24 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2009 9:02 AM by the_wine_snob

Getting an error "file not supported/necessary componant not installed

jsbs1997 Level 1

Any help on a error im getting, file not supported/necessary componant not installed

• 2. Re: Getting an error "file not supported/necessary componant not installed
          A.T. Romano Level 7

You will need to supply a lot more details.

First, what version of Premiere Elements are you using?

What worked fine until recently, Premiere Elements or the use of that particular file? What happens if you bring in a different file of another format? What happens if you bring the problem file as well as a file of another format into a new project?

What is the description of the problem file, including source, format, and duration?

How are bringing the problem file into Premiere Elements?

Get Media/Files & Folders

Other

And are you dragging your media to the Timeline from the Organizer or Project View Media when you get this message?

If you do not know the properties of the file with which you are using, you could download the free utility called gspot which should help you in that regard.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

Do you have the latest version of Quicktime installed on the computer with the Premiere Elements?

Are you experiencing any other problems with Premiere Elements or any other aspects of your computer operating system which is ???

ATR

• 3. Re: Getting an error "file not supported/necessary componant not installed
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is aimed a Premiere Pro, but may help

First, work through all of the steps here http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting

If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of that link

• 4. Re: Getting an error "file not supported/necessary componant not installed
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Take a look at this ARTICLE on how to gather the necessary info on the file. You probably have a CODEC issue, but without the necessary details, we can only guess.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Getting an error "file not supported/necessary componant not installed
                jsbs1997 Level 1

Hello, 

Premiere Elements 4 is the version I am using. 

when i load in the program, it gives me three options.  When I select open project, I click on a recent file.  once it brings up the location of the file i clikc on the camera icon for that file.  it then says file not supported/ one of the componants wasn't installed.  The file tyep is *.pref 

the problem started when i was burnig is dvd and when it got to 93% a transcode error occured.  that where i am at.

Jesse Shealy  

• 6. Re: Getting an error "file not supported/necessary componant not installed
                  jsbs1997 Level 1

hello,

/thread/440037?tstart=0  what does this mean and how do i use it or find it.

Jesse Shealy  

• 7. Re: Getting an error "file not supported/necessary componant not installed
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Jesse

I just want to go over your details. It sounds like you are either dealing with a damaged project or your are trying to add a project .prel to another project .prel which is a no go. It does not have the ring of a unsupported media file being added to a project which has the file extension of .prel.

Your click on the Premiere Elements 4 icon to bring up the Welcome Screen with the 3 options: New Project, Open Project, and Capture Video. You select Open Project. How many projects do you find there (those are the ones with the file extension = .prel? Is the one that you are clicking on related to the DVD burn project gone bad?

OK, in the Open Project dialog, you click on the project .prel that you want to open. Once you click on the line that says project name.prel, that project should open to the workspace. When you then say...

I click on a recent file.  once it brings up the location of the file i clikc on the camera icon for that file.

Here is where I am losing you.

Could you zero in on that point?

I will check back early tomorrow morning to see where you and the rest of the helpers are at. Maybe we can iron out the details and talk damaged project if indicated unless someone else reads your issue differently.

ATR

• 8. Re: Getting an error "file not supported/necessary componant not installed
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

This is an ARTICLE that explains file format/CODEC's, and how to find what you have. You should be able to launch it, and read it from your browser.

The information provided by G-Spot will help others to help you. Without the details of your source media, and your Project's Presets, all will be guesses.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Getting an error "file not supported/necessary componant not installed
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        The file tyep is *.pref

Jesse,

The file type should be .PREL. That is the Project file for PrE. This ARTICLE will give some background to .PREL (and .PRPROJ for PrPro, the big-brother program to PrE).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Getting an error "file not supported/necessary componant not installed
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          worked fine until this week

When something works one day, but not the next, then something has changed. We need to get the details, to determine what has changed.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Getting an error "file not supported/necessary componant not installed
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt,

My read on the issue suggests that the problem is not in adding media (with codec issue) to a project, but rather trying to open a saved project.

