4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 25, 2009 5:10 AM by mediaman54

Pen Tool and Mask Confusion

mediaman54

Noob.

I'm confused by the Pen Tool and Masks.

I took a tutorial and it worked OK,

now in the field it doesn't.

I want to draw a mask around an object.

I click once with the pen tool to leave a point.

I click a 2nd time and drag, expecting Bezier handles,

but it only moves the 2nd point around.

I click a third point, and the verticies connected to the 2nd point are now curved,

but I don't see any Bezier handles.

Next:  Editing the Mask.

I can't seem to move individial points,

I can only grab the entire mask to move it.

What don't I understand here????

• 1. Re: Pen Tool and Mask Confusion
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee

Mediaman:

You are creating mask paths using the Rotobezier mode (see the checkbox in the option bar, to the right of the tools).

Masks (and shape) paths that you generate with pen tools can operate in two modes: Bezier and Rotobezier. Since Rotobezier was introduced, After Effects defaults to that mode.

When you create and edit masks in Bezier mode, the curve tension is defined by bezier handles (unless it's a corner vertex, of course).

When you create and edit masks in Rotobezier mode, the curve tension is defined by a tension setting in each vertex, which you can tweak with the Convert vertex tool or by control+alt+dragging (Win) / command+option+dragging (Mac). Rotobezier vertices have a default tension setting which produces averaged curves from vertices automatically.

As a general rule, Bezier is more precise spatially but less predicatable in terms of interpolating over time, compared to Rotobezier.

To select a specific vertex, just use the selection tool.

For more information, see the AE Help section on Editing and animating shape paths and masks

• 2. Re: Pen Tool and Mask Confusion
            David Wigforss-Hv1BNN Level 2

You use a combination of a (arrow tool) and g (pen tool) to adjust your mask splines.  Also use shift and control for selecting knots on the mask spline.  When you select a knot (think it might have to be a single knot selection), it should show the bezier handles.

• 3. Re: Pen Tool and Mask Confusion
              Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee
              When you select a knot (think it might have to be a single knot selection), it should show the bezier handles.

Not if the mode is set to Rotobezier, which uses a different method from Bezier handles to define tension.

• 4. Re: Pen Tool and Mask Confusion
                mediaman54 Level 1

Thanks everyone for the help.

I think I've got a handle on things now...