2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2009 5:59 AM by DWDurkee

Canvas Hierarchy to BitmapData

DWDurkee

I'm trying to capture the graphic contents of a hierarchy of Canvases to a BitmapData. I'm using BitmapData.draw and passing it the Canvas that contains the hierarchy. However I am only capturing the contents of the root Canvas's Graphics object. None of the contained objects are showing up in the BitmapData. I am creating a hierarchy of Canvases in order to get graphics effects (drawing with a hierarchy of clipping paths) that I can't do in a single Graphics object. Is there any way to flatten this out to a single bitmap?

David

• 1. Re: Canvas Hierarchy to BitmapData
          ShardulSingh Level 3

Hi,

Although I dont understand your problem properly,but still trying to Resolve it.

Below is the code in which I am having a canvas inside canvas and so on.

Then I am capturing the bitmapdata of the outer canvas, and creating a new Image

with that bitmapdata.It is creating the same childeren heerarchy as is in the

oringional Canvas.The code is below.

Main.MXML

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml" layout="horizontal">

<mx:Script>

<![CDATA[

import mx.core.UIComponent;

public function CreateBitmapImage() : BitmapData

{

var bitmapData:BitmapData = getBitmapData( UIComponent( sourceCanvas ) );

targetImage.source = new Bitmap( bitmapData );

return bitmapData;

}

private function getBitmapData( target : UIComponent ) : BitmapData

{

var bitmapData : BitmapData = new BitmapData( target.width, target.height,true, 0x00000000);

bitmapData.draw( target );

return bitmapData;

}

]]>

</mx:Script>

<mx:Canvas id="sourceCanvas" width="500" height="500" backgroundColor="0xFFFFFF">

<mx:Canvas width="400" height="400" backgroundColor="0xFF0000">

<mx:Canvas width="300" height="300" backgroundColor="0x000FF00">

<mx:Canvas width="200" height="200" backgroundColor="0x0000FF"/>

</mx:Canvas>

<!--This will be the Image Created by the BitmapData of the 'sourceCanvas'.-->

<mx:Image id="targetImage" creationComplete="CreateBitmapImage()"/>

</mx:Application>

Pls let me know if you have any problem,or i am unable to understand ur problem.

Shardul Singh Bartwal

• 2. Re: Canvas Hierarchy to BitmapData
            DWDurkee Level 1

Since posting this I have found that it works if I use a Canvas that was already in my view hierarchy (the one I was displaying the content in in the first place) but not if I create a new one as I was doing. Even if I add the new one to the view hierarchy I don't get its children in the bitmap. Maybe it's using it before it's fully initialized that doesn't work.

David