20 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2008 11:14 AM by V-Twin

Yet Another loadMovie problem *need help*

Unregistered_User-yGILrm
      First off - I'm not new to this Forum but the system didn't seem to recognize me and I needed to get going with this so I had to create a new Profile. Ok to my problem ..

All I'm trying to do is attach a Sound File to my Movie. The Sound File has two attributes ..

1. sound_insert.fla
      2. sound_insert.swf

On my Scene 1 everything is that takes place in Frame 1 on every Layer. All the Animations & Button Actions are nested inside their respective Instances. Everything works great EXCEPT I can't co-ordinate the Soundfiles with this configuartion.

So after much study ( some I understood & most I didn't) I've concluded how experienced programmers do it is by loading the Soundfiles via the loadMovie application. So here's where I'm lost .. actually it's at the very beginning.

1. I had to download and install Shockwave Player 11 and another program called Lingo which is suppose to allow me the ability to play multiple movies on the same Stage. My Sound Files are only on Scene 1. But anyway, after hassling with this, I finally got it installed and still I'm nowhere near understanding how to make it work.

I thought I had to utilize the ' Linkage' feature but when it ask for the URL, well I'm working within my PC so am I suppose to put in the location of the Soundfiles on my drive? I already Imported the SWF files into my Library.
      So I'm going to basically establish that I've never worked with the loadMovie attribute yet and I don't understand how to do it so that my music plays when the page loads.

Also, how much control will I have. I don't want this to be on subsequent pages, just Scene 1. I hope this was understandable?

If anyone needs to see examples, I'll provide them ..

Thanks All ... please help if you can ///
        • 1. Re: Yet Another loadMovie problem *need help*
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
          even semi-experienced programmers don't load soundfiles using loadMovie(). they use the sound class' loadSound() method.

so, if you're trying to load an external sound file (as opposed to attaching a sound from your swf's library), you should use loadSound().
          • 2. Re: Yet Another loadMovie problem *need help*
            V-Twin
            On the example I'm following .. this is the code they use

• 3. Re: Yet Another loadMovie problem *need help*
              it's safe to say that was not written by an experienced programmer.
              • 4. Re: Yet Another loadMovie problem *need help*
                V-Twin Level 1
                Well all I can say is, it works for them very well to a point where they're making a very good living from it. I can show you the entire code if you'd like but to the point at hand, you're claiming to insert sound, it's better to use the loadSound() action rather than loadMovie eh? So why are they using a separate FLA for their sound files & instances? And for what I'm trying to do, I can't accomplish it while all my Images & Instances are contained in frame 1 only. It does work when I extend the Timeline on the Main Stage.

