3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2008 8:45 AM by g-s-b

Flex and W3C compatibility and Validation

RTCXi Level 1
      Hello,

I developed a FLEX application and tried to run a W3C validation on the markup of the html file that contains the flex app when it is compiled, and I am receiving numerous errors for the markup validation failing. It appears that most of the errors are occuring on the javascript code that FLEX builder write in the HTML file. I was able to clean up most of the HTML code so that it passes validation, but I am still getting 34 errors for things like "scroll="no" is not a valid attribute for this type of document." another error I get multiple times is

"Line 54, Column 48: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "MMplayerType" .
      …s", "MMredirectURL="+MMredirectURL+'&MMplayerType='+MMPlayerType+'&MMdoctitle

Line 99, Column 33: there is no attribute "quality" .
      <embed src="main.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#869ca7"

Is it possible to make Flex applications W3C compliant and able to pass all validation checks, or is there no relationship between the W3C standards and ria's? Any help with this issue and making this application W3C compliant is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
        • 1. Re: Flex and W3C compatibility and Validation
          g-s-b Level 1
          I use SWFObject and javascript in my HTML wrappers.
          They pass as XHTML 1.0 Strict and also pass the CSS check.

They also allow me to include in the wrapper all or part of my main content since they are simply another XML file that can be read in as data once the SWF is loaded.

Here is an example:

• 2. Re: Flex and W3C compatibility and Validation
            RTCXi Level 1
            Hello, here is my code that is not passing W3C validation. This code is exactly as FLEX Builder set it up. The only modifications I have made are the metatags and the comments, because the original comment structure that Flex embedded in the HTML file failed the validation until I changed them and put them in between brackets.
            Attached, you will find my code. If you have any ideas as to how I can get my code to pass validation, I would appreciate it. Thank you.
            • 3. Re: Flex and W3C compatibility and Validation
              g-s-b Level 1
              Well, if mine won't due, sorry.

As to fixing yours, for each error listed by the validator, make appropriate changes in your HTML wrapper. Use google to help and perhaps other forums focused more on HTML/XHTML validation. This may not be the best forum for those questions.

Hope that helps.