21 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2009 9:05 AM by the_wine_snob

Will the Photoshop/Premiere Elements 7 bundle fit my needs?

FalvinP Level 1

Hi.first time here.....  Before I post my question......why can't I paste text from Word into this box?

I like to think about my posts outside of this window.  Also, why no word wrap?  I'm obviously missing

something.

Anyway..............

I'm a current user of Roxio Creator 2009 Ultimate Edition.  Once a year I create a

slideshow (with some video) video/dvd for a local high school softball team.

I'm going to be doing some more slideshows for a local cable access channel.

Lately, Roxio's Videowave has become very buggy.  Certain features, like

transitions between pics work sometimes and at other times they don't work.  I've

reinstalled the program, which is a very complex procedure, and get the same

results.  Also, I haven't quite figured out how to use Sonicfire Pro 5 from within Videowave

and can't seem to get enough informaton to satisfy my basic needs.

Therefore, I'm thinking about switching to the Photoshop/Premiere Elements 7 bundle.

Before I take the leap, I thought I'd list the things I do currently and see if the bundle

will do the same thing.

I insert pictures into Videowave that have transitions inserted between them....mostly

dissolves.  Once a pic is inserted, I can doubleclick on it to do some basic edits, primarily

cropping, but I may do other things like adjust exposure etc. from time to time.  Does

Premiere Elements do this, or do I have to edit all pics in Photoshop Elelments?

Can I insert color panels (Roxio term) that I can put text on with formatting etc., including

movements......fade in/out, scrolling ect?

Does Premiere have both a storyline view and a timeline view?  I like a storyline view

for inserting all the pictures and transitions and  then switch to timeline to put in audio

etc.

Can I insert mp3 files for a soundtrack and then click on the item in timeline view to do

basic editing, like fade in/out etc.?  How many audio tracks can you have in a project?

Can you add narration directly to a project using a microphone?

I already have Sonicfire Pro 5 scoring edition that I'm still new to figuring out.

Can I create dvd case labels (actually a jewel case, not the traditional tall dvd case?

Can I output to make a dvd disk image (ISO) of my project?  I usually create the ISO

and then burn dvds from this disk image.  Can I create dvds  both with or without menu?

Can I output to other formats like mpeg-2?  I read somewhere that Premiere Elements

supports mpeg-1.  Isn't that an old format?  BTW, for the cable access channel, I

need to be able to output to mpeg-2.

I read that Adobe is cheap and doesn't provide even a basic user guide to get

someone started.  I suppose you have to buy a book or something to get started.

Is this correct?

That's it for now.  I realize I've asked a lot of questions.  Thanks for your help.

• 1. Re: Will the Photoshop/Premiere Elements 7 bundle fit my needs?
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          why can't I paste text from Word into this box?

I have no problem doing this. I cannot imagine why you cannot. I happen to use WordPerfect as my word processor, and the only little thing that I have to do is either had a Hard Return, after a paragraph, or just add two Soft Returns. I'm lazy, so I just hit the Soft Return one extra time for posting to the forum. As a matter-of-fact, since the new forum seems to delight in kicking me off, if my post is more than a tiny amount of text, I always do a Ctrl+a (Select All), Ctrl+c (Copy), and then a Ctrl+v (Paste) into a NotePad doc., as a backup, in case the Adobe forum loggs me out, before I can post. Then, I just log back in, Copy my NotePad doc. into the reply edit screen, and post. I'll be doing the same here, as my backup.

As for you questions on the PSE/PrE bundle, it will do what you want. There are some comments, that will help you get the most out of the programs, and also your Assets (the still images). With any NLE (Non Linear Editor), it's best to do your image processing in an image processing program, like PSE. NLE's are designed to edit Video, though that is what is basically produced with PSE's SlideShow feature.

I resize the stills to my Project settings, in PS (PSE's big-brother, that actually does not have a SlideShow feature), and then I do my actual SlideShow in PrPro. This ARTICLE will give you some background on this resizing for Video, with the methods for automating it, and the pitfalls of not doing it. There are also several FAQ's, that cover various aspects of doing this, with recs. on why.