And how can Lingo help if one wishes to attach a Movie to another Movie?
                • 5. Re: Yet Another loadMovie problem *need help*
                  Shandy Elliott Level 1
                  It's possible they are loading a swf file that has a sound clip on its timeline. Unless they have used SwiftMP3 to create that swf file of audio, then they are loading the sound in a less controllable fashion. I don't know about the "good living" they may be making, but just use loadSound() like kglad said. If you want to load a sound at the beginning of your animation, place the code below on the first frame. Since the audio will not be on the actual time line, you will have to control the audio through script. Create an empty movie clip to act as a container for the sound (in the code, the instance name is mcEmptyClip). Place that movie clip on frame 1. That should get you started.
                  • 6. Re: Yet Another loadMovie problem *need help*
                    it's better to use loadSound(). (but you should be applying it to a sound instance, not a movieclip instance.)
                    • 7. Re: Yet Another loadMovie problem *need help*
                      Shandy Elliott Level 1
                      In his case, he can easily just use an empty movie clip to act as the container for the sound file.
                      • 8. Re: Yet Another loadMovie problem *need help*
                        i think you're trying to be helpful shan, but you're not being helpful.
                        • 9. Yet Another loadMovie problem *need help*
                          Shandy Elliott Level 1
                          I think you're trying to be argumentative, kglad, and you are succeeding. According to him, "All I'm trying to do is attach a Sound File to my Movie". The method I suggested will work. I didn't say it was the prettiest of ways or how I might do it myself, but I don't know how the rest of his setup is. Some "by the book" ways don't always work best (especially if someone is not creating the flash document "by the book"). If you will actually "read" the problems he's having, you can get an idea of what might sound easiest to him to get the results he wants. Your suggestions are not always the "end-all" of suggestions (that is when you actually make a suggestion) - your comment of "it's safe to say that was not written by an experienced programmer. " offers absolutely no help to his problem. Instead of trying to tell everyone else on these boards how they are wrong (when I know damn well what I suggested will work), how about you tell them what WILL work (in your mind). I have better things to do with my life than camp out in front of a computer all day (as apparently you do by looking at your count of posts), so therefore, I will not continue wasting my time with this post. You don't like anyone to have a different opinion or option than you - that's the problem. Even if both methods work, if it's not "by the book", then you debate it. There is absolutely no reason my method couldn't work for him in his case. I didn't say this is my preferred method, but it will get the job done. So, instead of making another useless comment like your last comment, how about you tell him (and me for that matter) why my suggestion wouldn't work versus your, well no suggestion. It's people like you who feel some sort of ownership in these message boards and who make snide comments like your last one are the reason I stopped coming in here for a long time. I've helped many, many people (not just here), and they don't always understand it when you give them "by the book" explanations, so sometimes a different way of thinking works better for them. Let him try my suggestion and see if that works for him. If not, then there are other ways to explain it, but you are not the one who needs to govern everyone else's suggestions. Who put you in charge? I've seen other posts of yours where all you do is tell people their suggestion is either "inexperienced", not going to work, or just plain stupid, then on top of that, you don't offer any counter-suggestion.

So, explain your last comment about me not helping - as backhanded as that comment was.
                          • 10. Re: Yet Another loadMovie problem *need help*
                            V-Twin Level 1
                            One element I probably should mention since this is getting Xtremely theological is, it's not just a Sound File I'm trying to attach, it's actually a Player capable of File Selections. So when my Movie Loads, a small translucent Player appears in the bottom corner with a simple Stop & Play control. Then it has onRollOver drop down Menu for which ever Song selection you wish to hear. Does this make the argument change?

btw, far be it for me to suggest any opinions are wrong because I came here for help which clearly places me on the learning end of things. So I'm grateful for the advice. All I'm asking is, would this Lingo program along with the loadMovie functio be a solution i.e. Playing 2 Movie at once? And furthermore, it sounds like a step forward in learning Flash ..
                            • 11. Re: Yet Another loadMovie problem *need help*
                              Shandy Elliott Level 1
                              It doesn't change any argument. It sounds like you simply want to have an mp3 player with a song selection listing. I don't know why you didn't mention that in the first place, though. I don't know why you are so focused on this Lingo thing. If you are strictly asking about an mp3 player, let me know. I will more than likely have to see your flash file to further help you because at this point, with your explanation being a little confusing now, I would have to visually see what you are asking.
                              • 12. Re: Yet Another loadMovie problem *need help*
                                shan, there's nothing theoretical or esoteric about telling you loadSound() is not a movieclip method and your code will not work.
                                • 13. Re: Yet Another loadMovie problem *need help*
                                  Shandy Elliott Level 1
                                  Ok, I admit I was battling two different thoughts at once and mixed up some code. Originally, I was trying to explain how you CAN use loadMovie to load in a sound (when a swf file just contains a sound clip), then I mentioned the possibility of them using SwiftMP3 to create the swf of audio (this program exports audio data in order to create an animated volume meter with the music). Once I mentioned that, I focused on the fact how you can use loadMovie. That's where my code came into play (even though I mistakenly used mcEmptyClip.loadSound("pathToSoundFile/nameOfSoundFile.mp3", true); instead of mcEmptyClip.loadMovie("pathToSoundFile/nameOfSoundFile.swf");). So yes, I realize the code I mentioned will not work as written because I was mistakenly combining the two codes, but I DO know the difference between the two. After reading the original post, my brain hurt and therefore farted, then your semi-tacky comment about "even semi-experienced programmers don't load soundfiles using loadMovie()" got me off track in trying to explain how that's not necessarily true. So my fault in getting riled up.

