5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 22, 2009 10:04 AM by the_wine_snob

all but 1 theme per group disappeared after Premiere Elements 4.0 crashed on start of burn to DVD

xspurtCoder

I have a project that is approximately 1 hour in length.  This is the first project I am attempting to burn.  I assigned a theme to the project and then proceeded to burn a DVD.  Before the burn could actually start, PE crashed with a "blue screen" dump.  I rebooted in Windows safe mode, then rebooted back into normal Windows mode.  When I started PE and opened the project, nearly all of the themes were missing!  It appears that only one theme per group remained.

What would have removed or hid the themes?  I would have also expected all or none of the themes, rather than leaving just one per group.  I was using a template in the "General" group, but the one that remained after the crash is not the one I had assigned to my project.

Does a reinstall restore the templates?   If so, can I reinstall PE 4.0 from my CD without erasing, distroying, or losing the current projects I have created?

Thanks in advance for your comments!

• 1. Re: all but 1 theme per group disappeared after Premiere Elements 4.0 crashed on start of burn to DVD
          the_wine_snob Level 9

A Repair Install should repair/replace any missing Functional Content.

As for the BSOD, take a look at this ARTICLE to see if you can find some clues as to what happened.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: all but 1 theme per group disappeared after Premiere Elements 4.0 crashed on start of burn to DVD
            xspurtCoder Level 1

Hunt,

Thanks for the info on the repair install.  I'll try that tonight.

Thanks also for the link to the troubleshooting article.  It looks like an excellent and thorough article.  It will take a while to walk through the list of things to check, but it is very encouraging to see such an informative checklist. I have worked with Dazzle and Pinnacle products in the past and some of the items in these articles ended up on my own list of things to check when weird stuff happened with those products.  I'll make changes one at a time until I find the "fix" and the I'll post the list of things I did, in order, to correct the issue.

THANKS!

• 3. Re: all but 1 theme per group disappeared after Premiere Elements 4.0 crashed on start of burn to DVD
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Good luck.

You have two issues, that are quite possibly intertwined. The first is the system, and the second is the loss of Functional Content. I'd definitely look as deeply, as is possible to the former, so that the latter does not happen again, should they be intertwined.

Let us know what you find. Also, with the troubleshooting article, it bears repeating - there will be useless info. Do look closely at any link, and read that carefully. There should be some clues amongst the "stuff." It just takes time, and patience.

Hunt

• 4. Re: all but 1 theme per group disappeared after Premiere Elements 4.0 crashed on start of burn to DVD
                xspurtCoder Level 1

Hunt,

Before diving into the details of the items in the article, I did a few of the basic things:

• stopped my anti-virus product (doh!)
                • stopped the temperature monitor software (doh!)
                • did a quick disk cleanup
                • turned off all trivial stuff in msconfig

I rebooted the system and started Premiere Elements.  I had not attempted to reload the templates at that point, so I proceeded to "Burn to DVD".  I selected the minimal quality and started the burn.  That worked!   Next I exited PE and restarted it and then was able to successfully "Burn to DVD"  using the max setting for quality. As expected, it took a while to finish, but it also completed successfully!  The resulting DVD looks and sounds great, so the rendering and burn phases seem to be working fine on my hardware.

I noticed on the CD that there is an option to load the themes, so I am going to try loading that today.  I'll post more comments after I get the themes reloaded in case there are other steps involved in restoring those within the program.

• 5. Re: all but 1 theme per group disappeared after Premiere Elements 4.0 crashed on start of burn to DVD
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

First, glad to hear of the success burning!

Next:

I noticed on the CD that there is an option to load the themes, so I am going to try loading that today.  I'll post more comments after I get the themes reloaded in case there are other steps involved in restoring those within the program

Have not encountered that, but have never had reason to look. It sounds like a limited/specific Repair Install, and would definitely be the first thing that I would try. Thanks for pointing out this Option. I will remember it for the future. If all you have is a corruption in your Themes, I'd think (hope?) that this would be all you'd need to do. If not, then I'd attempt a full Repair Install.

Good luck,

Hunt