With mics., it should be pointed out that USB mics. can have issues. This is due to that USB connection. Unless you are locked into to using one, I would get a mic. with the proper connection for your computer's, or your audio-card's connection. Some USB's do work, but there is usually extra work involved, and the end result will be less than a non-USB mic. I'm shopping for a new narration mic., as mine is older than you are (just a guess, but probably correct), and there has been much improvement over the decades. Of the top 10 contenders, not one is a USB. For me, this will be an investment, as was the previous one. I got 30 years of decent use from it, but it's time to "kick it up a couple of notches." Doing a survey of your system, and the connections type(s), will go a long way to getting a great mic.

As to adding it to PrE (do not know the full capabilities of PSE with regards to SlideShows), this recording can be done directly, or indirectly. Though PrPro (my NLE of choice and big-brother to PrE) will allow direct recording, I usually use Adobe Audition, as its Audio processing is limitless.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide, and how it goes for you.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Will the Photoshop/Premiere Elements 7 bundle fit my needs?
            FalvinP Level 1

Thanks for your reply.

This is really weird.  I should be able to cut and paste into this box.  I'm using Firefox 3.5.2.  I decided to see if I could cut and paste using Internet Explorer.  I closed Firefox and opened the forum in Explorer.  For some strange reason, the site wouldn't let me log in.  It said my ID didn't match my password, even though logging in with Firefox, using the exact same login, I  was successful.  I've done it several times.  Weird.  What forum would I post in to discuss this situation as I know it's not really appropriate here?

Before my first post I had looked through this forum a bit just to see how it worked and how active it was.  As it turns out, I've printed out two articles written by Wine Snob; one concerning the resizing images mentioned in the reply to me and the other article dealing with Smartsound. I can tell you are a prolific contributor to this forum, which a newbie like me appreciates.

Now to your kind reply to my first post..... You said the bundle would "do what you want."  That's a very broad statement.  Does that mean that every question (excluding the discussion of where to edit pics) I asked in my first post is answered "yes?"

Questions I'm particularly interested in are these:

Does it have both storyline and timeline view?

Is there a user manual included?  If not, what reference would you recommend?  Is the Adobe Group training dvd (offered on Amazon) any good?

Is there any sound editing once audio is dropped into a project, or would I have to use Quicktracks and/or export back to Sonicfire Pro 5 to do things like adjust volume etc?

I've only played with adding narration to a sample project.  It actually sounded pretty good to my untrained ear......  If I did get serious about adding narration, I'll investigate analog mics, since I have a usb headset.  Btw, unless your current mic has been around longer than  the double nickel, I'm older than it........lol

(I just realized that I have word wrap as I type this!  I didn't have it yesterday....weird)

Sorry if these questions are a bit nit picky.  I take things quite literally.  I initially interpret your reply as saying that every question I asked is answered "yes" (once again, excluding the discussion of image editing), while you may have meant  "Most of the questions are "yes" and we can guide him through the areas where the answer is not "yes."

I'll probably download a trial copy of the bundle to experiment with.  However, if I buy it, I would buy through Amazon...  first, because I want physical dvds and second, because Amazon has a great deal right now with the $30 rebate.  Therefore, I'm not sure if I buy the dvd if I would just enter the code to "unlock" the software.  I realize this is the way it would probably work if I were downloading the software.  I not sure if I would have to uninstall the trial copy in order to install from the dvd.  Any thoughts on this?

I'll probably have more questions as I continue my research.  Thank you again for your help.

• 3. Re: Will the Photoshop/Premiere Elements 7 bundle fit my needs?
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

One word of warning, though.

You claim our Roxio software has suddenly "gone buggy". Software generally doesn't go buggy. This is usually an indication that something is corrupted, outdate or out of balance on your computer system itself. And switching to Premiere Elements is only going to lead to more problems.

As Hunt says, the best test is to download the trial and give it a good test drive. But, if your Roxio is giving you problems, don't be terribly surprised is Premiere Elements does too.

The FAQs to the right of this forum offer a number solutions and suggestions for keeping this program running and keeping your computer in tip top condition. If you've got specific questions, we may well refer you to specific articles there.

• 4. Re: Will the Photoshop/Premiere Elements 7 bundle fit my needs?
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                What forum would I post in to discuss this situation as I know it's not really appropriate here?

The Adobe Forum Comments is basically the "site talk" forum.

Hunt

PS for what it's worth, I use IE7. Often, I am logged-in automatically (like today), but sometimes I am not. I also get automatically logged-out, and usually when I have just done a multi-line reply and try to post it - the forum knows if I have 1000 words, just sitting there!

