6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2009 8:33 AM by David Long

Creating a local file management system

David Long

I am a ColdFusion developer beginning to get into Flex Development and am building a CRM for my company.  My boss had a really good idea to have an option in the documents tab to be able to choose whether to upload the document to the server, which would be in CF, or (and this is the part that intrigues me) to be able to say do not upload, but still be able to see it in that users list of documents.  The user would have to log onto the same computer as the one that added the document to see it, but I am really intrigued to see if it is possible.  What I was thinking, was to put the path of the file on the local system in the database, and whenever the user wants to open the file, maybe Flex could go to the path and pull it into the CF Server, or if Flex has the ability to read .doc files?  What do y'all think?  Possible or not?  If you tell me it isn't I will still probably try to figure out a way to do it, because that is my attitude about this kind of stuff.

• 1. Re: Creating a local file management system
          kkc_mca

Hi David,

One thing i am sure flex cannot access the local files

I thing there is a possibility of AIR app, it can access the local files

check the possibility for AIR app once

If this post answers your question or helps. Please mark it as such

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Creating a local file management system
            David Long Level 1

Thank you.  Do you know of a coding language that can access the local file system?  Ajax possibly?  I would od it in Air, but I don't want to build the entire application in Air, and the file system is a very small part of it.

• 3. Re: Creating a local file management system
              kkc_mca Level 2

Hi David

you can access the local file system using php.

you need to place the script in the system where you want to modify and

you can run that script from any where.

If this post answers your question or helps. Please mark it as such

• 4. Re: Creating a local file management system
                Zolotoj Level 3

That's what I do too. I have a server part of my application that can access any network resurce that I am letting it to. Then it will return all information back to Flex to present to the user.

HTH

• 5. Re: Creating a local file management system
                  David Long Level 1

What it sounds like you are thinking is server to server file access.

First off: Is there a way to do what you guys are talking about in ColdFusion that you know of?  I don't know a lick of PHP.

Second off: To better lay out exactly what I am doing:

I am building the application as a CRM and some of the clients that will use it don't want to be forced to upload their files, such as contracts, to the server or any servers.  they would like them right on there local machine, but still want to be able to see them in there list of files on the site.  This is entirely web-based, so no Air or anything like that.  The goal is to be able to upload the location of the file or directory in the database and whenever the user goes to the file page from that computer (so it would have a cookie on it that has all the paths instead of the database holding that) the CF server checks that cookie.  Sees the paths and passes those to flex, ajax, javascript or whatever I would need, and say go get them and possibly create a temp copy of that file on the CF Server so that the user can edit the files.

• 6. Re: Creating a local file management system
                    Zolotoj Level 3

Well then, you are probably better of using JavaScript via external calls. JS can open local files, all you need to do is create a Flex interface to manipulate these commands.

HTH