.

Then we acquired Flex Builder 3 and then upgraded to the Flex Builder 3 Professional.

We installed the ILOG Elixir extension for trial and we do have the watermark ILOG Elixir Trial.

You do have to purchase the ILOG Elixir extension license even if you already have a license for Flex Charting.

This is because these components add a lot more functionality that you would spend months to develop yourself.
                    • 8. Re: Flex Charting
                      Level 7

"Karl_Sigiscar_1971" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                      news:g76k7k$3fu$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > For the project I work on, we acquired Flex Builder 2 + Flex Charting and
                      > payed for each.
                      >
                      > Then we acquired Flex Builder 3 and then upgraded to the Flex Builder 3
                      > Professional.
                      >
                      > We installed the ILOG Elixir extension for trial and we do have the
                      > watermark
                      > ILOG Elixir Trial.
                      >
                      > You do have to purchase the ILOG Elixir extension license even if you
                      > already
                      > have a license for Flex Charting.
                      >
                      > This is because these components add a lot more functionality that you
                      > would
                      > spend months to develop yourself.
                      >

Be careful, though...if you want to use them in a commercial application,
                      there's a considerable license fee.

• 9. Re: Flex Charting
                        Rachel_M_Garrett
                        It sounds like, to answer Wayne's question, that there is *not* a way to demonstrate simple line charts, pie charts, etc. with the 60-day trial version. You have to purchase the Professional version in order to do anything with charts. Is this correct?

I got approved for a Flex license, but I'm still using the trial while I wait for a license key. I'm frustrated that I can't display a simple graph while I wait for the corporate folks to sort out the licensing issue. I can understand restricting advanced functionality or creating watermarks, but it's really crippling to not even be able to show people what our data will look like.