• 5. Re: Will the Photoshop/Premiere Elements 7 bundle fit my needs?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Questions I'm particularly interested in are these:

Does it have both storyline and timeline view?

Yes, though there are some particular limitations with Sceneline View Mode. I have actually never used it, as I mainly use PrPro and edit in Timeline View Mode. FWIW, PrPro does not have a true Sceneline View Mode, but one can "fudge it," should they wish. I never do.

Is there a user manual included?  If not, what reference would you recommend?  Is the Adobe Group training dvd (offered on Amazon) any good?

No, though Steve Grisetti has a wonderful book on PrE, The Muvipix Guide to PrE 7. I also recommend Muvipix's Community - like this forum, for discussions and problem solving. As for the Adobe Training, I have only seen snippets from similar, mostly Total Training, with disc included in the CS suites. Both Total Training and Lynda.com, come highly recommended, but I've not used either.

Is there any sound editing once audio is dropped into a project, or would I have to use Quicktracks and/or export back to Sonicfire Pro 5 to do things like adjust volume etc?

There is Audio Editing in PrE. It's a bit light, compared to those in PrPro, and is a ways behind SoundBooth (included in PrPro). I use Adobe Audition for most of my heavy Audio editing. It's SoundBooth on steroids, but is no longer included in the PrPro suites, as it is JUST for the PC and not the Mac.

The SmartSound products are not full Audio Editors, though Sonicfire Pro 5 Scoring Edition can do things that no other Audio Editor can do. The closest analogy, that I can offer is that Sonicfire Pro 5 is like an F1 car. It can only be used to race on the F1 circuit, and is no good for getting the groceries, or picking up Aunt Louise from the airport. It is highly specialized, though it is a "car." Now, the output from Sonicfire Pro 5 CAN be edited in an Audio Editor, just as can the output from QuickTracks for Premiere. It would probably be easier if you could state what you wished to do from the output of either of those SmartSound apps, and then I can tell you in detail what can be done, and how best to do it.

Also, in lieu of buying Adobe Audition, much can be done in a freeware Audio editor, Audacity. It is far less powerful than Audition, but did I mention that it's free?

For pure SlideShows, you might want to also look into ProShow Gold & their Producer. Both get great reviews, and are designed just to do SlideShows. After the work is done there, the output can be brought into a version of Pr and edited more.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Will the Photoshop/Premiere Elements 7 bundle fit my needs?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    I can tell you are a prolific contributor to this forum, which a newbie like me appreciates.

If you were to search all of my posts in this forum, you'd see that half of them are questions for Steve, along the lines of "can PrE do this?" I spend 90+% of my time in PrPro, and use PrE as a tool in the toolbox. I first came here to learn it, so I could get the most out of my tool. Too often I get confused as to what PrE can do, and exactly how to do it. I usually have to have my copy of PrE 4 open, when answering a question, just to make sure I don't steer some poster off course, but telling them how it's done in PrPro. I also think that half of Steve's posts are to correct me on some PrPro-only comment that I made here!

At least I give Steve something to do on slow days...

Hunt

• 7. Re: Will the Photoshop/Premiere Elements 7 bundle fit my needs?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                      However, if I buy it, I would buy through Amazon...  first, because I want physical dvds and second, because Amazon has a great deal right now with the $30 rebate.  Therefore, I'm not sure if I buy the dvd if I would just enter the code to "unlock" the software.  I realize this is the way it would probably work if I were downloading the software.  I not sure if I would have to uninstall the trial copy in order to install from the dvd.  Any thoughts on this?

I usually just buy my Adobe software from Adobe's store, but if Amazon has a better price, I see zero reason for not taking advantage of that. After all, $ = $. I do buy quite a bit from Amazon, and have never had an issue, even if the actual product comes from one of their "suppliers."

Adobe offers a 30-day, money back guarantee. I fell 100% sure that this applies to their software from either Adobe direct, or an authorized reseller, like Amazon.com.

Two things that I have zero experience in is returning any Adobe software, and using any trial, other than a few betas, but those do not count. With the trial of PrPro CS4 (the current one, and the same for some previous versions), one DID have to uninstall, and then run the Adobe Clean Script CS3, or CS4, depending on which version their trail was. THEN, they could just install the full-paid version. With PrE, someone else will have to give you the exact details, as I cannot.