We need to get those details together from the user.

ATR

• 12. Re: Getting an error "file not supported/necessary componant not installed
                              the_wine_snob Level 9

Tony,

That could be correct, but if the media requires a CODEC, that is no longer available, for whatever reason, even a Project will not function properly. The necessary CODEC's will still be required for PrE to handle the media. That is why I am asking for the description of that media.

As something has changed on the OP's system, I would guess that a necessary CODEC has been blown away. Why? At this point, I have no clue, hence the question as to what has changed. Could be as simple as a CODEC pack, that overwrites a necessary CODEC. with a bogus one, or some program, that changes the CODEC necessary, with one that differs enough to make a difference, of changes the priority from a good CODEC, to one that is not so good.

Hunt

• 13. Re: Getting an error "file not supported/necessary componant not installed
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Jesse

Details and systematic troubleshooting will lead to a faster resolution.

Take a look at the following AdobeTech Note regarding Damaged Projects in Premiere Elements 4 and see if going through that systematically helps to get to the core of your issue.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/402/kb402533.html

It looks like the one near the top of the list is a quick and easy way to get started, that is, open a new project and see if you have a problem opening the closed/saved version (see that AdobeTech Note for the details).

ATR

• 14. Re: Getting an error "file not supported/necessary componant not installed
                                  jsbs1997 Level 1

Hello,

Sorry went to bed late last night.  central time zone.

Here is exactly what I do:

1.    Open premiere Elements 4 Version 4.0

2.    select open open new project

3.    get media C-drive from video clips I made on a Camera

then highlite files to import

4.    Do any editing then build menus

5.    select share and burn to disk

6.    burn to DVD-R as I have done inthe past

7.    It now encoding menus and media

8.     Compiling media

9.    Burning to disk

10.    go Figure it worked fine

Test 2

1.    Open exsisting project

2.    select folder project is in

3.    select file to work on

4.    File not suported /one of the componants is missing

5.    So I will start over

test 3.

1.    Select new project

2.    name new file and location   

3.    Get media for a DVD I made off a DVD Player

4.    Click OK to use media downloader to get it off the DVD

5.    Name the file to be saved as

6.    Files now being imported into PE4

7.    It is coping 6 files ie: (VTS_01_1)   etc.....

8.    DVDrw is running

9.    Now adding media

10   Indexing media

11.   Comforming each file

12.    edited movie line

13    Edited Menus

14     Saved project

15.    Click on share

16.    inserted DVD to burn file onto

17.    encoding Menus

18.    Encoding media

19.    What I have noticed is that it takes 30-45mins to encode media

20.    At The 93% mark a Transcoding error Occured

I waited awhile and then cancelled the project

Jesse Shealy  

• 15. Re: Getting an error "file not supported/necessary componant not installed
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Jesse,

Combining elements of two of your Projects, I have a question:

Test 2:

4.    File not suported /one of the componants is missing

Test 3:

7.    It is coping 6 files ie: (VTS_01_1)   etc.....

Are you working with DVD material, i.e. a .VOB, in your Project in Test 2, like you are in Test 3? Did you copy that .VOB to your HDD, in Test 2, or did you just Import FROM a DVD? If the latter, try your Project, Test 2, with that same DVD in the same burner/drive, as you did when you did that Project. If the former, then my theory is wrong, unless you deleted that .VOB, but you should get a totally different error message.

Just trying to work through the possibilities.

