6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2009 9:54 AM by the_wine_snob

Stop imported images from being scaled down

BiffCliff

This is a quote from the Adobe Premiere Elements 7 web page Guidelines For Adding Files

Guidelines for adding still image files

By default, Adobe Premiere Elements scales still images to fit the project frame size. You can override this behavior and instead add your files at the size at which they were created.

My question is how do you override the down scaling my image of 4000x3000 is getting scaled to 1280x??? so when I zoom it is pixelated.

Thanks all.

• 1. Re: Stop imported images from being scaled down
          the_wine_snob Level 9

You need to turn off Scale to Fit.

Now, do you need the full 4000 pixel size? That is monster. It is also the max size for Premiere (at least in PrPro - do not know if PrE faces that same maximum frame size limit, but would assume that it would).

I have only needed to do similar with a "photowall," and found that even PrPro had difficulty on a robust workstation with more than about 3 of these. I did that Project in AfterEffects, and just Exported to a DV-AVI for use in PrPro.

What one has to consider, beyond just the processing load on the computer and the NLE program, is that the resizing algorithms in PrE and PrPro (by my test results), are inferior to those in Photoshop (PS). Hence, I always resize to exactly what I will need in PS and then Import those into my NLE. I cover this in my ARTICLE in the Tips & Tricks sub-forum.

The use of stills in an NLE is one clear-cut case, where bigger is not necessarily better.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Stop imported images from being scaled down
            BiffCliff Level 1

Thank you Mr the_wine_snob and sorry I should have marked it as the correct answer but only marked it as helpful.

As you can see kinda from my images I am doing a map which is why I would like to have the whole map and to be able to move around the map.

For anyone that has a similar problem this is where you find the setting

forum1.png

Under the General tab uncheck Default scale to frame size

forum2.png

• 3. Re: Stop imported images from being scaled down
              the_wine_snob Level 9

I understand that there are times that larger images are necessary, like my photowall. I just wanted to point out that they do affect performance and can bring a Project to its knees, if there are too many of them. With 8, I was hitting that ceiling in an SD Project on a killer workstation. Things worked, but were too slow to do the animation that I needed. That was why I moved those photowall images to AE, as it handles things like this differently and better. It also allowed even more controlled animation, which was my goal.

I just wanted you to be aware of the potential. For one large image, and then the rest resized per my needs, there would not be an issue. Give me eight, and I head to AE. Luckily for me, it was included in my Adobe suite, so I had it. It is not an inexpensive program, and the learning curve is pretty steep, but that is mostly because of its power.

Good luck with your Project, and please let us know how it turns out,

Hunt

• 4. Re: Stop imported images from being scaled down
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Just a little back seat driving....

Premiere Elements 7

To override your video being scaled to the frame size of the project preset that you set in the New Project dialog, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and uncheck "Default Scale to Frame Size".

A just in case you need it note:

When you get to Share/Personal Computer/export choices, do not forget to click on the Advance Button (if available for your export choice) and make the necessary the appropriate changes in frame size, frame rate, and other properties for the export.

Also, how do you intend to export this 4000 x 3000 pixel still?

If you go Share/Personal Computer/Windows Media, even with the choice preset = 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic, the max that you can type in for frame size = 2000 x 2000 pixels.

If you go Share/Personal Computer/Windows Media, even with the choice preset = 1920 x 1080i30 or 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic, the program setting cannot be changed beyond those frame sizes.

However, if you go File Menu/Export/Movie and select Microsoft AVI (not Microsoft DV AVI), then you can set the frame size at 4000 x 3000 pixels.

But, does your computer have the necessary resources to handle a lot of still that size?

ATR

• 5. Re: Stop imported images from being scaled down
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

When I started typing my comments and hit the Post Message button, all of your latest comments and those of Hunt's that were not there.

Sorry that I did not type faster, but glad that you found the "Default Scale to Frame Size".

ATR

• 6. Re: Stop imported images from being scaled down
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    Also, how do you intend to export this 4000 x 3000 pixel still? If you go Share/Personal Computer/Windows Media, even with the choice preset = 1440 x 1080 HD anamorphic, the max that you can type in for frame size = 2000 x 2000 pixels.

In the OP's case, the Export will be to the chosen Frame Size. Let's just say that it's 1440 x 1080. That is all that will show. However, PrE will be displaying that Frame Size from the larger still, and as it moves about, within that Frame Size, the image will change to reflect the current view of that still image. It's like having a 1440 x 1080 window. Behind that "window," the scene is moved about, as is needed. The view will always be through that window, but with something like the Effect>Motion>Position, will be dynamically altered, frame by frame. Without Scale to Fit, only the 1440 x 1080 "view" will be seen, and never the 4000 x X full view. It's about the same as a PiP, that is created by Effect>Crop. The full image of the Video Clip on Track 2 is never seen, as we have created a "window," reflected by the Crop. That is all that the NLE "sees," and Exports.

Still, the resources useage will be predicated on the size of the source material, even though we only see that 1440 x 1080 "view" of it. The program has to "crunch" the "big picture."

Hunt