Finally, I am a BIG fan of having the physical discs. I have never purchased a download version of any Adobe software, but see many, who only end up with half of the package, as they do not download all parts. I do not know if they are just n a hurry, or if the Adobe download site is less than clear on what needs to be done, and how to do it. Just never been there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Will the Photoshop/Premiere Elements 7 bundle fit my needs?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        Lately, Roxio's Videowave has become very buggy.  Certain features, like transitions between pics work sometimes and at other times they don't work.  I've reinstalled the program, which is a very complex procedure, and get the same results.  Also, I haven't quite figured out how to use Sonicfire Pro 5 from within Videowave and can't seem to get enough informaton to satisfy my basic needs.

I really skimmed over this part of your post. However, when I saw Steve's comments on it, I wanted to add something.

First, I agree with Steve, that there are possibly underlying problems, an the behavior of the Roxio product is likely a manifestaton of those. I'd look closely at your system and your OS, just to make sure that there are no issues there, and that it IS a problem with Roxio.

Next, I need to point out one big thing with using Adobe software, that burns to DVD. All of the programs, that do so, MUST have 100% control of the DVD burner. Roxio, Nero and some other programs, have what are called "packet-writing" modules. What these essentially do is, upon boot, they "hook" the burners and tell the OS that they are virtual HDD's. Roxio's DLA and Nero's InCD are but two. When this happens, Adobe gets a message telling it that there are no DVD burners on the computer. This is because the OS now thinks that each burner is really a HDD. Adobe tells the user, "hey, I can't find any burner on this system!"

There are two ways around this:

1.) completely remove the DLA/InCD module with a complete uninstall and cleaning, then reinstalling the Roxio, or Nero, in Custom Install Mode, and NOT choosing the packet-writing modules. I also recommend NOT installing any "sniffing, indexing" or "watching" modules too. These are almost always trouble, waiting to spring up and bit you.

2.) using ImgBurn to do the physical burning to DVD. Like in the Wizard of OZ, ImgBurn will "look behind the curtain," and say, "heck, there really is a DVD burner back there. It just looks like someone is trying to fool me... " It will find the real burners and use them. Adobe software will not bother to look and believe the message from the OS.

Just wanted to point this out early on. If you do the trial, and get a "Burner not found," you now know why. I do not know the particular Roxio product that you mention, but if it's part of any of their suites, you most likely have DLA installed too. It WILL prevent any Adobe product from seeing your DVD burner. Uninstalling, cleaning and reinstalling in Custom Installation Mode is the ONLY way around using Adobe to burn DVD's.

I'd guess that a good 5% of the posts to this forum are related to "Burners Not Found."

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Will the Photoshop/Premiere Elements 7 bundle fit my needs?Thank
                          FalvinP Level 1

Thank you both for your replies.  There's a lot of info to digest, so I'll hold off making any comments for now.  I just wanted to thank you again for your help.

• 10. Re: Will the Photoshop/Premiere Elements 7 bundle fit my needs?Thank
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Just let us know if we missed something, or if you have any other questions. We'll do our best.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Will the Photoshop/Premiere Elements 7 bundle fit my needs?Thank
                              FalvinP Level 1

I’ve been thinking about Steve’s comment about “our Roxio software” (I presume he forgot the “Y” on “your”  lol) being perhaps more of a system software/hardware situation than the specific software itself.  In view of this, I’ve added a sig, which shows what I have in my system, built in November 2007.

My Windows experience Index score is 5.5, driven down by the cpu score of 5.5.

The individual categories are:

Processor:              5.5

Memory:                 5.9

Graphics:                5.9

Gaming graphics:    5.9

Primary hard disk:   5.9

I thought that perhaps my video card was affecting the program. 

Anyway, it turns out that my project was broadcast on the local cable access channel without sound.  My contact said that while the soundtrack played in Windows Media player, it wouldn’t play when it was broadcast.  He thought it might have to do with the way Roxio encoded the video.

I guess I will be switching to Photoshop/Premiere Elements at some point.  The cable access channel uses Premiere in a lot of their productions.  I’m investigating (with little hope of success) to see if I would qualify for a discount for CS4 Production Premium through a relative who works in education.  If I qualify, I’d go for that suite.  If not, I’ll go ahead and order the Photoshop/Premiere Elements bundle through Amazon, which is no $20 more expensive than the great deal I mentioned earlier.   