Thanks for supplying the details of your tests. Might be helpful there.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 16. Re: Getting an error "file not supported/necessary componant not installed
                                      jsbs1997 Level 1

Hello, I not at home so I will answer best I can

The first test was me taking avi file video clips I had taken with my canon digital camera this project I did as a new one and it worked

The second test I believe was tring to open an exsisting project

The last test was a DVD file that I imported Asa new project. The file type    I can't remember but it hasn't changed from the ones that work. Pe4 worked fine until it went to burn the DVD when I get home I will answer the queston you left

Jesse L. Shealy

• 17. Re: Getting an error "file not supported/necessary componant not installed
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Jesse,

From what you have described for Test 1, 2, and 3, I get the impression that you are OK with a new project, but that your are having problems with these saved projects.

At this point, I think it important for you to keep a log of the project details to avoid confusion.

Test #3.

I am going to start with that Test 3 that was a new project, but almost successful (made it to about the 93% mark before transcoding error set in). I suspect that different factors are involved here than what brought you to the forum. Focus Step 12 in Test #3 where you said that you edited the movie line. How did you edit..added transitions, effects, titles, other? What was the length of the Timeline content? What DVD menu template did you use (how many main menu pages and how many scene menu pages)? When you went to Share/Disc/Disc and the burn dialog there, what did it say in the Quality Area of the burn dialog for Space Required and Bitrate? Also, at this time what did your computer show for available RAM and free hard drive space? Where were your scratch files (Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks) directed and did that drive have enough free space to meet the task?

Test #1.

Your success with this new project was expected. It would be nice to know what kind of .avi that you used, but, whatever they were, they worked to give you your DVD-VIDEO. What was the length of the Timeline content. What DVD menu template did you use (how many main menu pages and how many scene menu pages)? And, I am correct in assuming that this was an independant project...different source media and edits than # 3?

Test #2.

Here I believe is the true issue that brought you here.

When you say "Open existing project", it this the project from Test #1 which you closed and saved? Or, is it another existing project?

If you are not doing so now, please do Test #2 using the saved project prel from Test #1.

Now, I would like you to open Premiere Elements 4, in the Welcome Screen select the "Open Project" Folder, in the dialog that opens click on the Test #1.prel. The project should load, and you should find yourself in the program's Edit workspace. OK, so far? If so, what do you do next?

I was slow in typing again, so I hope that I am not out of sync with other messages between you and Hunt.

ATR

• 18. Re: Getting an error "file not supported/necessary componant not installed
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                          I was slow in typing again, so I hope that I am not out of sync with other messages between you and Hunt.

Tony,

No problem at all. You ask good questions and they will go a long way, depending the results of the tests. Taking notes is a great point, and will help us to better remotely troubleshoot.

I think that you are leaning towards a corrupt .PREL for Test #2. I'm still leaning towards the Assets used in Test #2.

To the OP, exactly what are the Assets that you used in that Project in Test #2? That could be very important, if I am correct. Tony's test will help determine if he's on the right track.

For both of us, it's immaterial who is correct, so long as you can get your Projects to work 100%.

If the Project in Test #2 is corrupt, there may be way to save it, though it does involve some work, and some luck. Until we can zero in a bit more closely, I won't even go into that process, as it's boring and involved. We don't even need to think about it - yet.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS Tony, thanks for your thoughts and help!

• 19. Re: Getting an error "file not supported/necessary componant not installed
                                            jsbs1997 Level 1

Hello,   Just go home to work on the issue again. 

I, read one of the comments below about the time line size. 

I been taking for granted that the size wasn't an issue, since I am importing a DVD that works normally on any player.  Once I edit and clean up gaps and add beeter menus. I never look at the size.  Is it possible your program and some the edditing I do change the size.  The DVD-R with a 120 mins recordable time be the issue???  I now will attemped to redo the raw data on the dvd to meet the 120 mins.  If this works, I will let you know. 

Jesse Shealy  

• 20. Re: Getting an error "file not supported/necessary componant not installed
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Jesse

I am just about to call it a day. But I wanted to add this comment to the part of your project dealing with project size.