If you look at my example, you will see what I meant by using a movie clip to load a swf file which contains audio. This is what I was trying to express when I mentioned how this could be the way the original poster was talking about. I got twisted based on your first comment of "even semi-experienced programmers don't load soundfiles using loadMovie()". If you are using SwiftMP3, then yes, one would load sound files using loadMovie, and that's not an inexperienced way (if you are using SwiftMP3 properly).

So yes, you CAN use loadMovie to load in a sound file and have minimal control over it, but in the case of him wanting or trying to create an mp3 player, you should use loadSound using the Sound object

var someSound:Sound=new Sound(this) // you don't have to specify "this"
                                  someSound.loadSound("pathToSoundFile/nameOfSoundFile.mp3", true);
                                  • 14. Re: Yet Another loadMovie problem *need help*
                                    V-Twin Level 1
                                    If you guys are still interested in helping me out here because I'm just plain grounded ... I need to tell you that I grappled with the concept of providing the FLA so you can see what I'm talking about merely because this Document is of a company & product that has yet to be launched and all of its' content is proprietary.

Having said that, I am convinced given the comments that I've read, you will be able to solve this dilemma once you can actually see the files so therefore I have an idea.

I wish to upload the FLA onto a password protected area of my Site. If I can PM you both with the password, would you be willing to take a look at what we're talking about ?

Thank You Sincerely
                                    • 15. Re: Yet Another loadMovie problem *need help*
                                      sorry, it's difficult when more than one person tries to help unless they're all on the same page. i'm dropping out of this thread. good luck
                                      • 16. Re: Yet Another loadMovie problem *need help*
                                        V-Twin Level 1
                                        you know they say, "Two heads are better than one" anyway, I'm not entirely sure Shan will even continue to monitor this Thread so then I'll be left without any help. Oh Well, if that's the case, I'll just try to work it out on my own but thanks anyway
                                        • 17. Re: Yet Another loadMovie problem *need help*
                                          or start a new thread if he stops trying to help.
                                          • 18. Re: Yet Another loadMovie problem *need help*
                                            Shandy Elliott Level 1
                                            I don't just "drop out" of something when someone needs help. I admit my mistake, but it's purely an honest mistake of how I was combining the two methods in my mind. It's one thing to talk about code and another to visually be doing it. I would have caught myself if I was actually writing the code in Flash and not just off the top of my head. It was late, I was tired, and frustrated about kglad always making remarks about how other peoples' code is inexperienced "it's safe to say that was not written by an experienced programmer. ", then not offering much beyond that.

He's put me down in the past when he thought I was "inexperienced", and I usually had to create a working example of what I was suggesting. What I suggest isn't always how I would do it, but how I think would make the most sense to a person according to their problem. In this case, I just had a slight brain fart, and after his back-handed remark about me "trying to help but I'm not" pushed me, so I apologize for any hateful remarks I made and losing focus on the issue at hand.

You can simply email me the flash file if you like. I think that would be easier than uploading to a password protected area. Like I said, I'm more visual than anything, so once I actually see what you are talking about, I'm more than confident I can help you.
                                            • 19. Re: Yet Another loadMovie problem *need help*
                                              V-Twin Level 1
                                              AWESOME !!! It's on it's way and THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I will include a few PS notes at the bottom so you can know what's going on
                                              • 20. Yet Another loadMovie problem *need help*
                                                V-Twin Level 1
                                                Email is now on it's way ..you should have it by now

my email is mailto:harlee@blumusik.com