I’ll have to wait until I hear back from my relative to see what direction I’ll be going.

BTW, I'm able to copy and paste into this box from Word by using either keyboard shortcuts or going up to the edit menu.  It won't work with right click shortcut menus.

• 12. Re: Will the Photoshop/Premiere Elements 7 bundle fit my needs?ThankI didn't
                                FalvinP Level 1

I don't know why the line about waiting for my relative was so big!  I didn't do any formatting to it..........

• 13. Re: Will the Photoshop/Premiere Elements 7 bundle fit my needs?Thank
                                  the_wine_snob Level 9
                                  it turns out that my project was broadcast on the local cable access channel without sound.  My contact said that while the soundtrack played in Windows Media player, it wouldn’t play when it was broadcast.  He thought it might have to do with the way Roxio encoded the video.

Regarding the loss of Audio, can you tell us a bit more about how you Exported from Roxio and then how you delivered the material to the TV station. There might be something there that could be easily addressed, and could also play a role in how you do it, should you go to PrE. I'd hate for you to have to experience the same thing, just in a different program.

Thanks, and good luck,

Hunt

• 14. Re: Will the Photoshop/Premiere Elements 7 bundle fit my needs?Thank
                                    FalvinP Level 1

Interesting thought………….  I sure have a lot to learn.

I exported my project in Videowave as Mpeg-2 for DVD best quality.  When I played the file on my big monitor, the whole thing looked a little soft.  I thought my camera might be front focusing or something like that.  I then copied the file from my hard drive to a sandisk cruzer 4 gb thumb drive.  Before I was able to copy it the following message appeared:

“Are you sure you want to copy this file without it’s properties?  The file xxxxx2009 v2 Mpeg-2 DVD Best has properties that cannot be copied to the new location.”

When I took it to the tv station the production played properly on Media Player, but it also looked a little soft as well.

I couldn’t tell anything that wasn’t there after I copied it, but something must have been lost.  I know the thumb drive has the FAT32 file system and my computer and the tv station computer are undoubtedly NTFS.  I wonder if that has anything to do with things?  Right now I’m at a loss.  You are correct in that I’d be disappointed if I were to expend the expense and time to learn another program, just to have it do the same thing.

• 15. Re: Will the Photoshop/Premiere Elements 7 bundle fit my needs?Thank
                                      the_wine_snob Level 9
                                      “Are you sure you want to copy this file without it’s properties?  The file xxxxx2009 v2 Mpeg-2 DVD Best has properties that cannot be copied to the new location.”

Odd message, that. I have not seen, nor heard of it before. I am totally stumped.

Now, MPEG-2 compression is the DV-standard. It's good, but not great. Viewing a well-produced MPEG-2 on a TV is usually far better looking, than viewing it on a hi-def computer monitor, especailly at full-screen. That is why the pros view (color and sharpness) on a calibrated SD CRT monitor. Now, various flavors of HD are presenting all sorts of issues, and most have not been adequately addressed, even by the pros, yet. So many variables now.

For a test of your MPEG-2, I'd Burn to a DVD RW disc, and play it on your set-top player, hooked to an SD TV. That is still the test, but will be changing, per the paragraph above.

As for your FAT-32 vs NTSF, the limitation will be file size. On FAT-32, you can only get ~4GB of data in one file. With NTSF, you are not really limited. If your Duration, and Export settings yielded a file < 4GB, that should not be an issue. That said, I do not know why the Audio would be missing.

One thing to think about is that the MPEG-2 (DVD-Video spec.) file can have a muxed Audio stream of either PCM/WAV (uncompressed), or DD AC3 (some compression) in either DD stereo, or DD 5.1 SS. What Audio format did you use for your Export? It could be that the TV station could not handle, say an AC3 muxed Audio stream, especially if you chose DD 5.1 SS Audio. Just guessing here.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Will the Photoshop/Premiere Elements 7 bundle fit my needs?Thank
                                        FalvinP Level 1

When I output the project to video, I used video output as Mpeg-2 for DVD, Best quality.

When this choice is selected two lines show up underneath:

Video:  Roxio Mpeg-2 Video Encoder, 720x480, 29.97fps, 9Mbps, Interlaced

Audio:  Roxio AC3 Audio Encoder, stereo, 48kHz, 16 bit, 320 Kbps

I'm not sure what all this means, but I do notice a reference to AC3, which you mentioned in your post.