Prime Considerations

a. Length of movie (standard DVD disc = 4.7 GB/120 min and DVD Double Layer = 8.5 GB/240 min). Try for 60 to 90 min. content on that standard DVD disc.

b. For now, use as your gauge, Burn Dialog and the Space Required and Bitrate values when you have a check mark next to Fit Content Into Available Space. The program will automatically try to fit your Timeline content onto the disc provided at high quality, but, if it is having trouble doing so, it will lower the Bitrate to make the fit. High quality = 8 so, if you see a Bitrate lower than 8, you are heading for lower quality...too much to fit on that disc for high quality.

I hope tomorrow will bring good news.

ATR

• 21. Re: Getting an error "file not supported/necessary componant not installed
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Jesse

I nearly forgot to mention....you will not see those Space Required and Bitrate values in the Premiere Elements Share/Disc/Disc burn dialog unless you have the DVD disc in the DVD burner drive tray.

ATR

• 22. Re: Getting an error "file not supported/necessary componant not installed
                                                  jsbs1997 Level 1

Hello,

Ok - After editing the time line down and checking the menus etc.  I was able to reach the compile stage and burn the dvd.  I allways thought that the movie fit on the dics that I shouldn't have any problems burning it back to a disc.  To my surprise the DVD Works and is playing fine.

Question, If i upgraded my software, would the new versions warn you after it compiled that it was over the limit of the DVD that is to be burned.  I would of thought the software would of compllied and saved so that you could go back and edite the time line if to large?  AS it stands this version never gets compiled if too large and can not be open after you cancel the task.  If you can open it all you get is Offline for each file.  Maybe the upgrades will take care of this. 

I will test a couple more to be sure if the problem was truely size...... 

Last thing,  Why does it takes so long to encode a movie.  I run on a 32bit hp with duo core and allmost 4gb ram.  a 120 min movie took allmost 45-55 minutes to complete.  Is that normal or do i have some ram issues?

thanks

Jesse Shealy  

• 23. Re: Getting an error "file not supported/necessary componant not installed
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Jesse,

As I use other programs to do my authoring and burning, I cannot comment on what a newer version of PrE might, or might not tell you.

Now, with regards to Media Offline, that should NOT be happening, whether your Timeline is too large to fit onto a DVD-5. Something else is going on there.

Your Transcode times are about right. Encoding to MPEG-2 (the format/CODEC for a DVD-Video), takes some time. You are under RT (Real Time), and cannot expect too much more. One area of your system, that you did not discuss was your HDD setup. That can play a role in MPEG-2 Transcoding, though CPU power is probably #1. What RAM helps with is keeping some of the operations in the faster physical RAM, rather than having to go to the slower, HDD-based Page File.

On my workstation, it takes just a few minutes less than your computer, to Transcode a similar sized file.

Good luck, and please tell us more about that Media Offline. As I said, that should be a totally separate problem.

Hunt

• 24. Re: Getting an error "file not supported/necessary componant not installed
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Jesse

On to this Media Off Line business. "If you can open it all you get is Offline for each file."

What project are you referring to? I ask because you seem OK now with projects that are cut down and are now successful DVD-VIDEOs.

There are several reasons for Media Off Line. First, are you getting Messages from the program asking if you want help reconnecting the Media?

Possible causes for the Media Off Line message and/or the appearance of thumbnails that look like they are in a foreign language. See if any of these apply to your situation:

a. After you closed/saved the project and before you reopened that project, you moved the source media that went into the project from its computer hard drive save location

b. You have your source media on an external hard drive and the drive letter of the external hard drive is changing for some unexplained reason

c. Because of the size of your project, your computer resources are stressed out triggering all sorts of odd Premiere Elements performance.

If you have moved your source media for a saved project, you need to

a. reconnect with the help of Premiere Elements or do it yourself

b. in addition, you will have to right click the thumbnail in the Organizer and select Update to correct that aspect of the reconnect

As always, I will be watching for your progress. You do seem to be making progress, so keep up the good work and thanks for not giving up.

ATR