As far as I can tell, the video and audio details are determined by the video quality choice made in the dropdown list and can't be changed.

I wonder if I would be able to modify the type of audio if I used another program?

On a side note I put my system specs in my profile.  I thought they would show up in a sig like in other forums.

Also, I've been looking at Proshow Producer and it looks very interesting.  It has a Lightroom 2.0 plug in for it that looks interesting also.  I'm not sure about what capabilities Lightroom has that Photoshop/Premiere Elements  7 has or doesn't have.

Thanks for your input.

• 17. Re: Will the Photoshop/Premiere Elements 7 bundle fit my needs?Thank
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                          Audio:  Roxio AC3 Audio Encoder, stereo, 48kHz, 16 bit, 320 Kbps

Can you choose PCM/WAV, as an Audio format for the muxed MPEG-2 file? The reason that I ask, is because some programs play fast and loose with the Dolby Digital (DD) specs. I know of many, that claim to do DD 5.1 SS via AC3, and they do not. It will play in their own player, in a semblence of DD 5.1 SS, but not on most set-top players. That is why it costs about US$250 to get the SurCode DD 5.1 SS plug-in for PrPro.

Also, AC3 can be DD AC3 stereo (probably your case). This is one of the DVD-spec. Audio streams for DVD-Video (PCM/WAV being the other). Still, if these programs use a reverse engineered version of the DD 5.1 SS CODEC, there is nothing to say that they would not do the same for AC3 stereo, just to save paying a royalty to Dolby Labs. My guess is that this is the issue. I'd also guess that your DVD-Video would play OK in the Roxio DVD software player, just not on most equipment.

Good luck,

Hunt

Note: Adobe Encore crates 100% DVD-compliant DVD-Videos, regardless of whether one uses AC3 (stereo, or DD 5.1 SS), or PCM/WAV. They pay the royalty to Dolby Labs. The additional royalty is why the encoder to DD 5.1 SS costs so much, but it's legit and can bear the Dolby Digital logo, through SurCode.

• 18. Re: Will the Photoshop/Premiere Elements 7 bundle fit my needs?Thank
                                            FalvinP Level 1

Thanks again, Hunt, for your input.  I’ve had a LOT of information to digest…..  I don’t understand half the terms you used!  I have a lot to learn.

Concerning how I output my production………….  If I go to the next level down from what I had originally output the production to (Mpeg-2 for dvd best quality), the choice becomes Mpeg-2 for dvd better quality and the audio part becomes PCM, Stereo, 48kHz, 16 bit, 1.46Mbps.  I presume that if I output the production in this format that I might have better luck in having the production play with audio on the cable access station.

As a side note, you mentioned that my current production would possibly not play on most set top dvd players.  It plays on my low budget player at home, as well as one out of two of my parents dvd players at their house.  It played perfectly on the dvd player built in to their tv, but when played on their set top dvd player it played about 2/3 of the way through and then froze up.  The production was burned to a dvd-r disk because I had read that there was a better chance of it playing properly on most dvd players.

I took the high def version of the production on a thumb drive to a friend’s house.  He hooked up his laptop to his high def tv and it played perfectly.  It looked absolutely spectacular!

I’m still trying to decide what software to go to.  Would I have the same issues with audio if I was to go with the Photoshop/Premiere Elements bundle?  The same question applies to Proshow Producer, which I understand can also output to different video formats.  I looked at that product and it looks very interesting.

• 19. Re: Will the Photoshop/Premiere Elements 7 bundle fit my needs?Thank
                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Would I have the same issues with audio if I was to go with the Photoshop/Premiere Elements bundle?  The same question applies to Proshow Producer, which I understand can also output to different video formats.

This is a very good question. I do all of my SlideShows in PrPro, with the use of Photoshop. I would assume that the PrE/PSE combo would be very close, especially as PSE actually offers a SlideShow-to-PrE function, that the full PS does not.

However, I am also looking at ProShow Producer in anticipation of even larger, more complex SlideShows. It, and ProShow Gold, get great reviews from many pros, who do little but SlideShows. I have not yet made that purchase.

I don’t understand half the terms you used!  I have a lot to learn.

I'm sorry for using too much jargon. Please ask about any terms, and I'll do my best to define these for you, as they apply to the context of my replies.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 20. Re: Will the Photoshop/Premiere Elements 7 bundle fit my needs?Thank
                                                FalvinP Level 1

Thank you for your reply Hunt.  I figured that you were gone for a few days, but I also had a concern that you weren't getting notified of my posts via email notification.    I added an errant 0 at the end of my email when I registered, and only noticed it after my last post.  I figured that the replies were generated by the screen name and not the email address, but stranger things have happened.........When I saw you hadn't posted for about four days I knew you had other things going on like making a living, life, etc......    Again thank you for the time you have given me in my short time here.

Now to update my situation.     

Since my main thrust is creating slide shows, with just a tiny bit of video thrown in, I decided to download a trial version of Proshow Producer.  I played with it and even called the customer support number a few times to ask questions.  The next day I downloaded (and bought the boxed version for $20 more) the registered product.  At the outset I couldn't be more pleased.  I watched several videos on Youtube and the Photodex site and did some reading.

I even signed up for an online class, which was a little bit of a dissapointment because I had no audio through the entire thing.  I talked with both Photodex and iLinc (the webinar subcontractor to Photodex) and they were both very helpful, although they couldn't solve my problem during the webcast.  However, the next day a representative from iLinc left a message with his direct phone number.  I called him back and he proceeded to spend an hour and a half with me trying to figure my problem out.  BTW, he had never encountered my problem before, but, an hour and a half later, combined with discussions with no less than three of his co -workers, taking over my screen so he could check some things out, etc etc. he was finally able to solve my problem with a simple checkmark (removal or additional.....don't remember which) deep within the framework of Vista.  I try to find the answers to things on my own, but if I'm stuck I really enjoy being able to get a quick response from both Photodex and iLinc.

I didn't ask for a refund because I had earlier downloaded the course materials and knew I'd be able to view the webinar later, which I did.  It was quite funny to IM the instructor while not knowing what the heck she was saying!

After viewing several productions on Youtube and the Photodex site I learned one thing..........  It really helps to have properly exposed and processed photos to put into the production.  This means RAW!  I've never shot in raw before with my Nikon D90.  To start I'll be shooting both raw and Jpeg, but I plan to abandon jpeg altogether, execpt in specific circumstances.  Therefore, I decided to go ahead and get the Photoshop/Premiere Elements 7 bundle.  It was either that or Lightroom 2.4.  Lightroom is very cool, but the lower cost, plus the fact that at this point I don't need the vast workflow enhancements it contains led me to buy the bundle.

That's where I stand now.  I just ordered the bundle today, which will take about a week to receive, so I won't be able to process my raw pictures until then.  I'm sure I will have many questions along the way, esprecially when it comes to processing raw files.

One last thing..........  One part about producing slide shows that I especially enjoy is putting in the music soundtrack and getting some sense of timing of the slides to the music.  You should have heard me squeel in delight when I found the audio "record slide timing" feature.  I can't wait to experiment with it further.

Thanks again!

• 21. Re: Will the Photoshop/Premiere Elements 7 bundle fit my needs?Thank
                                                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Yes, I was in Colorado for a week, and am just now trying to catch up.

Glad that you got the training material's Audio issue fixed. With Audio, there are so very many places that one has to adjust settings. Then, add an NLE (Non Linear Editor), or similar, and you then have even MORE places to make adjustments! As I do not use Vista, I have no clue what might be hidden under the hood, but you got the right folk, so all is good.

I also shoot almost all RAW, and process in PS w/ ARC (Adobe RAW Converter), saving as .PSD's for all of my steps. I keep things in .PSD, even when I resize for Video, but am not positive how universal that format is with non-Adobe programs. You might find that TIFF is better for you, depending on the exact programs used.

Since these are Adobe fora, they would probably not be the correct place if you hit problems with ProShow. Mention, and light instructions, are not an issue here, but a forum like Muvipix would be a better place for those discussions. Many users there do employ ProShow products, and will likely be able to help quickly. I'll look for your posts on Muvipix, as I can learn some things, regarding the ProShow products. I'm still "fence-sitting," on moving up to Producer, so I'm not a user, but a neophyte with it.

Good luck with your choices. I believe that PSE will handle almost everything that you will need. I did the beta on Lightroom, but as I use PS for all of my image work, decided to not bother with it, upon release. Now, many find it a good substitute for the full PS, but I know little of it, as it exists now. There IS an Adobe Lightroom forum, should you need some good input on that program.

Hunt